Being the Star Wars fan I am, Dish had better keep the Disney stations this September.

I have a very bad feeling about this.

Stretch out with your feelings.

Desire you must. Know how to serve them best, If you leave now, help them you could, but you would destroy all for what's they have fight and suffered.
Ok, must be from one of the crap 1-3 movies, right??

Wow. You guys really put a lot of thought into these Dish contract negotiations. I think you all read into these a little too much.

You honestly believe Disney/ABC/ESPN isn't going to use Star Wars as major leverage? Like AMC used The Walking Dead for leverage. Disney will milk the Star Wars brand into oblivion. My gut feeling is we will be so saturated with Star Wars, fans will begin to hate it. Just like Paramont did to Star Trek.

It was JJ Abrams (and Robert Orci & Alex Kurtzman) that killed Star Trek, not Paramount.

You honestly believe Disney/ABC/ESPN isn't going to use Star Wars as major leverage? Like AMC used The Walking Dead for leverage. Disney will milk the Star Wars brand into oblivion. My gut feeling is we will be so saturated with Star Wars, fans will begin to hate it. Just like Paramont did to Star Trek.

I'm in agreement with Scott on the subject. Both Disney and Dish need each other. It would not be in either's interest to drop any channels. ESPN is the major leverage here, not Star Wars. I know there is a huge Star Wars fan base but it's not because of the cartoon series. I love Star Wars too but I would not leave Dish because I couldn't watch the series on TV. I can find other ways to watch that show. I can not find any other way to watch football unless I go to the game though. If they lose ESPN expect a major fallout.

ESPN (which is just down the street from me...) had a huge layoff this week. I talked to one of my friends at ESPN and he told me that it was due to their costs to the customers (like DISH) was growing at too high a pace and many cable and satellite providers can no longer absorb the price increases from ESPN. So they (ESPN) needs to make changes from within to make the channel palatable to its customers (ie the cable and satellite companies)

I honestly believe DISH and ESPN are working to get a deal done, as I said earlier they NEED each other.

ESPN (which is just down the street from me...) had a huge layoff this week. I talked to one of my friends at ESPN and he told me that it was due to their costs to the customers (like DISH) was growing at too high a pace and many cable and satellite providers can no longer absorb the price increases from ESPN. So they (ESPN) needs to make changes from within to make the channel palatable to its customers (ie the cable and satellite companies)

I honestly believe DISH and ESPN are working to get a deal done, as I said earlier they NEED each other.

That brings up a thought. ESPN is one of the most expensive channels out there for program providers, satellite and cable. Many consumers are up in arms with those providers and their monthly costs for programming. We have to remember that ESPN's costs are not just what they pay out to sports teams but also include their internal overhead, read employees. So, it sounds like they are trying to lower their overhead by laying off employees. So, with that scenario, we have sports teams getting richer and more unemployment. Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a happy medium and have the sports teams lower their charges, even under present contracts, and keep some people working? ;)

You figure this had to come at some point. ESPN cannot continue buying up all the sports coverage, and expecting a pretty broke society to keep paying for it. I wonder if we dont see more sports coverage spreading back out in the future.

I can't lose college football either, it is the best sport period! Nothing else comes close. I could live without espn in the summer. Why can't these negotiations end in the summer, why does it always seem to mess up college football?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That brings up a thought. ESPN is one of the most expensive channels out there for program providers, satellite and cable. Many consumers are up in arms with those providers and their monthly costs for programming. We have to remember that ESPN's costs are not just what they pay out to sports teams but also include their internal overhead, read employees. So, it sounds like they are trying to lower their overhead by laying off employees. So, with that scenario, we have sports teams getting richer and more unemployment. Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a happy medium and have the sports teams lower their charges, even under present contracts, and keep some people working? ;)
No, it's not the American way.

I can't lose college football either, it is the best sport period! Nothing else comes close. I could live without espn in the summer. Why can't these negotiations end in the summer, why does it always seem to mess up college football?
Leverage.

No doubt this is the fault of all those pro athletes that demand those high contracts that they don't deserve. Please thank them all you can, that is why I don't watch pro sports. They say they love the fans but they don't care if their little extra that means nothing to them costs you your job. The same thing can be said about college coaches' salaries.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Timing wise I think it just happens to be the time the contracts expire (September)

No doubt this is the fault of all those pro athletes that demand those high contracts that they don't deserve. Please thank them all you can, that is why I don't watch pro sports. They say they love the fans but they don't care if their little extra that means nothing to them costs you your job. The same thing can be said about college coaches' salaries.
Equal share of the blame goes to the multi-millionaire players as it does the multi-billionaire owners.

Nah you guys are overlooking the people who really make the bills go up... The Sports Agents who get these guys $100 million dollar contracts. :)

I say the hell with Jerry McGuire! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)