Because of obstructions we're

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

newone1

Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
USA
Because of obstructions we're unable to see the right combination of DISH satellites to get all the channels (particularly HD ones) that we're paying for. I need to look at DirecTV as an alternative, and I don't understand which satellites DirecTV uses. TheList only shows three: 101W, 110W, and 119W. Do those three birds carry all of the DirecTV channels for ConUS? What about local channels, which I assume are spotbeams from some satellite. We're in the Houston, TX market. Would appreciate any background or links to other resources with such information

Directv would be 99/101/103

101 is SD
99 & 103 is HD (including locals)

110 is vacant
119 has mainly Spanish channels

Unless you NEED Spanish channels (other than Galavision and Univision) they would install a SL3 which is the 3 I posted at the beginning

Where are you located? Hard to tell which satellites you were looking at on DISH since we dont know what state your in. :D

Because of obstructions we're unable to see the right combination of DISH satellites to get all the channels (particularly HD ones) that we're paying for. I need to look at DirecTV as an alternative, and I don't understand which satellites DirecTV uses. TheList only shows three: 101W, 110W, and 119W. Do those three birds carry all of the DirecTV channels for ConUS? What about local channels, which I assume are spotbeams from some satellite. We're in the Houston, TX market. Would appreciate any background or links to other resources with such information

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The 101 satellite carries virtually all of the channels you would need if you only want sd. If you want hd, then you would need to get 99 and 103. Where you are these satellites are close to due south.

We're in the Houston area also with a similar problem. I had to look twice at your posting to make sure it wasn't a question I posted just last week. See http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/279967-satellites-does-directv-use.html. Those folks were a huge help answering my questions about DirecTV. I just worked my obstruction problem with DISH today, and I think we'll be happy staying with DISH for now.

A few years ago we were switched from DISH's 110, 119, and 129 satellites to 110, 119, and 61.5, because trees were obstructing 129. (We have two dishes - a 500 with dual LNB [110 & 119]and a 300 with single LNB[61.5].) We got most of our HD channels fine from 61.5, but over the past 6-8 months we started losing our HD channels. With the Dish Network Uplink Center (The DISH Network Uplink Center) it was clear that dish was transferring HD channels in that eastern arc from 61.5 to 72.7. With the DishChannelChart! (Your Page Title) tables I was able to see what channels we would receive with various satellite combinations. Today a DISH tech reoriented the single dish from 61.5 to 72.7, and now we're getting all the HD channels in our package (AT250). I'm a happy camper as long as DISH doesn't move those HD channels off of 72.7. However, if they do, we'll be switching to DirecTV.

Do you know what satellites you are using now? If you want to reconsider switching, I might be able to help you shortcut all the analysis I did.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)