Been gone for a while, getting back up to speed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rowdy235

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Hi all,

Last time I was on I had just got a DSR920. After replacing my actuator, I still couldn't get a solid lock on much of anything, so I replaced my Feedhorn with an LNBF, it got a lot better, but still not great, the dish was too blocked in by the trees. I scrapped the dish and sold the DSR920.

I just bought a new place that came with a 6' or 8' mesh dish. I checked it out the other day, its in good shape, I will be using my actuator and LNBF since they are practically brand new.

But I need a receiver. I have a GI 2710R in moth balls I am tempted to pull out, but it seems all the analog stuff is gone, is this true? With that receiver, is a 905 the best way to bring in digital? I keep hearing about the 410, any opinions on that?

I like tinkering with these systems a lot, I don't like the idea of always being on one satellite like the 410 systems. Is there any free digital left?

Hi and welcome back to the Forum! There is close to a dozen analog channels left up there along with plenty of other types.

I would start with looking at "the list" at the top of the forum page and you will see there is quite a bit to watch on C band digital that is True Free to Air with no subscription. I have an OpenBox S9 and am very happy with it. You also need to measure that dish of yours to see what diameter it really is. Big difference in catching some of the S2 signals.

Don't know if you're looking to subscribe to get channels or would be interested in FTA. Skyvision has, listed on their website, what's still available with a DCII sub. Not what it used to be from what I've read. For me, there's enough FTA to keep me occupied. TheList!
C band rocks: 87, 91, 97, 99, 101, 103, 105, 107.3, 121, 137.
Ku - 30W, 83, 87(UND Hockey), 97,are my "FOR SURE" FTA sats.

Last edited:
I would be looking more for a subscription, is a DSR 905 good enough to pick up any of skyvision's offerings? I think this weekend I may hit the skies with the analog to see whats out there :)

I would be looking more for a subscription, is a DSR 905 good enough to pick up any of skyvision's offerings? I think this weekend I may hit the skies with the analog to see whats out there :)

I would check with Skyvision about subbing a 905 like FaT Air suggested. Do you have a 905 yet? They are not easy to find. The 905's only advantage is that they cannot get their maps corrupted when pointing at the bird with Starchoice maps.

I would go back to a 920 or 922 on a 10 foot BUD and piggyback a FTA receiver like a Openbox along with a lnbf. OR if you have the 905, piggyback the 905 onto a Openbox along with a Gbox or Vbox positioner to move the 10' BUD. The Geosat Pro Micro HD receiver is due out soon and may be a good one to wait for! ;)

Use the 6 or 8 footer for now but try go dish hunting for a 10 footer! You will find more stuff up there with the bigger dish! :D

Last edited:
I don't have a 905 yet, but I can get one for $50. I am thinking I am going to do that for a while.

It sucks what they did, making it all on one satellite. Maybe its time to get a DSR-410. Heck, maybe its time to go FTA

I don't have a 905 yet, but I can get one for $50. I am thinking I am going to do that for a while.

It sucks what they did, making it all on one satellite. Maybe its time to get a DSR-410. Heck, maybe its time to go FTA

I do not think that you will loose out with a $50 905. Once you are done with it you should be able to get your money back on Ebay. The 905 was designed to piggyback onto a analog C band receiver to ad DCII channels and use the analog receiver as the positioner. The 410 currently when subbed to SRL or Skyvision only receives stuff on W5. So the 905 (Or the 920/922) would add the chance to receive any Digicipher channels that are in the clear. You can sub with either a 410, 905 (Check on it first), 920 or a 922 plus receive ITC channels (Not on the 410) and add a FTA receiver to open up the skies and enjoy! Then you add more dishes and another receiver and... !!! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts