Best anteanna splitter

snaggerbob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 16, 2004
Taylorville,Illinois
I recently bought my 2nd hdtv and want to split my antenna signal. I have a channelmaster 4228 with a channelmaster 7777 amp on the roof. My question is: where do I place the splitter? What is a good splitter to use? Should the splitter be centrally located? Finally, will I have signal loss after I split the signal? I am 25 miles from the towers and can't afford to lose too much signal strength.

assuming you are using coax. i would run the coax from the antenna to an amp that has 2 or 4 outputs. i would have the amp inside the house, not outside in the elements. any yes , try to have the amp mid point

Any passive splitter will produce at least a 3dB signal loss, which the amplifier should be able to compensate for.

Amplify inside, then split.

Better, a small distribution amplifier is a good idea, with 2-4 amplified outlets, it restores signal strength lost by splitting the line (50% loss).

A centrally located distribution amplifier will minimize line loss to both TV's.

The fewer connections the better, each causes signal loss.

Please do not spend more than $5 on a 2 way splitter...eg. 14.95 for those "fancy" gold colored ones). The splitter should be rated to 1GHZ or 2 GHZ at the most.

most likely you will not need a distribution amp...there should be plenty of output from the preamp to supply 2 tv's. 4 or more splits then a distribution amp may be necessary. Use rg6 dual shield to cut down on losses. It is best not to overamplify the signal.

Split the signal where convenientand smart...keep in mind length of cable to other room...future consideration of extra tv's...power outlet.

Rick

If you're only 25 miles from the towers and you have a CM7777 on the already powerful CM4228 don't worry about losing 3dB on a passive splitter. Don't waste your money on a distribution signal. If you're having problems with reception now then you'd only be amplifying those problems with a distributor. Garbage in, garbage out.

The better place to install the UHF splitter is after the power supply, not between the power supply and the preamp. This negates the need to splice the line that carries the aproximately 20 volts that powers the preamp.

With your situation you should have plenty of signal to power the 2nd tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts