Best Burger?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they sold them. They did the same thing up in Duluth
3 in Duluth and 1 in Cloquet...all closed up to become Arby's :(

We hada similarsituation in Northern Va. First Hardee's bought the local Roy Rogers (or all buta few) and turned them into hardee's. then they were all converted back to Roy rogers and finally MCDonalds bought them out but sold off several locations.

You can still find roys and Hardees in the exurbs but not close in.

In Canada, Harvey's is hard to beat.

When I lived in California, In'n Out Burger.

Here in Florida, I can't say I've found a great fast food burger.

Iceberg Hardess, theres one in saint paul on Hamline ave and St. Anothony parkway, although that maybe a little bit of a haul for ya its not 50 miles from ya
Its open 24 hours
In Canada, Harvey's is hard to beat.
ill have to try it later this week as im headed to Mtlfor christmas to vivit family
theres one near the house but never tried it, been by it many times
ill make sure i stop in later this week/next week

When I used to travel to White Sands New Mexico, I usually stopped at a place called the Owl Bar and Grill. Great chili cheeseburgers. Not sure if they're still there.

Iceberg Hardess, theres one in saint paul on Hamline ave and St. Anothony parkway, although that maybe a little bit of a haul for ya its not 50 miles from ya
I noticed there were some in Anoka & Elk River but I go to Hutch alot to visit some buddies so I usually stop there :)

I personally like the McD double cheeseburger, mainly cause it only cost $1 and it's plenty juicy (or greasy depending on how long it sits before you eat it)

As far as Fast food is concerned, I think Wendys has them all beat hands down!

As far as sit down resturants, Steak N Shake is deffinitly the clear winner in my area.

Other than that, there are a few mom and pop places that make a pretty good burger. We do have one resturant around here called Travis, but they grill them with onions and me and my friends have a saying if your going to eat there, you better be close to home because your going to have to take a crap about an hour after you eat.

One thing that nobody has brought up here is that Mc Donalds and Burger King has changed their recipee over the years and its not the same as it used to be. I remember in the 1980's we used to go in there as a kid and they would have the burgers already pre-made, and if you wanted something special order they would actually serve you something fresh off the grill. Now a days since both Mc Donalds and Burger king have changed to "Made to Order" the process is different. They are basically pre-warming all the meat, they slap the burger together and zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm it up. The taste is not there like I remember it when I was growing up.

Speaking of that, who the f**k cares that Mc Donalds used to fry their french fries in animal fat? Now apparently they are using some sort of Vegtable or olive oil, and to be honest the taste is just not the same. I know they want to say they are all healthy and stuff, but if I wanted to eat healthy, the last place I would start eating is at Mc Donalds!

The thing about it is that nobody has noticed it since the change has been gradual over several years. Take Coke for example, I think around 1985 when they had that New Coke Vs Classic Coke thing, Coke switched the recipee from Sugar Cane to High Fractose Corn Syrup. Personally I prefer the Corn Syrup version better since it is not as sweet as Sugar Cane, but the cast and point is that Mc Donalds and Burger King did the same thing!

Anyone ever remember the old fries at burger king? Granted they where not as crispy as Mc Donalds, but they where actually good. The new ones are crispy, but I prefer the old taste better.

Its at the point where I will not even eat at Mc Donalds or Burger King. I only eat at the following places in no paticular order...

#1 Wendys
#2 Taco Bell (Don't even get me started there)
#3 Rallys / Checkers
#4 Arbys (Not the same as it was 20 years ago)
#5 Steak N Shake
#6 Big Boy
#7 Ruth Chris Steak House (No complaints here, but very expensive)
#8 Pizza Hut (Occasionally, but they still suck)
#9 Any little mom and pop resturant

chain wise its always going to be the whopper for me.

mom and pop though it is The Grille in downtown Athens, mushroom swiss burger is what they do best.

Second chain would be red robbins guac burger or the bonzai burger.

Fast Food: Wendy's
National chain: Red Robin
Local: Kopps - great custard, too
Sit Down: Red Robin
mom and pop: Night Owl (the greasy, wrapped in wax paper, leaks through the bag, Philly Cheesesteak of burgers. My arteries are clogging just thinking about their burgers. mmm, butterburger!)

When I first moved to California, Pacific Star was the best. In'n Out is good, my nephew used to manage one of them. Still have In'n Out every time we visit.

When we lived in Omaha, a local chain, Don & Millies had the best.

Now back in an area where Steak & Shake are available again, when I want a burger, if we are in the right city, thats where I go.

BUT - HOMEMADE rules all; price and taste! I home grind my own selections/grades/cuts of meat the morning that I am going to grill them. There is nearly ZERO reason to ever buy a retail burger or steak as long as you know your butcher (not the meat counter) and how to select.

My hamburger comes from a cow raised by a member of my church. Their primary business is hogs, but they raise a limited number of beef for a select clientele. We get a half at a time (you don't want it in the freezer for over 6 months). It gets processed at a local butcher, according to our specifications. The half we are eating now is particularly good. (The difference doesn't show up that much in the hamburger, but the steaks and roasts from this one melt in your mouth.)

The best hamburger ever is no longer available. It was made by my grandmother. She owned a cafe at one time, and did all the cooking. Even after she retired, her hamburger was from the local butcher, according to her specifications, from local beef. However, it doesn't matter, because it went beyond the ingredients. I could pat out a hamburger from the same package, put it in the same pan (where the patties cooked in butter), and it tasted different. My theory is that there was something in her skin that flavored the patty when she made it. Since she's gone, so is the chance for the best burger in the world. :hungry:

The double chili cheese with bacon -a-plenty at the (As seen on the food channel) world famous Beacon Drive In located in Spartanburg South Carolina. Just about anyone who wants to be president has to eat at the Beacon sometime during their campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)