Bell proposes new "freesat" service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not quite "FTA", but close enough that I'm posting this in the Free-To-Air section.

Bell proposes new "freesat" service as part of innovative public policy solutions to benefit Canadian consumers and broadcasting industry

Quoting the press release ->

OTTAWA, April 29 2009 -- Bell today proposed a series of
innovative public policy and regulatory recommendations designed to address
financial challenges facing the broadcasting industry, including a proposal to
provide Canadians who currently rely on analog over-the-air television with a
package of local and regionally relevant over-the-air television channels free
of charge as part of the transition to digital broadcasting.

Technically speaking - It appears to me that Bell would simply activate a very tiny package for the viewers.. I don't think that they would leave any channels unencrypted so that regular FTA sets could pick them up - but it would really be nice if they did!

It will be neat to see how this whole 'freesat' deal plays out. I could imagine that there would be a fair number of grey-market 'freesat' customers in the USA who would be getting freesat systems to watch the hockey on CBC :)

Interesting if it does go that route. Wonder if it would be Conus or not.

Very cool!! Let's hope they will broadcasts, in the clear and the footprint's signal goes far south as here in New Mexico.....

Haven't seen CBC in a long time since the late 80's, with a good old 10 foot C-band dish!!:hungry:

I am sure it will be on KU band bird, which one it will be on?:D:hungry:

I guess we will have to keep eye for any new updates news......

I am sure it will be on KU band bird, which one it will be on?:D:hungry:

Most likely from their 91w/82w orbital locations and having a dedicated transponder unencrypted.

Nice catch. Reading between the lines 5 channels sounds like a channel for Pacific, Mountain, Central, East etc. Then you don't have the expense of registering users and dedicating programming on a user basis. Local programming indicates no hockey which would be the kind of broadcasting they would expect to generate revenue, and is probably (in my view) not the kind of programming a generic CBC channel should be carrying anyway. Sounds more like news and current affairs, with room for stuff about Canada which I have thought for years was missing.

It looks like a very good move.

Technically speaking - It appears to me that Bell would simply activate a very tiny package for the viewers.. I don't think that they would leave any channels unencrypted so that regular FTA sets could pick them up - but it would really be nice if they did!

That would be great if they run ZK. It has been years since I saw Canadian tv. I do miss the days of Anik C band ITC.

Always wondered why Americans want to watch Canadian tv and Canadians want to watch U.S. tv?

Wonder if possibly Direct or Dish here in the states would follow this lead if it catches on?

Always wondered why Americans want to watch Canadian tv and Canadians want to watch U.S. tv?

Wonder if possibly Direct or Dish here in the states would follow this lead if it catches on?

LOL, I am an American who subscribes to a Canadian TV service and absolutely love it. My main reasons: Sports (MLB, NHL, and NFL), News (BBC and CBC), French shows. Indeed, many Canadians subscribe to US TV. I guess it's one of those "the grass is greener" kind of things.

Mods: can this thread be simultaneously posted in the Canadian forum?

There was once a discussion about Directv doing this a while back if am not mistaking.

Many here in Banana Republic North think...

that this is just a ploy by the broadcasters to not have to upgrade to digital transmitters. They are dragging their heals over the costs associated with it. It stems from their current request for fee-for-carriage; which most people who know anything about are vehemently against. :p

Have a great day,
Satboyz

Really good news. I am in a fringe area for CBC and am considering the purchase of a new great big antenna. This would be much easier, although if the channels are as compressed as Bell's other channels, it might not be that much of an upgrade to the fuzzy picture I have now...

That would be great if they run ZK. It has been years since I saw Canadian tv. I do miss the days of Anik C band ITC.

Well many of us on the border grew up watching hockey night in canada, cfl football and the bluejays. Also, back in the day before 1000 channel cable tv and satellite; the canadian networks always used to get the new weekly tv shows of a series a couple days earlier. So you could watch Gunsmoke on Saturday rather than wait until Monday night. I still keep just basic broadcast cable inorder to get CBC and CTV channels from Toronto, plus the fact my wife is Canadian and Leafs Fan.:eek:

I doubt that D* or E* will ever offer Canadian Programing, because there would be a run on American Satellites in Canada, which would most likely restimulate the "bootleg" satellite business at the border cities.

I can see a lot of Americans getting the equipment to pickup those channels if that were to happen. I don't know if it will catch on with U.S. broadbasters though because they are too greedy.

if they deliver just the National Locals in the timezones then it probably will be FTA.

if they deliver the regional networks for most of the cities then it will be encrypted so that the right channels are delivered to the right cities. This also allows for blackouts to happen in some areas and not others. Bell doesn't have spotbeams, Dish does and they could sort of do an unecrypted local package via FTA and control what regions watch what.

It would also be great if this service is the HD network feed!

If something can be picked up by my Pansat without the red tape involved in getting a bell receiver and having it authorized in the US I would probably do it. I have a 18" dss dish that should be okay for Nimiq. Another dish pointed at the sky :eek: :D

I would welcome this as like Islandguy, I too grew up and have lived close enough to get Canadian TV (although a lot of it is fuzzy). I have picked up some HD OTA from Ottawa just once. I should look at upgrading cables or adding a pre-amp as finances come available. Already have a decent antenna with a rotor.

I'd like that, but it depends on the channels. Right now I can get CBC, CTV, TVO, and a french CBC over the air. I can't see them putting TVO (TV Ontario) on a nation wide free to view system. Most likely are CBC Toronto, CTV Toronto, Global Toronto, CBC French Montreal, and APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Tv Network). It would still be nice to get them if they are FTA in DVB format, since my rabbit ears are in the basement and are fuzzy on all but CBC English even when adjusting the length for each channel. Even if I need a new reciever for $40-50 I'd bite for it since I hate watching fuzzy channels.

Just read the whole press release and it makes perfect sense so much so that it doesn't have much chance of succeeding once the bureaucrats and special interest groups get hold of it.

You never know though in these tough economic times they might see reason, it would drastically reduce the number of new transmitters the industry would have to pay for and at the same time increase the number of channels available in fringe areas.
They will have to explain why the consumer should pay for a receiver and dish (should be under $150 if they use the same satellites), it shouldn't be too hard a sell especially if they throw in a few radio channels. Wouldn't be surprised if it would be cheaper for the industry to subsidies the consumer equipment than put up new transmitters and the consumer would no longer need to replace his existing analogue TV or buy a converter box.

As long as this is true FTA unencrypted DVB its the best news I've heard in FTA in years and could be the start of something similar to what they have in Europe.

I wonder who we should contact to throw our support behind Bell IF this is the case?

Interesting.....

As noted above it probably would be the 5 major stations
CBC
CTV
Global
SRC
APTN
but if they add more it could be TVO also (at least in Ontario)

But which 5 (as an example)...in some areas there are locally owned stations (LLoydminster & Thunder Bay are two examples of CBC & CTV owned by local folks) and they would probably want to get on there. I couldnt see Dougal Media sating "sure we wont upgrade our facilities and if they want this, yeah give them CBC Toronto" ;)

The easiest thing Bell could do is sell a basic system. 3100 receiver or get some refurbed units. Sell that and a 18" dish to folks. If they want to upgrade to Bell then they can. Put the channels in a zero key type setup (like Dish does with some channels) so you have to have a Bell previously subbed box. A FTA receiver wouldnt work.

But how would they control it just to Canada? Thats the big question. If its a "free for all" the networks here in the US would go after them because CTV & Global show alot of programs from the us nets.

I can see lots of opposition.

Im pretty sure they are going to encrypt the channels and require you to open up an account with a $0 monthly bill and purchase the equipment to view the free channels.

The point of free service is to get the equipment in the homes so the customer can later subscribe since the equipment is already in place!

Interesting.....

As noted above it probably would be the 5 major stations
CBC
CTV
Global
SRC
APTN
but if they add more it could be TVO also (at least in Ontario)

=snip=

But how would they control it just to Canada? Thats the big question. If its a "free for all" the networks here in the US would go after them because CTV & Global show alot of programs from the us nets.

I can see lots of opposition.
I tried posting before but my post somehow didn't make it.

I think they'll put it up on the Canada beam on Ciel-2.

I'll have to put up a 75e to pick it up but those states from Wisconsin to Maine should be able to pick it up with a Dish 500 or 18" DirecTV dish, if Satbeams is to be believed...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)