Best antenna for 30+ miles?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sequentialcoma

Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hello. I'm in need of an antenna for picking up signals that are about 30 miles away. I'd perfer something indoor, but I'm sure that's not an option given the distance away from the signal plus the fact that my tv is in the basement. I also wouldn't mind an attic antenna, but the thought of climbing up into the roof everytime the signal fades isn't exciting either. My zip code is 81007 if that helps anyone who may have the time/knowledge to offer a recommendation.

Thanks!

Hello. I'm in need of an antenna for picking up signals that are about 30 miles away. I'd perfer something indoor, but I'm sure that's not an option given the distance away from the signal plus the fact that my tv is in the basement. I also wouldn't mind an attic antenna, but the thought of climbing up into the roof everytime the signal fades isn't exciting either. My zip code is 81007 if that helps anyone who may have the time/knowledge to offer a recommendation.

Thanks!

Get a CM4228... put it up and forget about it.

I would agree. I just got a 4228. I'm about 20 miles from one station and about 30 from two more and I'm getting signal in the 90's on all 3. It's a great antenna.

Here are the results I got from antennaweb when I entered your zip code (digital stations only):

yellow - uhf KOAA-DT 5.1 NBC PUEBLO CO 337° 28.9 42
yellow - uhf KTSC-DT 8.1 PBS PUEBLO CO 337° 28.9 26
yellow - vhf KKTV-DT 11.1 CBS COLORADO SPRINGS CO 337° 28.9 10
yellow - uhf KXRM-DT 21.1 FOX COLORADO SPRINGS CO 337° 28.9 22
yellow - uhf KRDO-DT 13.1 ABC COLORADO SPRINGS CO 337° 28.9 24

All stations in the same direction BUT one is on VHF, you probably will not get it with the Silver Sensor (it's a UHF-only antenna). There is a Terk look-alike, the HDTVi, which is a Silver Sensor with added "rabbit ears" which might be worth a try if you can get it locally from somewhere you can return it.

The CM4228 is also a UHF antenna but has pretty decent performance on VHF-hi so would be OK for CBS which is on actual channel 10. Some stations are moving back to their VHF frequencies for their digital stations when analog goes away in 2009 but as long as NBC isn't moving back to 5 then the CM4228 should be a very good fit. It should work OK in your attic - mine is in the attic and works well with DFW stations at 40+ miles, including stations rated by antennaweb as "red" or "blue" (more difficult to receive than "yellow") and one VHF-hi station on channel 9.
The CM4221 is smaller than the CM4228 but does not work at VHF frequencies.

Get a CM4228... put it up and forget about it.

Cool. I like the price. Very nice.

If I was to install it in the attic (since it doesn't seem to have the need to be moved) stationary, how would you guys recommend I do so? Attach it to the rafters using a home made mast?

So long as you can make sure it's vertical. I bought a tripod and a short antenna mast and mounted it to a piece of wood across the joists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)