BD Rot

blaah old article, problem with the prestige yes, not with Blu-ray, DVD has had it, Blu ray has had it, CD has had it, I am suprised HD DVD hasnt had it, its nothing wrong with just blu-ray.

What problem with Prestige? Mine works well and I do not see any 'rot'. I do see wavy lines which I see in most 25GB discs but not in the 50GB discs. I believe this to be normal and it does not affect playback. Must be FUD.

Let's see the Blu-Ray camp embelishes and the HD-DVD camp pushes FUD. You sure are not going to get any straight answers from these two camps are you?

Last edited:
Wow, I read about this potential problem when they were first toying with the idea of BD. Sony really botched this!

Wow, I read about this potential problem when they were first toying with the idea of BD. Sony really botched this!

What are you talking about? sony Botched this? then someone really screwed up because DVDS have the same problem (probably HD DVD's too) also this isnt really widespread in BD just a couple reported, stop spreading the fud.

wow look at this. Never had a DVD do this.

IMG_0931.jpg

just a simple Google or yahoo search will bring up examples of dvdrot, cdrot and all sorts of goodies, again, this is nothing that is BD specific, also with BD it is a small amount of disks that are being taken care of.!

Attachments

• dvdrot.bmp
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,576
it has been reported here that this was seen as a potential problem some time ago. is there some indication that there is something about the BD technology and/or manufacturing that makes this more or less likely than with other disks?

it has been reported here that this was seen as a potential problem some time ago. is there some indication that there is something about the BD technology and/or manufacturing that makes this more or less likely than with other disks?

I had quite a few laserdiscs with rot but I NEVER saw spots like the picture from VURBANO. I believe since BD packs more pits than HD and I think they have a different bonding process, it might account for this

thanks MW that answer at least shows us something that could be leading BD to have a greater exerience with this problem. are there any real stats on how common it is?

blu-ray sucks, boycott sony, spread i...

that is from the youtube video, by the way that is not anything I would base an argument on, also all of this "hysteria" of BD rot is caused by SOME memebers of Avsforum, who by the way is pro HD DVD and anti BD, reporting it and other websits (engagdget, gizmodo) to pick up on it and not fact search just say some avs'ers are reporting it, until I see more, I will say this again, EVEERY DISK (cd, DVD, laser Disk, HD DVD) will have things wrong with them. Also to Vurbano and everyone else Sony does NOT make every Blu ray disc out there, amazingly enough there are more companies that make/back Blu ray so please please please make at least some sense in what you say and not be like a little kid and say oh Sony Screwed up.

blu-ray sucks, boycott sony, spread i...

that is from the youtube video, by the way that is not anything I would base an argument on, also all of this "hysteria" of BD rot is caused by SOME memebers of Avsforum, who by the way is pro HD DVD and anti BD, reporting it and other websits (engagdget, gizmodo) to pick up on it and not fact search just say some avs'ers are reporting it, until I see more, I will say this again, EVEERY DISK (cd, DVD, laser Disk, HD DVD) will have things wrong with them. Also to Vurbano and everyone else Sony does NOT make every Blu ray disc out there, amazingly enough there are more companies that make/back Blu ray so please please please make at least some sense in what you say and not be like a little kid and say oh Sony Screwed up.

I never said it was Sony's fault. All I said was I believe that there is a different bonding process than HDDVD. Toshiba said the same equipment could be altered in a matter of minutes to make HDDVDs. Not so with BD. It must be done on a totally different piece of machinery than red laser DVDs. And from this I believe it could be subject to the rot depicted in the picture.

Pioneer's problem was a combination of the glue used to glue both side of the disc to the outer plastic shell and the water used. Also the "cleanness" of the clean room of the bonding process led to laser rot.

Following is a FAQ from the website known as the laser guru

Q: I recently ordered an LD , but the seller e-mailed me that they were refunding my cost because the LD had laser rot. So, would you please define it for me?

A: Laser rot is a manufacturing defect whereby the two halves of a laserdisc are improperly glued together, allowing air and other impurities to get in between. This causes a visible degradation of the image in the form of multi-colored speckles on screen. It usually starts from the edge and works its way inwards, meaning the beginning or ending of a side first. In extreme cases, it can make the disc unwatchable and may even affect the audio with pops and distortion. It is a condition without a cure, and it gets worse over time. A disc you last watched several years ago may have rotted to the point of unplayability in the meantime. Conversely, there have been cases (I had one) where a disc might be fully rotted as soon as you pull it out of the shrinkwrap.

A rule of thumb is that signs of laser rot will manifest themselves within two years of a disc's manufacture. Since all laserdiscs were manufactured at least that long ago, any disc you watch now without seeing signs of rot will probably not develop them.

It is estimated that the average laserdisc collection will experience 1 - 2% rot. My own collection of about 250 discs only has two verifiable cases of rot, one extreme and one mild, and one disc with some suspicious dropouts that I'm keeping my eye on. Some collectors have experienced higher percentages depending on the type of material that they collect and the manufacturing plant that a number of their discs come from.

The Sony DADC USA pressing plant had a terrible reputation for unclean working conditions which lead to many cases of rot. Sony DADC was the pressing plant of choice for the Columbia Tri-Star studio for many years (Columbia Tri-Star is owned by Sony). Therefore, if a collection has a high number of Columbia Tri-Star titles, it is more likely to experience a higher percentage of rotted discs. You can identify a DADC pressing from its mint marks. I recommend that you see the BLAM Entertainment Group web site for instructions on how to do this. Over the years, most pressing plants had problems with rot at one time or another, but most of them managed to clean themselves up. DADC never did. (Note that only the American DADC plant had the rot problems. Another Sony DADC plant in Europe had a better track record.)

There are also several discs that have a reputation for being "rotters". Among them are the THX letterboxed edition of Willow, Heavy Metal, and the Aliens - Special Edition CAV box set (the latter is one of my two rotted discs, and I have never heard of a rot-free copy of Willow actually existing). If you were going to purchase any of these titles, you would be advised to ask the seller to verify the condition beforehand.

That the seller of your recent disc checked the condition without prompting speaks well toward their reputability.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all video defects are laser rot. Rot has very specific symptoms. It starts as colored speckles that get worse over time and in a worst case scenario spread all over the screen like TV reception static. Many people tend to mistake video dropouts (individual white speckles in fixed locations that are present from the first time you play the disc and never spread or get worse) for rot, when in fact they are not. Nor are rolling dropouts (on CLV discs, a speckle or often pair of speckles that start at the top of the screen and rapidly scroll down until they disappear). Dropouts are caused by inclusions or contaminants that get sealed in the disc when they are pressed. The laser cannot read through them, so you get an artifact on screen in place of that part of the video signal they are blocking. Because this is not a degenerative problem, it is not nearly as serious as rot. Laserdisc is an analog format, so a viewer has to develop a tolerance for certain minor playback anamolies. You learn to accept that some laserdiscs may have dropouts just as you accept that some DVDs have compression artifacts. After a while you learn to ignore them. So long as the problem is not something that will worsen, it is not worth getting concerned about.

So, if the bulk of BR disks are made by Sony DADC or their partners, there MAY be a chance that they are producing some bad discs.

It's just a matter of physics that as you pack more info into a smaller space, any error on the recording surface effects readability (or playability in this case)

Oh Im sorry I thought Sony developed BD technology. :rolleyes:

The name Blu-ray Disc is derived from the blue-violet laser used to read and write this type of disc. Because of its shorter wavelength (405 nm), substantially more data can be stored on a Blu-ray Disc than on the DVD format, which uses a red, 650 nm laser. A single layer Blu-ray Disc can store 25 GB, over 5 times the size of a single layer DVD at 4.7 GB. A dual layer Blu-ray Disc can store 50 GB, almost 6 times the size of a dual layer DVD at 8.5 GB.
Blu-ray Disc is similar to PDD, another optical disc format developed by Sony (which has been available since 2004) but offering higher data transfer speeds. PDD was not intended for home video use and was aimed at business data archiving and backup.

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some more titles to be on the lookout for.

In June of 2007, numerous reports of Blue Ray disk rot began to appear on various websites. However the initial source derived from the AVS forum, where different people reported similar decay to such titles as Prestige, Stranger Than Fiction, Departed, & Gone In 60 Seconds.
CD rot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts