Benefits of DP LNBs over legacy?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
I have a 508, 301, and 811 all connected to a Dish500 and Dish300 with legacy LNBs and a SW64. Since I no longer use any legacy STBs I could take out the SW64 and use the spare DP twin I have in the garage, plus buy a few extra bits and pieces, and upgrade to DP.

If I go to all the trouble of changing out my LNBs would there be a noticeable difference? Is it faster to change between channels or anything? If not I am just going to leave it alone. I still have one unused port on my SW64 if I want to upgrade to a two-tuner receiver like the 622.

only benefit for DP
-you can run a longer cable
-only one cable from each LNB port to switches (so in your case it would be 3 instead of 6 lines)
-Can have one line to a dual tuner

With what you have right now, you'd be fine.
Only benefit for DP if you got a 622 would be to get a DPP44 so you can run just one line to receiver (and use separator)

I planned ahead and ran two lines to the main TV. Right now one goes to the OTA antenna and the other goes to port 1 on the SW64 (the power inserter is behind the living room TV). The line going to the SW64 also has a diplexor on it which I use to feed the RF from my 508 located in another room.

Is the DPP equipment different from regular DP? That is, would a DPP switch work with my DP twin or would I have to get DPP LNBs?

I may end up just selling that DP twin on Ebay - its just gathering dust in the garage.

you can use a DP Twin with a DPP44 switch

DPP allows you to run the one line to a dual tuner receiver and will work with Legacy equipment with no adapter

A DP twin will work fine with DP plus switches like th DPP44. You cannot use a DPP twin with a DP34 switch.

I still have a DP ouad on my system, since I test receivers for systems that I install. The cheap single lnb is on the 129 slot of my Dish1000 cascaded with an SW21. That goes to my 211.

The old legacy stuff is ultra reliable. The only possible weak links were the SWAJ, the SW42 and the sw64.

So far I haven't had any trouble with the SW64 (knock knock). It has been in continuous service for just over two years now. How long do those things usually last? Maybe I'd better start looking around for a DPP44 and a DP single dual LNB for the side dish (and a DP21 to cascade it to the DPP44).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)