Bent / Warped BUD - worth messing with?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I've been working on restoring my Winegard 8' dish.

I got this dish off of Freecycle. The pipe it was mounted on rusted through and whole dish / mount / pole etc just collapsed.

Right where it hit, a section of mesh had popped out. The rim of the dish was flattened slightly. I popped the section of mesh the rest of the way out, straightened the edges and put it back on. I quickly noticed that something was not right. The mesh was aligned fine at the center and outer edge of the dish, but it wouldn't stay in about half way out from the center. After looking it over, I figured it out. When the dish fell, that 'rib' of the dish took the brunt of the hit and had collapsed some!

I layed the dish face down in the driveway and when I'd apply pressure from behind, the mesh would pop right in the slot where it was supposed to. After a couple cycled of standing / leaning on the rib, I got it back into shape.

I stood the dish back up, and looking along the edge, you can see a noticable warp in the outer rim of the dish.

Obviously some of this is due to the dish landing on one edge, but my queston is should I go ahead and continue trying to get this dish up and running or scrap it?

I guess I could always try it out and see what comes of it. My guess is that it'll be fine for c-band. Ku may be another story.

i'll try and get some pics...

Well lay the pole pop it up and see, if its not great replace it with a 10' or whatever other size you can find free, I would think if you work at it you can fix it up a bit, though it may not work on Ku-band and if it does it will not work to good, just do overkill on the pipe install incase the dish in replaced with a larger one.
Good luck!

That's pretty much the plan. I got some pics but I need to get 'em off the camera still. After looking at it again it doesn't seem to be as bad as I initally thought.

I'm getting excited playng with this dish. It absolutely dwarfs it's 5' little brother.

Shawn

Last edited:
Pics - after I bent it back

pics attached. It looks much better looking at it this time around.

Shawn

Last edited:
That doenst look to bad shawn, i would give it a shot and see how it works. As tdti says you can always find a free 10 footer to replace it if need be.

Not bad!

Shawn95GT said:

Shawn

Doesn't look too bad from the Pics!! Still does not look like my Winegard 8 ft dish though. I had no idea they made so many models back then!
jeff

Shawn95GT said:

Shawn

Shawn, that doesn't look bad at all. I think my dish is bent more than that and I haven't found a bird yet that I couldn't get a good quality signal from. I have no problems with the X4 KU channels.

Mike

Shawn95GT said:
I've been working on restoring my Winegard 8' dish.

I got this dish off of Freecycle. The pipe it was mounted on rusted through and whole dish / mount / pole etc just collapsed.

Right where it hit, a section of mesh had popped out. The rim of the dish was flattened slightly. I popped the section of mesh the rest of the way out, straightened the edges and put it back on. I quickly noticed that something was not right. The mesh was aligned fine at the center and outer edge of the dish, but it wouldn't stay in about half way out from the center. After looking it over, I figured it out. When the dish fell, that 'rib' of the dish took the brunt of the hit and had collapsed some!

I layed the dish face down in the driveway and when I'd apply pressure from behind, the mesh would pop right in the slot where it was supposed to. After a couple cycled of standing / leaning on the rib, I got it back into shape.

I stood the dish back up, and looking along the edge, you can see a noticable warp in the outer rim of the dish.

Obviously some of this is due to the dish landing on one edge, but my queston is should I go ahead and continue trying to get this dish up and running or scrap it?

I guess I could always try it out and see what comes of it. My guess is that it'll be fine for c-band. Ku may be another story.

i'll try and get some pics...

I have no problem receiving analog C band with this damaged dish .

I have no doubr you will have no problem .

Wyr

Attachments

• C_Band 010.jpg
    C_Band 010.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 259
  • C_Band 003.jpg
    C_Band 003.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 240
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts