Bending Pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
While I started putting in conduit for my 10' fiberglass dish I noticed the pole is leaning to the south. Still seems sturdy. If there is a way to fix and correct this without taking down the dish that would be great. I was thinking maybe guy wires?

Attachments

• photo 1 (4).JPG
    photo 1 (4).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 187
  • photo 2 (4).JPG
    photo 2 (4).JPG
    949.1 KB · Views: 180
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    photo 3 (3).JPG
    859.3 KB · Views: 176
The pole looks long enough that you might be able to bend it. Problem will likely be finding something strong enough to attach the other end of any cables/wire to. It will always be under tension too, so make sure to use a turn-buckle so you can re-tighten it every so often.

If it has been there a long time and is tracking the arc well I would either leave it alone or at most use a couple of guy wires to insure it doesn’t move anymore. Who knows, if it is traveling the arc well that may be the perfect declination angle for the dish.

If you think it could improve reception across the arc I’d put 2 or 3 guy wires behind it and try to straighten it up some.

It has been out of service for a few months. I tried turning it to 72W with battery charger and was unable to find it. That explains why. It's parked on 61W for now.

You could heat that post then cool it rapidly and try to shrink the long/high side? Heat a 2" spot cherry red with an acetylene torch on the high side then use cold water to quench it and draw it straight on the end. If needed you could do that in several places along that same line noting how it moves each time then adjust your hot spot accordingly. The only part of that post that needs to be plumb is the end where the dish is mounted.

Also, I wouldn't dig out anything around that concrete base!!!! If you do you're probably in for even more problems trying to keep it from moving.

BTW, how much is it off top to bottom?

Reactions: polgyver
Yeah, nothing on 72W C band.
If the pole is tipping directly south, should only have to adjust the elevation slightly. If it tips off to the side it's a cluster. And if it's tipping south and off to the side, it's a double cluster.
I wouldn't dig either. But a couple of cables with turnbuckles to anchors behind the dish. If you want it to move, saturate the ground in the direction the pole 'has to move' to be plumb. Tighten cables (measuring) let it dry. (It' the weight of the dish 'pulling' it south)

Last time I used it there were some ION feeds. That explains why no 72. I have great signal on 99W (70s) and okay on 55.5 & 55 (60s). Possibly the polar mount is off a bit. I'll go with FaT Airs idea first then I'll get someone with a torch if needed. I'll report back with results. Thanks!!

100_0453.JPG That "temporary"20 years ago,post is just stuck in the ground.Only went in about 3' when it met the granite,that's why the mound got put around it.Straightened it up,mostly,about 3 years ago before I put the Pinnacle on it.:biggrin2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts