Beaten by Trees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmic Thing

Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I am sorry to report that my first FTA installation has failed due to tree blockage. I was so happy when I found a Primestar Channel Master 90 cm round dish by the side of the road on trash day and used it instead of the Fortec 80 cm dish I bought. I tried it with the stock LNB as well as the new Creative Works LNB that came with the Fortec dish. The best signal I could get was 20% with 10% quality on a CW-500S receiver. A blind search of Galaxy 28 found no channels. If time permits this weekend, I plan to try again using the Fortec dish. Does anybody have any idea of the offset angle of the Channel Master dish as compared to the Fortec dish. Any suggestions to help me with this problem will be appreciated.:(

Sorry I can't help with the offsets but it's a little known fact that a chainsaw can be invaluable in clearing up satellite TV feeds. Ask me how I know (the wife got over it......eventually! ). :)

I am sorry to report that my first FTA installation has failed due to tree blockage. I was so happy when I found a Primestar Channel Master 90 cm round dish by the side of the road on trash day and used it instead of the Fortec 80 cm dish I bought. I tried it with the stock LNB as well as the new Creative Works LNB that came with the Fortec dish. The best signal I could get was 20% with 10% quality on a CW-500S receiver. A blind search of Galaxy 28 found no channels. If time permits this weekend, I plan to try again using the Fortec dish. Does anybody have any idea of the offset angle of the Channel Master dish as compared to the Fortec dish. Any suggestions to help me with this problem will be appreciated.:(

The Primestar 90CM dish is "hotter" (better signal) than the Fortec dish. So, if the Primestar can barely pull in a signal where your pole is located, the Fortec certainly won't do any better. Move the pole, or a chainsaw will help!

Don't just assume that the trees are in the way, but make the inclinometer that was discussed in a previous thread and with a compass do a site survey to see if it is the cause of your problems or not.

if nothing else... move pole to the south of trees... or if necessary, use a mount and mount on the tree that's furthest south.

Hey, wait a minute, we missed the obvious: 20% SIGNAL level means you are having an issue with your connection to your lnb. QUALITY is the signal strength from the satellite transponder you are aimed at floating in space. If your SIGNAL only shows 20%, you have a problem with something like a bad lnb, lnb offset not right, cable problem between the receiver and lnb, or too LONG of a cable between lnb and receiver. If BOTH lnb's show a 20% signal, (mighty fishy) then you best take your receiver out to the pole, and hook it up with a short cable to the lnb, and see what happens. If signal goes UP, replace the cable going into your house, or possibly change the onnector ends, etc.

Thanks for your suggestions! Can't cut trees that belong to the neighbors and the city. Going south only gets deeper into the trees plus mud and snakes. I built a "poor man's inclinometer" today and measured the trees along the southern edge of my property from the northeast corner of my property. An incredible 75 degrees. WOW! I need to use 56.4 degrees elevation for Galaxy 28 at my location. I am going to try some more troubleshooting and tweaking at the current dish location before moving to the northeast corner. I can get a signal on my cheap satellite meter with no attenuation but it cannot overcome any attenuation when applied. I will try again with another jumper cable. The good news (I hope) is that I bought a larger (100 cm?) Primestar dish for $20. and it will be tried out this weekend.

I feel your pain also. I just finally had a chance to put a motorized 1 meter dish at my second home in upstate S.C. Solid tree line to the east, south and west but about 500 feet away. i can get a few birds from 89 to 121 west but only strong transponers and not a sign of 123 my main goal! Next time I go up I am going to try a chimney mount and hope I can clear them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts