Best Antenna???

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Can't decide between the 91XG & CM4228. I'm shooting for stations 73.8 miles away (I know it's a stretch), but I won't know till I try. Broadcast frequency channels are 32, 43, & 53.

Obviously, I'll be using a pre-amp, but I still can't decide between the two antennas. It seems the CM4228 has a little more gain at the first two channels, then only drops little for the last.

Your thoughts... TIA.

I recommend the 91XG. Because of its narrow beamwidth, it will reject multipath much better than the CM4228. I started with the Winegard 9095, had multipath problems, then tried the CM4228 which was a little better with multipath (but didn't eliminate it), then I installed the 91XG, which was a huge improvement.

I recommend the 91XG. Because of its narrow beamwidth, it will reject multipath much better than the CM4228. I started with the Winegard 9095, had multipath problems, then tried the CM4228 which was a little better with multipath (but didn't eliminate it), then I installed the 91XG, which was a huge improvement.

How far away are you from the towers your shooting at? What pre-amp are you using? How high do you have the 91XG?

The only problem I'm gonna have is getting the antenna as high as possible, well that and the distance.

Thanks.

Last edited:

agree. I could not use the cm4228 for the same reason. The 91xg tamed the issues much better.

74 miles will be a challenge.

cm7777 for the amp.

Where do you guys purchase these antenna's from? IE reputable dealer. I clicked the sponsers up top but none of them sell the antenna's (either that or I was really tired and missed which one sells them)

I bought my 91 xg from solid signal.Also I havn't had any luck with locking on to anything over about sixty miles and I have mine mounted on a 50ft tower.
I was going to post a link to the 91xg on their site but for some reason I couldn't
access the site.

75 miles is going to be a challenge for digital reception for you and most other folks. The local geography is going to be an issue at your home and will worsen your chances of success.

It is going to be one of those things where you try and if it does not work you are SOL. It will cost a few hundred bucks in the process.

Thought you were getting approval for the hd channels from directv.

what happened?

Last edited:
75 miles is going to be a challenge for digital reception for you and most other folks. The local geography is going to be an issue at your home and will worsen your chances of success.

It is going to be one of those things where you try and if it does not work you are SOL. It will cost a few hundred bucks in the process.

Thought you were getting approval for the hd channels from directv.

what happened?

It fell through. Installer came out and determined that I wasn't going to be able to all the necessary birds. So, I had to cancel my order & install.

A second opinion sometimes gets the job done.

When I subcontract work, I sometimes need to come out and advise the inexperienced where to install the damn thing if they feel there are issues.

Did you try the supervisor route or do you definately have a problem with foliage. sometimes they do not want to install because it may take more time to accomodate. plus it winter!

A second opinion sometimes gets the job done.

When I subcontract work, I sometimes need to come out and advise the inexperienced where to install the damn thing if they feel there are issues.

Did you try the supervisor route or do you definately have a problem with foliage. sometimes they do not want to install because it may take more time to accomodate. plus it winter!

Haven't gone the super route yet. Apparently due to a tree or two, I wasn't going to be able to get one of the low lying birds. I'm sure we could have found a location where it would have worked, but at the time, he was 4 hours late, I was upset, we already had a few inches of snow on the ground and roof, and to top it off it had just started snowing heavily once again. I pretty much was like just screw it!!!

I have to get stations at 63 miles. I tried both the 4228 and the 91xg on a 30' mast with a 7777 pre amp. THe 91XG performed better... and is still above my roof. Some family about a mile from me also uses a DB8 with outstanding performance.. actually gets a station at 103 miles when conditions are just right. They do have a little higher elevation though. And the terrain around here is not the greatest for OTA (note the avatar)..unless of course you are on top of one of the mountains.

I have to get stations at 63 miles. I tried both the 4228 and the 91xg on a 30' mast with a 7777 pre amp. THe 91XG performed better... and is still above my roof. Some family about a mile from me also uses a DB8 with outstanding performance.. actually gets a station at 103 miles when conditions are just right. They do have a little higher elevation though. And the terrain around here is not the greatest for OTA (note the avatar)..unless of course you are on top of one of the mountains.

Sounds like my situation. I'm in a valley, but about half way up a western facing slope. The towers I'll be shooting for are roughly at 20 degrees compass orientation. I'm at 700 ft above sea level and the towers I'll be shooting at are a little over 4000ft which is the only plus in my situation. Looking at the Longley Rice coverage model I'm just outside of the coverage area...a little south of Rutland VT (next little yellow area south of Rutland). The last station is ABC but it's on the VHF freq.

WCAX-CBS Burlington.gifWFFF-FOX Burlington.gifWPTZ-NBC Platsburg-Burlington.gifWVNY-ABC Burlington.gif

Last edited:
Haven't gone the super route yet. Apparently due to a tree or two, I wasn't going to be able to get one of the low lying birds. I'm sure we could have found a location where it would have worked, but at the time, he was 4 hours late, I was upset, we already had a few inches of snow on the ground and roof, and to top it off it had just started snowing heavily once again. I pretty much was like just screw it!!!

try again when the weather improves and snow melted off the roof.

The installer did not want to deal with conditions then, it was probably dangerous/slippery, cold, and he was running late. he would have rushed and done a halfass job then anyway.

in the meantime call the csr you spoke with at directv to follow up with what happened and that you want to try again in the spring and make sure they live to their promises.

the 4000 elevation does make the situation better. you are in a valley . if there is a ridge blocking line of site to 4000 ft. in between you are screwed.

I bought my 91 xg from solid signal.Also I havn't had any luck with locking on to anything over about sixty miles and I have mine mounted on a 50ft tower.
I was going to post a link to the 91xg on their site but for some reason I couldn't
access the site.

sorry to butt in, it appears that the solid signal website is down.

Should I make another post asking where to purchase from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)