BBC World news on FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
I have been in the habit of watching BBC World News at 5am on BBC America for several years but suddenly without explanation they've pulled it completely, it's not available at all on BBCA or Dish at all anymore. It was replaced on BBCA with reruns of reruns of reruns of Chef Ramsay. :(

I can't find any BBC content on western FTA KU satellites.

The three threads the site suggested are all 5 years old.

If not available on FTA, is it available on Roku or maybe an app on the Amiko A3?

Thanks.

yeah we get the BBC World News America half hour show OTA on OETA at 5pm daily and the regular BBC World News at 6am on OETA Okla, so you should be able to get it off the FTA feed.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
There are a lot of changes going on at the BBC. I listen to BBC Radio 3 and 4 on a WiFi radio. The stream format keeps changing. There is a lot of speculation regarding about licensing fees, falling income, budget cuts, what content can be exported out of the U.K. etc. I guess time will tell if things will get back to normal.

Ok thanks guys, I get OETA but I hadn't thought to check there. I just searched clear feeds on sathint for "BBC World News" which turned up only a few feeds to the extreme east on C-band. :(

I hope BBC America survives because there is a lot of stuff on there I like. Doctor Who of course, Orphan Black and believe it or not, Top Gear. Long story short, I was too lazy to change the channel one day and left the TV on for background noise as I worked on the computer, Top Gear was on and I noticed how silly it is. I let it run all day and I was hooked. I don't care much about the cars but the guys are a real hoot. What a shame that they burned it to the ground after the "fracas".. I'm sure they're going to take a massive financial loss from that, so far it seems only Hammond MIGHT stay on.. On the other hand, I was alarmed to learn that they have partnered with AMC. I'm deeply worried that BBC content will become tainted with American stupidity. Very little of anything produced in the US worth a flip. Almost every channel on subscription TV now is that scripted reality garbage. The Science channel is now the UFO conspiracy channel and the youtube channel.

I loved the old shows where you actually learned something. Those are gone. Please America, stay out of BBC content, don't meddle. We don't want an American Doctor Who. Top Gear US is rubbish.
And to the BBC, we're tired of endless reruns of Star Trek TNG. We want to see BRITISH SHOWS, not recycled US shows from decades ago. Don't go American.. Just, don't..

And BBC, I would GLADLY pay your license fee if you would let me watch your shows online.

Ok, that's my rant for the day.. Sorry, I had to.

Or even better bring BBC 1,2,3 and some other extra beebs with a license fee on Directv. BTW, Directv just add fulltime BBC world news in HD, but no Subtitles or Closed Captioning so far, and would be nice to add Teletex "E-newpaper":hungry

Michael I was just saying that I could get the signal off of the 125w satellite thats what I meant.

Disney XD just got the rights to Doctor Who series 2,3,4 with David Tennant

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/disney-xd-air-doctor-who/389816

Oh no...... No no no no no...........................
Please tell me they don't have exclusive rights to it.

Or even better bring BBC 1,2,3 and some other extra beebs with a license fee on Directv. BTW, Directv just add fulltime BBC world news in HD, but no Subtitles or Closed Captioning so far, and would be nice to add Teletex "E-newpaper":hungry

I would be happy to pay $216 a year to have full 24/7 access to all BBC content.

Reactions: N5XZS
Dee_Ann said:
I would be happy to pay $216 a year to have full 24/7 access to all BBC content.

There are ways. The following link explains one of them by using an overseas VPN service.
http://www.slowtravels.com/2012/bring-europe-home/watch-british-tv-in-us/

This is what I use. You need to be tech savvy to set this up but once you do its free (after you pay for the hardware. Less than $100)
https://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/overview
On the last page of the instructions you can assign an "exit node" to identify you as being in Great Britain
Then launch BBC iPlayer and enjoy.

Acorn has some interesting but not all British content.
https://acorn.tv/browse/browseall

EDIT: Here is another UK VPN service.
http://www.my-expat-network.com/uk/

Last edited:
Just switched from shaw direct to Bell Aliant fibre. PBS has BBC World news on at 8 EST. Once you set up your OTA antennae, maybe you will get PBS?

Also try giniko.com. Lots of channels there

Just checked giniko, looks like BBC2, BBC3, BBC news UK and BBC world news are free. Also France 24. Nice HD pic. Some you have to pay for. Wish PMC music was free. Miss that channel.

No VPN crap required

Roku has it

Obviously I'm suffering from the dumbs today because I can't find it.
I went to the Roku site and searched the entire site for BBC and it returned nothing at all. ????

On 55w Cband, there are quite a few BBC radio news channels.
On 40.5 Cband, there is radio BBC world service news.

Unfortunately my C-band dishes are still at my old house, I'm weeks or months away from getting them moved simply because I'm not physically capable.
Even so, I wouldn't be able to hit those satellites, 40.5 is around the corner of my house so I couldn't hit it and 55 is pretty low, I think the tall house and a few of the neighbor's trees may make it difficult if at all.

Anything east of 72w is going to be trouble for me. After years of suffering tree grief at my old house I move to a new house with a whole new tree grief issue.
The people across the street are snooty and snobbish so they are not likely to even talk to me about it. We've already had words about their little dog coming over to taunt 350lbs of my dogs.
Then there is one next door and they don't live there, they rent it out. So I have to wait until I can catch them and ask them if I can pay to have their tree (Another STINKING OAK TREE!) topped off a little, it's just a few feet short of cutting me off from 97w and that will not make me a happy camper.

Sling International?
Huh?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts