Been With DISH 48 Hours And Am NOT Happy!

misterjerry

Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Lewiston, Idaho
Well, it's been 48 hours now, and I'm already unhappy with DISH. When I signed up for the service on 13 July I specifically requested that I have an HD DVR with my package.

During the installation on the 23 July, I noticed that the "DVR" was very small in overall size. I asked the technician if that was a HD DVR, and he said yes. I didn't think much of it at the time, until Saturday when I tried to "program" the box. Well there is no way to program it because you can't program a 211 box!

Needless to say, I am very unhappy; so I called DISH last night. The first time I called, I was cut off mid conversation, The second time around, the customer told me that I would have to upgrade; costing me about $200.

I should not have to be jerked around like this, because the CS rep who took my order and a tech that doesn't know his own equipment messed it up. Now I'm stuck with a mess to straighten out. By the way, I have a transcript of the initial order conversation with Customer Service.

All I want is to have the setup I originally wanted and correctly installed. :rant::mad:

So you signed a work order completed for a box without even verifying that it was capable of being a DVR?

He asked the installer if it was an HD DVR and was told it was. He's a new customer who is probably not familiar with what Dish boxes look like. Are you saying he should automatically assume the installer was not telling the truth? This is in no way the customer's fault, and you shouldn't be trying to put the blame on him.

Send an e-mail to ceo@echostar.com and explain the situation. They should be able to help you out.

So you signed a work order completed for a box without even verifying that it was capable of being a DVR?

He shouldn't have to, that's the job of the company he's paying money to do the job right and if they mess up they should fix it promptly.

If the OP ordered a HD DVR and asked the installer to verify that he was being provided with a HD DVR as per his order...well, that pretty much meets the due-diligence requirement. As mentioned, the OP only discovered the mistake post-installation after having time to sit-down and use the equipment. Remember, not everyone is familiar with Dish Network equipment. Additionally, the installer has a due-diligence requirement to verify the customer's order, and the customers service expectations, prior to performing any work - and he should sit-down with the customer(s) to familiarize them with the equipment and address any potential concerns in the process. Again, this is how I would handle business as a Dishnetwork technician...and I expect the same from others working for or contracted by Dish Network.

To the OP: I would gather proof of your order and immediate cancel service unless Dish Network corrects your order to your understanding. It's up to you. Of course, you really never should have signed the order until you verified the order was, indeed, complete and you were satisfied with the setup. Anyway, good luck in getting your problem resolved.

This could be a blessing in disguise..its MUCH cheaper to add a Hard drive to a 211 than actually have a DVR.. The 211 has usb port that will accept an external drive..it will cost a one time fee of $40 to enable the feature

Unless it's changed you should have what's call a 0-30 day upgrade period. Meaning you have 30 days to change your mind on what equipment you want, and still get it for the price you would have paid on the original install. I find allot of what's called "pay in advance" customers will say they set up for DVR service, and we find out the sales partner pulled the old "told them what they wanted to hear trick" only to let the technician deal with it on install day. Yes I know it's shady, but if the tech said "If they told you you was getting "X" then you should get "X"." Which means. Then yes you should of got "X", but you're getting "Z", and I'm not in the mood to deal with it today.

I have to agree here... its like buying a SUV and asking the sales man if it really is a corvette and they saying it is and you believing it is. Either way, the tech should have showed you how the DVR worked as part of the "Basic instructions" they are required to give for all New Connects...and obviously they didn't.

I'm a bit curious as to the time the install was done also? Also something doesn't sound right cause a work order is setup for a certain box, and activation often will NOT work on a different box than what the work order is called for so something sounds fishy...

Smell test

I am not thinking this is the whole story, If all is as stated then he should get the DVR, at no cost ASAP. A few points. First I believe at least in my state you have 30 days to get out of that contract. After that you are screwed or have to settle. Few questions, when an installer is at your/my house. You have asked for a DVR, yet you never asked how it worked before he left? And this would be only if you didn't know how they worked which has been stated new costumer and all. Then you waited a day to even play with it, really? This site would have worked to research the equipment as well scream for help. I can't believe you can't get the equipment changed no matter who's fault it was. Whats the up side to not helping you? Was this thru Dish or a third party installer and company? Just seems like a whole lot of upset about maybe having to wait. Call CS ask for Customer retention department. explain your problem comely. No you shouldn't have to, but will get better results. Good luck

There is no 30 day grace on the contract, there is no 30 day upgrade window. The equipment the install on the initial visit is what you get... PERIOD!

I have been through this 3-4 times during the past few months with my customers, and its either the customers fault for not requesting the DVR at the time the order was built, or its the sales persons fault for not entering it correctly on the order.

Out of the 4 simmilar issues I had, 2 times the customer declined to go with the DVR when the sales rep offered to sell the customer one. Unfortunatly for those customers, there was nothing I could do. The other 2 times my agent messed up and 1 case put in a standard definition DVR by mistake when they build the order, or forgot to add the DVR. In both cases where we screwed up I ended up paying the $200 upgrade fee for the customer.

You need to find out who you signed up with and go back to them and have them starighten out this mess. Whoever wrote out the order incorrectly is the one who is paying to fix it.

As far as the installer, he has some of the blame here if he lied to you. Chances are he didn't have a DVR on his truck, and it was easier to lie to you to get out of your house and activate the system to get paid, than it was to modify the work order and spend a few hours driving back to his shop to get you the correct piece of equipment, or having you cancel an install that he already completed.

customer diservice

There is no 30 day grace on the contract, there is no 30 day upgrade window. The equipment the install on the initial visit is what you get... PERIOD!

I have been through this 3-4 times during the past few months with my customers, and its either the customers fault for not requesting the DVR at the time the order was built, or its the sales persons fault for not entering it correctly on the order.

Out of the 4 simmilar issues I had, 2 times the customer declined to go with the DVR when the sales rep offered to sell the customer one. Unfortunatly for those customers, there was nothing I could do. The other 2 times my agent messed up and 1 case put in a standard definition DVR by mistake when they build the order, or forgot to add the DVR. In both cases where we screwed up I ended up paying the $200 upgrade fee for the customer.

You need to find out who you signed up with and go back to them and have them starighten out this mess. Whoever wrote out the order incorrectly is the one who is paying to fix it.

As far as the installer, he has some of the blame here if he lied to you. Chances are he didn't have a DVR on his truck, and it was easier to lie to you to get out of your house and activate the system to get paid, than it was to modify the work order and spend a few hours driving back to his shop to get you the correct piece of equipment, or having you cancel an install that he already completed.

Exactly right! I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. I told the customer he was getting a non-dvr receiver for two rooms and he said okay. After I get done installing he asks me to show him how to record. I told him that it was a non-dvr and he replied that he did not even know what a dvr was, he just wants the box that records like he had ordered. Three hours later, numerous hang up from csr's and supervisors, no luck. It had been only 15 minutes since it was activated to the time we had called in to dish. Almost every response from dish was $200 upgrade fee, a $480 cancellation fee, or you are stuck with the box. One supervisor said he could do it for $100. Customer wanted to pay nothing or have me take it away with me. I told him I could not take the equipment without permission from dish. I finally left and gave the sub my phone number to call if he was going to cancel, and I would come back for the equipment. Two hours later the sub called me and told me he finally got hold of a supervisor in the retention department that apologised for the error and set up a work order for the next morning for a 722.
So it CAN be done if you are very persistant

Get on Twitter and send a message to @DISHNETWORK and tell them your a SatelliteGuys Member and need help... They WILL take care of you. :)

So it CAN be done if you are very persistant

Your 100% correct. Some customers they find every excuse in the book not to do it, while with others I don't know what makes them so different but they will not even argue with them and go ahead and take care of them.

The key is you got to say something immediatly after your installed, the longer you let things go, the less likely they will take care of it.

Its almost as bad as getting a service call setup for some customers just to get a technician out to fix something. Some customers will be on the 5th or 6th call before customer service tells them to call the sales partner who set them up. I'll end up doing a 3-way call, and get the service call scheduled in under 5 minutes with speaking to an agent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)