Best Buy Stands Behind Customers

gdarwin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Lousville, KY
HDTV Magazine Bulletins - Best Buy Stands Behind Customers By Awarding More Than $10 Million in Gift Cards to HD DVD Purchasers

Best Buy Stands Behind Customers By Awarding More Than $10 Million in Gift Cards to HD-DVD Purchasers
Leading Consumer Electronics Retailer will Send $50 Gift Cards to Customers Who Purchased an HD-DVD Player from Best Buy in the U.S.

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With Blu-ray declaring victory over HD-DVD in the high definition movie format war, Best Buy, the nation's largest consumer electronics retailer, is giving $50 gift cards to customers who purchased an HD-DVD player or HD-DVD attachment from its U.S. stores before February 23, 2008. Customers will get a gift card for each player or HD-DVD attachment that they purchased. Through this program, Best Buy will distribute more than $10 million in gift cards to customers across the country.
"The DVD format war has divided our customers in a way we haven't seen since Betamax took on VHS more than 20 years ago," said Brian J. Dunn, president and chief operating officer for Best Buy. "At Best Buy, we understood and shared our customers' frustrations as they were being asked to choose one format or the other. Now that the format war is over, we hope these gift cards will reassure our customers that we will help them make a smooth transition into the right technology for their needs."
Most Best Buy customers won't have to do anything to receive their gift card. As a demonstration of its commitment to its customers, Best Buy will proactively mail cards to all customers that the company can identify as having purchased an HD-DVD player. Members of the Best Buy Reward Zone program, customers who purchased Performance Service Plans (PSPs) or who made their purchase on BestBuy.com should look for their gift cards in the mail by May 1. Other customers who may not be easily identified can call (888) BEST BUY to receive their gift cards with proof of purchase through a credit card or their Best Buy receipt.
"The beauty of this offer is that it doesn't require our customers to give up their HD-DVD player," said Barry Judge, chief marketing officer for Best Buy. "We know that many people who purchased these players have HD-DVD movies that they would like to continue to watch. We're telling our customers they can keep their players to play these movies as well as their older DVDs and use the $50 to treat themselves to anything else in our stores."
HD-DVD players can actually deliver greatly enhanced video performance with standard DVDs by upconverting the video resolution.
Beginning on March 21, customers who do want to get rid of their HD-DVD players can visit Best Buy's Online Trade-In Center at www.bestbuytradein.com. Visitors to the site will receive instant estimates of the value of their HD-DVD players and movies. Those who agree with the estimates can then ship their goods to the Trade-In Center free of charge by downloading a prepaid shipping label and will receive an additional gift card as payment for their trade-in. This service is open to HD-DVD owners regardless of where they bought their player.
For more information visit www.bestbuy.com/hddvd.

About Best Buy Co., Inc.
Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE:BBY) operates a global portfolio of brands with a commitment to growth and innovation. Our employees strive to provide customers around the world with superior experiences by responding to their unique needs and aspirations. We sell consumer electronics, home-office products, entertainment software, appliances and related services through nearly 1,300 retail stores across the United States, throughout Canada and in China. Our multi-channel operations include: Best Buy (BestBuy.com, BestBuy.ca and BestBuy.com.cn), Future Shop (FutureShop.ca), Geek Squad (GeekSquad.com and GeekSquad.ca), Pacific Sales Kitchen and Bath Centers (PacificSales.com), Magnolia Audio Video (Magnoliaav.com), Jiangsu Five Star Appliance Co. (Five-Star.cn) and Speakeasy (Speakeasy.net). Best Buy supports the communities in which its employees work and live through volunteerism and grants that benefit children and education.

Wow, since I upgraded to a Duo player, the HD DVD add on for my XBox may get traded in since I bought it at Best Buy back in 12/2006.

Way to go Best Buy.....!

I work in retail, and am a stockholder. I've seen alot of weird promotions, but this one takes the cake. They are betting $10M on customers coming in to spend that $50 and then some, incrementally. Typical gift card generate double their value in sales. If the customer spends a $100 of movies or other higher margin goods, BBY breaks even.

If the customer spends $400 on a bluray player (which have much lower margins - $50 or less) than BBY at MOST breaks even.

Seems like a gamble to me.

Of course, they play the card of doing the right thing for the customer. I don't believe that. Simply put, the aren't losing customers based on individuals that bought HD-DVD, if they do, it is very few customers. No different than any other retailer.

This promotion is simply about generating return trips and sales. Paying $50 to each customer to come in and hopefully spend $100+ is a risk.

I just find the whole thing very interesting.

If the customer spends $400 on a bluray player (which have much lower margins - $50 or less) than BBY at MOST breaks even.
Wow!
10% margin on a $400 item? Are you sure?

What are the chances that BB "shares" this initiative with BDA? Sony?

Diogen.

Meanwhile, they are actually holding out an olive branch vs. the BluRay folks who have offered ZILCH to HD DVD owners to try and get them to switch.

All those HD DVD owners are early adopters that could help push BluRay. I'm surprised they haven't done more to reach out. It's been a month since Toshiba surrendered. All the BluRay folks did was let the holiday promotions expire and let the prices tick back up.

At least Best Buy is trying to do SOMETHING. Here's an idea, ... partner with BestBuy to offer another $50 if they use BB's $50 rebate to buy a BluRay player..... making it $100 towards a BluRay player.... That would do more to drive adoption.

Err... the $200 HD DVD players had margins of $50. The $500 ($400? at Best Buy?) Blu-Ray players allegedly have margins of $150.

A $50 gift card is nice. You don't have to give up your player, either.

BB outta offer "trade-ins" on HD DVD players, perhaps something like buy a BD player and at the same time trade-in the HD DVD player on 5 BD titles at reduced price or such. That might help get some of the HD DVD owners off the fence and into the BD market sooner at minimal cost/risk to BB...

BB outta offer "trade-ins" on HD DVD players, perhaps something like buy a BD player and at the same time trade-in the HD DVD player on 5 BD titles at reduced price or such. That might help get some of the HD DVD owners off the fence and into the BD market sooner at minimal cost/risk to BB...

They do. It started today. I plugged in my info just to see what they would offer. $125 for an A35 and 20 movies. You do have to send everything to them. Here's the link if anyone's interested.

HD DVD GC

S~

This is truly amazing. Very nice of them. I suppose some of the sent in players can be used to replace units returned in the future under their extended warranty program. But they'll have more than they need for that.

I guess you're right, it's a combination of hoping they'll spend enough for BB to come out ahead anyway, and general customer good will.

I won't cash-in my HD DVD player and titles yet and unfortunately the deal at BB is only good for players bought from them, so I'm probably SOL with my Wal*Mart-bought A2 anyway as far as the automatic credit goes. (I'm also guessing that the trade-in deal BB will offer on this base model will also be minimal, if anything.) But it's interesting to see that "my" idea actually has some traction! I'll be quite interested in where this goes, especially if BB starts unloading the used HD DVD titles in a bargain bin somewhere...!!

I won't cash-in my HD DVD player and titles yet and unfortunately the deal at BB is only good for players bought from them, so I'm probably SOL with my Wal*Mart-bought A2 anyway as far as the automatic credit goes. (I'm also guessing that the trade-in deal BB will offer on this base model will also be minimal, if anything.) But it's interesting to see that "my" idea actually has some traction! I'll be quite interested in where this goes, especially if BB starts unloading the used HD DVD titles in a bargain bin somewhere...!!

If you go to the trade in section at BB it doesn't matter from whom you bought it. Just not worth it to me.

S~

I got an email from BB yesterday telling me to call them about getting a gift card for buying an HD DVD player from them. I called them today and was told my purchase date (1-22-08) qualified me to receive a gift card of $50.00. I am to allow 4 to 6 weeks to receive it. Yea!

Its an ingenious marketing ploy. And since BD players are showing NO SIGNS of going down in price, they stand to make money just through customer loyalty.

I got the phone call tonight from Best Buy. Automated message saying they are sending me a $50 giftcard cause their records show I bought a HD-DVD player from them. Pretty cool that I had to do nothing to get the card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)