BBC America not recording correctly

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

render1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Littleton, Colorado
Set up my HR22 to record only the NEW episodes of Top gear and Doctor Who on BBC America. But it doesn't record them.
Don't have this problem on any other channels.

Anyone else experience this or know of a way to correct it?

Check the air date as detroit_fan suggests. Sometimes shows that aired somewhere else on an earlier schedule have the original air date, not the new one for the US.

do the episodes have the "First Aired" date information contained in the show descriptions?

Yes. The most recent shows air date of 2/09/2014. And it did not record. I have to go through the list of Upcoming shows and tell it to get those from 2014 that it missed.

What a pain.

This is a very common problem with shows that have already been aired in Canada. The original aired date is set to the Canadian one not the US one.

Exactly. Stuff like lost girl, top gear, continuum, etc have to be manually restored every week. Different channels, same issue.

I have noticed this too. For example, Saturday night, February 22, 2014 is the season premier but it shows a first aired date of October 28, 2013. Even if it has already aired in Canada or England or wherever, I'm pretty sure it didn't air that early. The next episode, March 1, 2014 shows a first aired date of November 4, 2013. They're off by almost seventeen weeks.

I've checked listings for OTA, Dish Network, TV Guide. They all show the correct data. As near as I can tell, only DirecTV has these incorrect dates. I've noticed it on quite a few other shows spread out over several networks lately. I moved to DirecTV a month ago after about ten years on Dish and I have been generally pleased, but I must admit that I've missed more recordings due to this sort of error in the month I've been with them that I ever missed on Dish. If I can't trust the DVR to record my shows without manually setting a timer for ever single occurrence of a show, the DVR really isn't much good. I hope they get their data corrected soon. This is highly annoying.

Been like that for a long time, but Ive always reviewed my "to do" list weekly on every DVR ive owned (found discrepancies on the hopper as well).

I have noticed this too. For example, Saturday night, February 22, 2014 is the season premier but it shows a first aired date of October 28, 2013. Even if it has already aired in Canada or England or wherever, I'm pretty sure it didn't air that early. The next episode, March 1, 2014 shows a first aired date of November 4, 2013. They're off by almost seventeen weeks.

I've checked listings for OTA, Dish Network, TV Guide. They all show the correct data. As near as I can tell, only DirecTV has these incorrect dates. I've noticed it on quite a few other shows spread out over several networks lately. I moved to DirecTV a month ago after about ten years on Dish and I have been generally pleased, but I must admit that I've missed more recordings due to this sort of error in the month I've been with them that I ever missed on Dish. If I can't trust the DVR to record my shows without manually setting a timer for ever single occurrence of a show, the DVR really isn't much good. I hope they get their data corrected soon. This is highly annoying.

Seems like D* doesn't care about providing a good product. There seem to be more and more new and/or unfixed problems. This one is not just a minor annoyance. I don't have the time to manually do what the DVR is supposed to for me. And it's not a new issue. I started noticing it at least a year ago. I'll check with some friend with Dish service and see if it's a problem there too. I've been with D* for over 10 years. But just one more "minor" problem like this and I'll switch.

If some BBC error on first run dates is your biggest complaint, and you feel they aren't providing a good product over something so minor, you probably wont be happy with any provider. That, or you are just looking for reasons to convince yourself to switch.

Seems like D* doesn't care about providing a good product. There seem to be more and more new and/or unfixed problems. This one is not just a minor annoyance. I don't have the time to manually do what the DVR is supposed to for me. And it's not a new issue. I started noticing it at least a year ago. I'll check with some friend with Dish service and see if it's a problem there too. I've been with D* for over 10 years. But just one more "minor" problem like this and I'll switch.

This isn't Directv's doing. They don't provide the guide data, Tribune does. All you have to do is set your dvr to record all episodes and figure out later which ones you haven't seen yet. It's really not a big deal, at least not to me. If it is for you, then switch!

The Company that handles the guide data for DirecTV does NOT provide the proper Original air date for TOP GEAR. Since your DirecTV DVR doesn't have the proper air date (The AIR DATE is not the same as the Actual Airing of the new episodes) your DVR will not properly record TOP GEAR when you have selected the option of First Run in the Series Manager. Until "Tribune" (the Company providing DirecTV with Guide Data) straightens it out you will not get your DVR to properly record (NEW) episodes.

This is the same for Doctor WHO as in most cases the original AIR data is the date the program aired as NEW in England.

Yes. The most recent shows air date of 2/09/2014. And it did not record. I have to go through the list of Upcoming shows and tell it to get those from 2014 that it missed.

What a pain.
Does not mean that is the date that it actually aired. Just means that is the date it aired on DirecTV. There is information that is sent in the data stream to the DVR, that can set the record flag or not allow recording. Also the PSIP data, can tell the dvr that it is a repeat or different air date, even though the guide data shows differently.

I would set it to record all episodes of a program, so that way it will record, regardless what the guide data shows.

The Company that handles the guide data for DirecTV does NOT provide the proper Original air date for TOP GEAR. Since your DirecTV DVR doesn't have the proper air date (The AIR DATE is not the same as the Actual Airing of the new episodes) your DVR will not properly record TOP GEAR when you have selected the option of First Run in the Series Manager. Until "Tribune" (the Company providing DirecTV with Guide Data) straightens it out you will not get your DVR to properly record (NEW) episodes.

This is the same for Doctor WHO as in most cases the original AIR data is the date the program aired as NEW in England.

It's been like this for a LONG time. Same thing happened when TCM premiered "The Story of Film: An Odyssey" here in the US last Fall. The "First aired" dates were from 2011 which is when it premiered in England.

My series recordings used to work on BBCA, even if the "first airing" date was off a few days.... but now my DVRs are not recording anything off of that channel unless I set it as a manual recording... I wish they could develop DVRs that were a little smarter and would know that even though the original air date was a week ago (or not exactly the date airing here), it is the first time airing on that channel (or in this country) and thus, should be recorded. BBCA is losing some viewers because of this problem.

My series recordings used to work on BBCA, even if the "first airing" date was off a few days.... but now my DVRs are not recording anything off of that channel unless I set it as a manual recording... I wish they could develop DVRs that were a little smarter and would know that even though the original air date was a week ago (or not exactly the date airing here), it is the first time airing on that channel (or in this country) and thus, should be recorded. BBCA is losing some viewers because of this problem.
Has nothing to do with the DVR's or software on them. It is the PSIP data and guide data, that is screwing things up with the recordings. It is like this with all providers, not just DirecTV.

There has been no announcement of the start date for the new season of Doctor Who. I have never had a problem recording my Doctor Who “first run” season pass on BBCA on DirecTV.

There has been no announcement of the start date for the new season of Doctor Who. I have never had a problem recording my Doctor Who “first run” season pass on BBCA on DirecTV.

The past few seasons have not been delayed. They've been airing the same weekend as in England.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)