Best deal for HD only? And OTA question

htlover83

Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
I only want the hd from dish so i was wondering what the cheapest package i can get would be? Also does mounting an antenna in your attic always work and is it as good as on the roof? We have a 2 story house. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also which receiver should i get? I want to be able to get the new hd channels and i read something about the 211 but couldn't find it on there site.

Your antenna will not work as well inside the attic as on the roof- but it might work "good enough." You have the right to put up an antenna on your roof. See this FCC document.

I put an antenna in my attic and it didn't work very good due to tin or some thing up there. I have an antenna out side on my two story house. I pull in my OTA 60 miles away great.

OTA antenna

Real answer depends upon several factors, terrain, distance to station, station power and receiver used. THEN there is the antenna, the location, and the gain. But unless there is a signal to start with, you are out of luck.

In General, most (90% or so) of the locals broadcasting HD do so in the UHF spectrum. There are some links to see where the stations are located in regards to your location. If they are within 60-100 miles and the terrain is mostly flat, a good UHF antenna with a gain of 12 db or more will probably pull in the stronger stations. Since you have a two story house, you may not want to go on the roof and you can try a UHF antenna in your attic. If the signal strength on the TV shows less than 50%, you will definitely see an improvement with an outside antenna. If the signal strenght is 60% or more, the signal will lock in OK and placing the antenna outside will not be worth the effort (aside from rain, fog, etc)

You can purchase an OTA desk top box at several places for under $200 and try it with a suitable output (components, HDMI, etc) to your set). You can start with a few feet of wire (or rabbit ears) near the TV to see if there is any signal whatsoever there. From there you can postulate as to what you might be able to receive. UHF is mostly line of sight but it will penetrate most walls and roofs but the signal will be attenuated.

Most OTA desk top boxes as well as the Dish 811 use first or second generation HD decoders. The newer dish receivers like the 211 most likely have the latest generation receivers, but you will have to subscribe to a qualifying package to get the OTA part of the receivers to work.

For an antenna in the attic, make sure you don't have aluminum siding. No attic antenna worked for me, and that's probably one of the reasons why.

-John

navychop said:
Your antenna will not work as well inside the attic as on the roof- but it might work "good enough." You have the right to put up an antenna on your roof. See this FCC document.[/URL]
You have the right to do it per the FCC, but my homeowner's association can also foreclose on anyone they want to with a majority vote. I would suggest that they chcek with the HOA before doing something on their own, unless they want to move anyway:cool:

Actually there was case that went to the Supreme Court saying they can not sell your house underneath you. The only thing they can do is fine you and then put a lean on your house for those fines. Then they can only get payment when you sell your house. With that and the fact that the FCC law allows anything up to a 12 foot mast there isn't really anything a HOA can do.

FU HOA!!

Well, I just got back from Radio Shack with one of the big antennas, and I'm off to mount it in the attic. Surely being line of sight will get me good OTA HD even in the attic. I'll report back on it when I find out, currently even SD over dish kinda sucks with my 811. :-( Only thing that looks "wow" is disc HD and HDNet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)