Bell proposes new "freesat" service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From what I heard the free service will cost about $300 for the equipment. They will authorize channels depending on you area in Canada. There will be some spillover into the U.S. Im sure but will need to know someone in Canada to set it up and maintain it in case it needs a hit etc.

The spot beams will spill over a little bit but I imagine not alot (just look at how the dishnet spot beams spill over into Canada)
I'm sure some of the full HD package will spill over into the US, but if you live in the southern states, there is no way you will get the free locals, regardless of if they encrypt.
And my guess is they will encrypt as they will have to fit multiple sets of local channels on some of the spotbeams. (they mention 40 spot beams at around 2:30 - I'm sure there are more than 40 TV local areas, although I could be wrong)

a couple of key points that people seem to have missed:

Less compressed HD than other companies!(13:50)
Cost: Dish+STB=$300. Additional STB $100-$150 (18:00) (hard drive extra)

the whole video is about 20 minutes long and a nice listen.

What really intrigues me is the passing mention of using a new band at higher power (13:30) Maybe Ku 11.45-11.7? Just a guess - I really have know idea. Anyone have inside information of spectrum that may be available for satellite?

Why don't the networks launch something like this in the US? With the problems associated with the digital transition with people not being able to get channels they got before in analog this could be a good thing for those. It could be supported by CBS - NBC - ABC and anyone else that wanted there channels on there. All you would need would be a STB a small dish and you would be good to go.

Two reasons.

1. The structure of "the business" is that the networks are only programming providers. They contractually have no business providing the "network" directly to viewers. That business is the milieu of the network affiliate stations, and each has an exclusive right to that, in each market. Most of the affiliates are not network owned. A lot of the affiliates are on DBS anyway, where they get paid for carriage.

2. They made a hefty investment in digital broadcasting, and it is not paid off yet.

...and 3: That nasty little thing called "Retransmission Consent," and now that the "Big Four" themselves want a piece of whatever pie there is, I don't see any practical way a "FreeHD USA" could even remotely happen.

Your only hope for "Free" Local TV: Put up an antenna - provided you can.

Most obvious channels to expect in my oppinion. These channels still operate fta. These stations including Meteo Media are also listed on LyngSat

Knowledge
Access
A-Atlantic
Tele-Quebec
The Shopping Channel

Even though Meteo Media operates free to air, they were for a while encrypted and they seem like someone who might not be free on the service.

Global and CTV might not end up being on the service because they are already complaining about not getting their fee for carriage they want. The big possible problem I see is back lash from the Network's causing the service to be discontinued.

There was a thread about it here somewhere. I think the consensus opinion was that it would probably be fixed-key rather than FTA, in order to limit access to Canadians.

This FreeHD Canada will fta receivers be able to pick it up and do you think there will be spot beams

From what I have read the intent is to use spot beams and a DVB-S2 receiver. It remains to be seen if DVB-S2 capable FTA receivers could receive the service. I wouldn't count on it.

Why would they use spotbeams? They usually only use those for local channels to reuse the signal in multiple areas. The signal would only be able to be picked up in a very small area if they done that unless there is something I am unaware of. I would have thought that this service would have been conus.

I had a feeling that Glorystar would want to get involved with this as they offer free service as well. Maybe they could get together on this. It would be in their best interest to make this receivable on the same satellite dish used to pickup Glorystar. They already have two lnb's on their satellite dish.

I think the best estimate that addresses your question can be found in today's update.

Our channels are not up yet, though we will be streaming in the coming months. From: Mark Mauk : Assistant Program manger, Mike Spencer :Assistant Director.

How long does it take for you to put your channels up ? For us to lease a transponder on a current satellite and not counting other Logistics - 3 hours quoted.

I saw that.... That is not an answer. I realize that deadlines don't always go as planned. Telling us that streaming will start in the coming months, well there is plenty of streaming now all over the net. I'm wanting to know when the signal will be broadcast. I would think that channel ops that are under contract all ready will want their signal up as soon as possible. Even the new FreeHD service that is starting up in Canada has mentioned That they should be up early next year. And they are a lot farther off in the future but they have an estimate. Article here....

Code:
http://freehdcanada.ca/Globe%20and%20Mail%20ROB%20Aug%2019-09.pdf

The way they talk, their only concern with getting going is getting a license. It would be nice to have a rough idea like that to go on. People are very frustrated. It would be nice to have some sort of light at the end of the tunnel for peeps to at least point to. As for me, I'm perfectly happy with my 10 footer and digicipher subscription. But people like my mom that can barely afford the basic of basic of cable has expressed interest. people need something to stay interested. Have a great day!

Was it ever stated the type of receivers FreeHD service from Canada would use? I imagine it wouldn't be FTA receivers. Would be cool if that service, Glorystar and FreeDBS would all be on the same satellite or some that were closeby so that all services could be received from one dish. Hopefully it will be possible to receive FreeHD service from the U.S.

Was it ever stated the type of receivers FreeHD service from Canada would use? I imagine it wouldn't be FTA receivers. Would be cool if that service, Glorystar and FreeDBS would all be on the same satellite or some that were closeby so that all services could be received from one dish. Hopefully it will be possible to receive FreeHD service from the U.S.

All I saw was the following.....
How It Works

By utilizing the latest new technologies, FreeHD Canada is able to
provide more than 200 channels of superior picture quality HD into consumer homes via a small inexpensive satellite dish.

FreeHD Canada will provide a better picture from less video
compression – better than your current cable or satellite provider –
with sports and movies in 1080p quality (channels in 1080p will provide ‘BluRay Disc®’ or theatre quality video) .

To get the FreeHD Canada service, consumers will need to buy a
FreeHD Canada receive system (small dish and set-top box), expected to be available from retailers throughout Canada in early 2011 or available online.

Check back here for more details in the upcoming months on launch dates, system pricing, and retailers!!

I can't find any specs yet on the proposed set top boxes. I would think that if the service was to take off, they would stick to existing technology and use FTA receivers of some sort. That would be to me anyways a solid business plan as the receivers out there are very versatile. People will need an HD receiver anyways so sales will still be there as quite a few do not have an HD sat receiver yet. Besides, if they want to be competitive they need to keep the end cost down or people won't jump on the train. That's the way I see it anyways. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong! LOL! ;) Have a great day!

Moderators, please move Freesat Canada posts to that thread, including this one. Freesat Canada is different than freedbs

It appears to me, Freesat Canada will

• Use to date unspecified receiver technology, but will launch with what will be state of the art at the time.
  • They will likely use encryption , even for local channels, to protect the exclusive market rights of US stations.
  • They will have pay specialty channels.
  • They will have spot beams, or at least regional beams.
  • They might use BSS (17Ghz).
  • I heard that receiver price might be $299 CDN. Keep on mind, Shaw Direct (and I think Bell) sells their current HD receiver for $199, which is subsidised.

...to protect the exclusive market rights of US stations.

a.k.a. "Greedy

a.k.a. Charlie

a.k.a. putting the screws to us!"

It is great to see the Canadian OTA channels that come in now! Why would they have to spend money on encription to protect the greedy US stations??? :devil:

Are they going to stop OTA station from reaching us too??? :rolleyes:

You would think that FTA would be part of the FTA (Free Trade Agreement) !!!... :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts