Belo agrement expires NOV 1st at midnight

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Last edited:
Meh, who cares,
you obviously do as you posted

I watch my locals via OTA, why would I want to watch them re-compressed to HD lite when I can watch them OTA?
well not everybody can view them OTA. So that is why. One of my loclas I can try and view OTA but it breaks up constantly. With it on D* its nice and clear.

And its funny how you say "re-compressed to HD lite" when my OTA locals and the HD ones from Directv look almost the same picture wise.

If we keep losing our local channels, we might as well go back to cable...at least they don't glitch out in a thunderstorm.

Cable co's have to make deals with station owners for local channels too and also have been known to loose local channels when they can't come to an agreement.

The only 100% source of local channels is your own reliable OTA antenna system.

If we keep losing our local channels, we might as well go back to cable...at least they don't glitch out in a thunderstorm.
I see you're new here...welcome!

These public displays of negotiations are not new. Typically, both sides shout about the potential loss and that one side or the other is acting unfairly. In most cases, the situation is resolved without losing any channels. Rare occasions will see a few days of the channel going down and extremely rare situations would see the station going down for a longer period. The last one I went through was a few months back when I lived in Tucson. The Raycom stations were affected which could have taken CBS down in Tucson. The deadline was extended. One magical day, all of the shouting disappeared and the conflict was over. We never find out who wins and loses in these cases, the problem is just resolved.

So don't worry too much. Chances are, you won't see anything happen to channels 3 and 61.

How worried should I be about this Belo (KMOV CBS local) "war" DitecTv is having?

DirecTv tells me they will provide me with "comparable" programming if a deal is not reached, but, my wife is a diehard Survivor fan, and never watches it live, so, how could they provide "comparable" programming without my local? I hear these things happen all the time, but, this is the first time we have been aware of it.

I'm also worried about losing NatGeo. The worst part about that is News Corp's willingness to allow DirecTv to leave the signal ON, but, D* wants to be hard-nosed about it and pull the plug anyway, seems like they do not have the interest of any of us subscribers in mind at all. I'm sure, given the chance to vote, we would leave the signal on as long as possible.

GLEN4CINDY NEWSCORP DOESNT OWN DIRECT ANYMORE AND HASNT OWNED THEM FOR A FEW YEARS :)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone in this thread said Bewscorp did own it. I think the OP was comparing the belo situation to the one with Newscorp owned stations.

whitewolf8214 said:
GLEN4CINDY NEWSCORP DOESNT OWN DIRECT ANYMORE AND HASNT OWNED THEM FOR A FEW YEARS :)

I'm well aware of this. That does not change the fact that many Fox channels including our favorite, NatGeo are in serious jeopardy of being dropped by DirecTv unless a deal is reached.

Newscorp has stated that they are willing to allow DirecTv to continue under current terms while talks are going on, but, DirecTv is taking a hardline approach and plans to yank all of those Fox stations, including NatGeo which my family watches MANY shows on.

We are in the same boat with our local CBS station, owned by Belo.

My question was, how likely are we to lose the Fox channels? Haven't other providers been in similar situations before? How were those resolved?

Thanks

I'm well aware of this. That does not change the fact that many Fox channels including our favorite, NatGeo are in serious jeopardy of being dropped by DirecTv unless a deal is reached.

Newscorp has stated that they are willing to allow DirecTv to continue under current terms while talks are going on, but, DirecTv is taking a hardline approach and plans to yank all of those Fox stations, including NatGeo which my family watches MANY shows on.

We are in the same boat with our local CBS station, owned by Belo.

My question was, how likely are we to lose the Fox channels? Haven't other providers been in similar situations before? How were those resolved?

Thanks

A whole lot more in the other thread about this same topic.
See post # 2

There is less that a 1% chance that any channels will be pulled, you'll hear a lot of bickering back and forth, but when it come right down to it, D* has a VERY good record when it comes to negotiating and NOT losing signal.

My local CBS was in the same boat last year and they kept the signal on long after the contract had expired and they worked out an agreement a month or so later.

Heres what KMOV has to say.
http://www.kmov.com/directv

Pretty much the same as all other networks that have to say when agreements are coming to a close.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)