Being told i have to send ALL rvcrs back to get Hopper

rswan55

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2005
i have 5 receivers. Only my 722 is hooked to 2 tvs - the rest are stand-alones. I just want to replace my 722 for a hopper/joey combo so I can get hd on both tvs. They are telling me to get the hopper, I have to return ALL of my rcvrs. This HAS to be wrong, right?

rswan55 said:
i have 5 receivers. Only my 722 is hooked to 2 tvs - the rest are stand-alones. I just want to replace my 722 for a hopper/joey combo so I can get hd on both tvs. They are telling me to get the hopper, I have to return ALL of my rcvrs. This HAS to be wrong, right?

Its right. Its either all hopper joey system, or no hopper joey system.

This really sucks for me. I have an old house where i cant connect to a central hopper or 2. I need to be able to have stand-alone rcvrs. Wow. Hopefully their systems will change in the future.

This really sucks for me. I have an old house where i cant connect to a central hopper or 2. I need to be able to have stand-alone rcvrs. Wow. Hopefully their systems will change in the future.

Why? It will use your existing wiring fine. :)

A lot of people think you need two lines to the Hopper, this is not the case just one Coax cable is needed.

Would love to. Old house, can't easily get coax from a couple of the tvs to a hopper. Current coax runs to actual dish. Rather than work hard at trying to do the wiring, I think I'll wait for them to make the change with their systems to handle VIP and h/j together.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Why? It will use your existing wiring fine. :)

A lot of people think you need two lines to the Hopper, this is not the case just one Coax cable is needed.

But u need a coax from the hopper to each joey, right?

Scott, dont u need a coax from the hopper to each joey? That's my issue...
no, they connect from a central node (switch)

And even then, it doesn't have to be a straight connection. There's a lot of flexibility.

You should really check out the wiring diagrams in the training threads.

Only 1 cable goes to the Hopper. The cables that go to the Joeys come from either a Single of Duo Node. That Node can be placed outside. You do not have to run all cables back to the Hopper.

Would love to. Old house, can't easily get coax from a couple of the tvs to a hopper. Current coax runs to actual dish. Rather than work hard at trying to do the wiring, I think I'll wait for them to make the change with their systems to handle VIP and h/j together.

Install the node at the dish. If your not currently diplexing OTA to the receivers if they are all home runs that almost makes it easier as you don't have to worry about how many splitters, etc are in the mix.

I understand the frustration about no mixed systems, but if wiring is your hold back it can probably be made to work.

sparc said:
no, they connect from a central node (switch)

And even then, it doesn't have to be a straight connection. There's a lot of flexibility.

You should really check out the wiring diagrams in the training threads.

That's helpful, thanks. I'll take a look.

JM42 said:
Install the node at the switch. If your not currently diplexing OTA to the receivers if they are all home runs that almost makes it easier as you don't have to worry about how many splitters, etc are in the mix.

I understand the frustration about no mixed systems, but if wiring is your hold back it can probably be made to work.

Thanks, guys. You've given me hope. If only the 3rd level CSR would've been as knowledgable...

But u need a coax from the hopper to each joey, right?
No.

The cable from the hopper goes to the node which can be located at the DISH, then the joeys can be hooked to the node using a cable splitter, with no new wiring needed to be run. You said you have receivers in each room, so the wiring is already there.

No.

The cable from the hopper goes to the node which can be located at the DISH, then the joeys can be hooked to the node using a cable splitter, with no new wiring needed to be run. You said you have receivers in each room, so the wiring is already there.

Scott so if the node is outside you'll need a back feed coax from the hooper to the node correct?

my set up is simple but might be complex for H/J - I have a switch outside now with direcTV and it feeds two lines to each room (2 rooms) - so I do have a backfeed line which is good I assume?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)