Bell ExpressVu installation in Los Angeles

jean1755

Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Los Angeles
I'm looking for someone who can install Bell ExpressVu in the Los Angeles area. I have all the equipment (model 3220).

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/ev/3220.php

I was using this page to help me setup the dish.

http://www.global-cm.net/point/DBS/USA-M.html

I'm trying to connect to 91.0 = Nimiq 1 & 3.

The Elevation and Azimut are the following 40.9 & 137.4

I have been trying to setup the dish for 2-3 days now and I can't find a signal.

I'm trying to setup the dish on the top of a building and I'm sure there's no object in the way of the signal.

I have call a few places but they won't install anything other than Direct TV.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

Jean

You might have trouble finding someone to install Express Vu in the states since it is a Canadian service. Trying to point at one satellite is not really that hard. Make sure when trying to aim that you have the coxial wire going from the lnb straight to the receiver, do not use a switch when aiming. If you are installing on a roof, try using a cell phone or walkie talkies why someone in the house watches the set up screen.

Once you get a hit, you should be able to tweak it from there.

I have starchoice in PalmSprings and get a great signal. Remember you are dealing with a DIGITAL signal so when you move your dish WAIT 5 seconds before moving again. TRIAL & ERROR!!!!! PATIENCE. GOOD LUCK

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.

You won't be able to get nimiq 3 in LA, so when trying to aim your dish make sure you are trying to locate an even transponder (I am not sure which ones are on nimiq 3,but they are all odd ones)

I have done everything by the book, I'm using transpoder 11 and I can't find a signal. I think the elevation and the azimut is wrong (40.9 & 137.4). Come on even If I'm off by a millimeter, could that be enough not receving a signal. I can't find anything close to a signal. I'm always at 0% on the point dish/signal screen. It's hopeless!

You can not get transponder 11 in Los Angeles. It is on nimiq 3.
Transponders 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 21, 23, 25 are all on nimiq 3. Try using 10 or 12 either should work for you.

Dont use 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 21, 23 or 25 to aim. All of these are on Nimiq 3, and those wont work in LA

Use an even or 13 or 15 for odds to aim.

Also, since its a Canadian system, most installers wont do the install :)

As others have said, those of us in Calif. are out of luck for nearly half the transponders. The even ones will still work and an 18" dish is fine for those. I am not sure it is worth installing BEV, now, unless you are going for their great HD programming which comes in fine on dishes pointed at 82.
I have kept BEV for the HD and some of the SD we can still get. You do know, I hope, NOT to connect a phone line. After install, you will need to call up to have them activate the system. You will have to call on their 416 number - can't call the 800 number from the states. You will need to act as though you are in Canada and give them a Canadian address. You can give them a U.S. credit card number for billing. If they ask for your phone number, just tell them you don't have a landline installed.

...mike

Well, with everything that was said, I still can't get any signal.

Maybe I should get Star Choice for those canadian channels. Does somebody knows if Star Choice is easier to install? And would I get all the channel?

Is it worth it?

Jean

yes you would get the channels

It is a little harder to install, but isn't that bad. I just installed min about 2 weeks ago :)

Bell aiming

Is there a web site or chart that shows the elevation and azimuth for BEV? I am in Canada in, St Catharines Ontario

If you're in Canada and subscribing to ExpressVu, just give them a call to help talk you through installation.

*67 witholds caller id (it doesnt work if you call directly to a 800 number)

Set the elevation to 40.8 and hook up a signal meter and slowly move the dish from east to west stopping at every signal to see if its nimiq 1. While Starchoice may not be as easy to install, it would get you every channel.

Uplink said:
*67 witholds caller id (it doesnt work if you call directly to a 800 number)

Set the elevation to 40.8 and hook up a signal meter and slowly move the dish from east to west stopping at every signal to see if its nimiq 1. While Starchoice may not be as easy to install, it would get you every channel.

Hmmm, I thought Schoice didn't have the same HD channels as Evu. For example, Evu will have the US networks both East and West Feeds, but SChoice have like 6 or so HD channels that keep showing the HD content from different networks/movie channels. do they now have the same channels as Evu??

Francisco

Fgsilva said:
. do they now have the same channels as Evu??

Francisco
The only HD channels that SC doesn't have are Bell Globemedia ones - CTV (the zero Canadian HD programming network), the joke Discovery Canada HD channel - which only exists to keep Discovery HD Theatre out of Canada - + the Sunday Night ESPN NFL game on TSN

Satellite Expert said:
The only HD channels that SC doesn't have are Bell Globemedia ones - CTV (the zero Canadian HD programming network), the joke Discovery Canada HD channel - which only exists to keep Discovery HD Theatre out of Canada - + the Sunday Night ESPN NFL game on TSN

Yes, but it's not the *actual*channels (ie., ABC, CBS, etc), but channels where they show only HD from several channels combined? I think the advantage with Evu is that you get both East and West feed of the US networks.

Francisco

I am trying to get this working using a dish 500 dish. Do I hook the coax to the 119 input or the 110 input on the dish. Just not sure becasue the expressvu is on 91? any help would be apprecitaed becasue we can't get a signal. Found 82 a few times but cant get 91.

we are in sanbernardino and i get come up with 133.55 azi 59.8 skew and 38.44 on the elevation? does this seem right,

San Bernadino, Norton AFB 34° 8' N 117° 16' W

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly apprecited.

Your numbers are correct.
Using the Dish 119/110 Y adapter:
119=91
110=82
91 has most of the programming, but alot of the Odd transponders will NOT work in California. Try sighting onto an Even transponder.
82 has additional Expressvu programming.