BBC America HD - Coming This Summer!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would prefer they used the bandwidth to get us BBC-World SD (and maybe CNN-International)! :)

BBC America HD Channel Launch July 20th

Today BBCA's Facebook page had the following message:

"It’s official! BBCA goes HD starting with Torchwood: Children of Earth on July 20. Also that week: the Primeval Season Finale and Being Human on July 25 and Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead on July 26. Talk about an amazing summer!"

I figured BBCA would start the HD channel with Torchwood, since it's their highest rated series, however, I don't expect Dish would add the HD channel upon launch, that doesn't seem to be their style!

Today BBCA's Facebook page had the following message:

"It’s official! BBCA goes HD starting with Torchwood: Children of Earth on July 20. Also that week: the Primeval Season Finale and Being Human on July 25 and Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead on July 26. Talk about an amazing summer!"

I figured BBCA would start the HD channel with Torchwood, since it's their highest rated series, however, I don't expect Dish would add the HD channel upon launch, that doesn't seem to be their style!

DISH is adding MSNBC on June 29th the day that network goes hd , so they might add BBC-hd on opening day. Of course it all depends on the money issues and contracts etc.

I guess we can always hope that since BBCA is part of the Discovery Network group of channels and was supposed to launch last year that negotiations are already in place, but then we be hoping for too much.

Even if Dish does not carry BBCA-HD at launch I would still watch Torchwood and Doctor Who in SD. Was there any announcement about the programming that would air on the HD channel? Will it be an HD version of the SD channel as most of the other national HD channels are?

BBCA started promoting their HD channel "coming soon" at the end of 2007, so hopefully it was pre-negotiated at the same time as Discovery Green HD. Dish did not have an HD version of DG's predecessor channel, so they may have set aside a channel for BBCA-HD at the same time.

BBC America has a number of good programs, but as others have posted, between the editing for our percieved puritan sensibilities and the extremely high percentage of ads per hour, I rarely ever watch it any more. I'd begun to think the 'A' in BBCA stood for Ads. HD won't make much difference to me.

Yeah, if Torchwood isn't announced for HDNet very soon, I'll be watching the British version by whatever means possible (and seeing it without waiting a month too.)

Yeah, if Torchwood isn't announced for HDNet very soon, I'll be watching the British version by whatever means possible (and seeing it without waiting a month too.)

Supposedly. altho' not yet officially confirmed, Torchwood Children of the Earth is to air the same dates in the UK and US.

Torchwood DVD and Blu-Ray Release

It was also announced today, the Torchwood: Children of the Earth DVD and Blu-ray discs will be released on July 28th, a week after the BBCA broadcast. :up

Supposedly. altho' not yet officially confirmed, Torchwood Children of the Earth is to air the same dates in the UK and US.

What, on HDNet? That's good news if true, but I'm skeptical. Last time they aired on BBCA first, which was highly annoying because when they came on HDNet they wouldn't be picked up by the timer system as new episodes.

+3 on Top Gear. This is where my DVR earns its pay. They're a breeze to watch without commercials. That show would be sweet in HD.

Not only does BBCA edit TopGear (the best motoring show on TV anywhere IMHO), they also change the music used. The US version is a horribly washed down version of the original.

Ted

Yes, the dreaded rights to use the music in the US. Furthermore, even DVD's released in the US of BBC (or or other UK programs) shows will often have different music. Several of the US DVD released Ab Fab won't use the original theme for that show at the opening and closing because Warner Video won't pay for it. Frankly, that really spoils the whole set-up of mood not to hear the original versions used for AB Fab of the old "Wheel's on Fire."

Yes, the dreaded rights to use the music in the US. Furthermore, even DVD's released in the US of BBC (or or other UK programs) shows will often have different music. Several of the US DVD released Ab Fab won't use the original theme for that show at the opening and closing because Warner Video won't pay for it. Frankly, that really spoils the whole set-up of mood not to hear the original versions used for AB Fab of the old "Wheel's on Fire."
Same thing that turned the DVD re-issue of WKRP into a disaster.

Same thing that turned the DVD re-issue of WKRP into a disaster.

It also delayed the release of Miami Vice Season One on DVD, until they finally decided it was worthwhile to pay the reported millions in fees on the dozens of pop songs used in the show.

It also delayed the release of the outstanding PBS SciFi Movie The Lathe of Heaven on DVD for many years until Michael Jackson sold the rights to the Beatles songs (the song "With a Little Help From My Friends" is crucial to the film).

It also prevents the US broadcast of the UK soccer analysis show The Last Word with Andy Gray.

It also delayed the release of Miami Vice Season One on DVD, until they finally decided it was worthwhile to pay the reported millions in fees on the dozens of pop songs used in the show.

Man, I bet that had to hurt$$$.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)