BBC News Moving to Streaming Only

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
I see that Dish has put up channel 280, the warning that in a couple of weeks that BBC News is moving to streaming only. Same setup as we had with Pursuit a couple of weeks ago.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I see that Dish has put up channel 280, the warning that in a couple of weeks that BBC News is moving to streaming only. Same setup as we had with Pursuit a couple of weeks ago.

This can be a good thing. That will make BBC News available in HD rather than the SD it has always been. It has been HD on Sling for years.

The online notice (on channel 280) states channel 281. I don’t have channel 281 on my H3. Did I miss something?

Appears it’s in the news pack but not in the America’s Everything Pack (or the ones below it)

Definitely an odd arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Looks like slowly but surely dish is starting to transition the SD slate to streaming only rather than firing up an HD feed. To a degree it makes sense, but at the same time, I still feel that it defeats the purpose of having satellite
Exactly! I posted in another thread all the channels that the full HD feed is on Dish Anywhere that isn't on the satellite. Just until a year ago I had data caps and slower speeds that made it really not viable for me to stream the HD channels. But seeing Pursuit and now BBC News - very niche and not as widely viewed channels - it looks like this could be a path for the next handful of years.

They're not removing channels. This is BBC itself doing this.

Is it really though, or is this just Dish using that as an excuse? I have BBC News on Spectrum and DirecTV, and neither have made any statement about the channel changing or going away. I've searched Google as well, and the only reference at all to anything along these lines is a statement the BBC made about "eventually" moving channels off linear to streaming only down the road. That story implied it would be a years long process though.

Is it really though, or is this just Dish using that as an excuse? I have BBC News on Spectrum and DirecTV, and neither have made any statement about the channel changing or going away. I've searched Google as well, and the only reference at all to anything along these lines is a statement the BBC made about "eventually" moving channels off linear to streaming only down the road. That story implied it would be a years long process though.
And that process is now beginning, with DISH.

I agree with Bobby - when I see what Dish has on the website "BBC News is changing to a streaming-only format on all TV providers. DISH will make this format change starting March 6, 2024" it never says that it is going away right now, but Dish is choosing to make the format change on March 6.

I agree with Bobby - when I see what Dish has on the website "BBC News is changing to a streaming-only format on all TV providers. DISH will make this format change starting March 6, 2024" it never says that it is going away right now, but Dish is choosing to make the format change on March 6.

I still say it is deceptive. The wording implies this isn't a Dish decision and isn't their fault, when in actuality it clearly is their decision at this point in time. There are no references anywhere to BBC News switching to streaming at this point on other providers, and the BBC statement implied that based on current trends they might switch to streaming only on all their networks by the 2030's. That's a long time down the road. This clearly is Dish initiated, not BBC initiated at this point in time.

I still say it is deceptive. The wording implies this isn't a Dish decision and isn't their fault, when in actuality it clearly is their decision at this point in time. There are no references anywhere to BBC News switching to streaming at this point on other providers, and the BBC statement implied that based on current trends they might switch to streaming only on all their networks by the 2030's. That's a long time down the road. This clearly is Dish initiated, not BBC initiated at this point in time.
Here is the news story on it from 2022, you are correct about the next decade part, I have not found one news story that says the time table has been moved up-

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't disagree on that. To me this is very similar to what we saw Dish do with ESPN Classic a decade ago. Disney announced in 2013 or early 2014 that ESPN Classic would be shutting down, and Dish shut it down in the fall of 2014. However, Disney didn't shut down ESPN Classic until 2021 or 2022 - almost a full decade after saying it was going to be shut down and the content on it was going to video on demand. My understanding is that as the contracts to carry ESPN Classic expired those providers shut down the linear version. But it took a lot longer than I thought based off the initial Disney announcement.

I don't disagree on that. To me this is very similar to what we saw Dish do with ESPN Classic a decade ago. Disney announced in 2013 or early 2014 that ESPN Classic would be shutting down, and Dish shut it down in the fall of 2014. However, Disney didn't shut down ESPN Classic until 2021 or 2022 - almost a full decade after saying it was going to be shut down and the content on it was going to video on demand. My understanding is that as the contracts to carry ESPN Classic expired those providers shut down the linear version. But it took a lot longer than I thought based off the initial Disney announcement.
You bring up a good point here. Perhaps the BBC 'satellite' contract is ending and Dish and BBC didn't come to terms on a new one. So, Dish already having a streaming contract with Sling (remember Sling and Dish are the same company) they are going forward that way. This way DISH doesn't have to pay BBC twice for the same content.