Best Dish For Ku Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was looking for one, I emailed rpssat they gave me some prices but I was told they are shipped direct from the usa (I'm in Canada) and that is why my prices are so insane, I thought about having one shipped to my buddy in NY and going to pick it up but never did.

I was quoted on a 10' DH and a 3.1 meter Patriot solid, I do not think they are shipped fedex or ups I did not ask.

You can't go wrong with a solid dish it will be best on both C-band and Ku-band.
Good Luck!

You will not find any antennas of that size that can be shipped via UPS.
Patriot and True Focus/Andersen would be my suggestions in the 3.1 or 3.8 meter sizes. Shipping will need to be done by motor freight, and it would be advisable to either make local arrangements to pick it up at the nearest freight depot, or have delivery to a local business preferably with a loading dock. Residential deliveries can add anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars extra surcharge, and that is how to avoid it.

The best Ku-band antenna (fixed on one satellite) would have to be the
2.4 meter True Focus offset. It's a monster to ship, but has excellent performance and no compromises when trying to use a conventional offset Ku-band LNBF.

Mesh antennas should be avoided for Ku-band reception. They do not keep their shape or performance over time on Ku-band frequencies.

You will have better results with solid...my advice would be to consider either a motorized 3.1 meter (10 foot) from Patriot, for both C and Ku-band, or if you want to save $$$ and go for mesh, do it on C-band and look at motorizing a solid offset Ku-band antenna in the 30 to 36 inch size with a DiSEqC motor and MPEG-2 receiver.

You definitely won't find a 10 or 12' dish being shipped via UPS or Fedex. SatelliteAV has an 8 footer that can be shipped Fedex, but as far as I know it's on a tripod so I don't think you can motorize it. Your best bet is to setup a seperate Ku system OR try to find a 10' or so solid dish locally. A 10 or 12' mesh dish with small enough holes will work, but won't be optimal...many times I've heard that the signal strength is lower than a 30in solid dish. However there is hope for Ku on a mesh. Check out this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=75687

linuxman tuned his 10' mesh dish for very good signal quality on C and Ku! Yes, it can be done. The only problem is locating a mesh dish that will work that good.

I was looking at the SatelliteAV webpage and they have a GEOSATPRO 2.4 METER PRIME / POLAR MOUNT dish. It says it is suitable for C/KU-Band reception. I plan to use a 4DTV receiver only on the dish. I was needing a dish that is good for Ku band so I can get the X4 satellite channels. It says it is a polar mount so I assume it can be motorized? Thanks for all the help.

You will need a arm for the 2.4 you mentioned, 8' is a bit small for C-band, you may not get all your 4dtv channels, or you will need to peak the dish very well, your Ku-band should be very good, a 8.5' or larger is best for C-band.

in my daily drive to work i pass about 12 buds and 1/2 are solids so i bet with little effort you could locate and get one locally probably for little of nothing since most of these are inactive. Now as per resetting one up that might be harder but i don't think its nothing that several members can help walk you through.

new is nice but it isn't always better :eek:)

tdti1 said:
I was looking for one, I emailed rpssat they gave me some prices but I was told they are shipped direct from the usa (I'm in Canada) and that is why my prices are so insane, I thought about having one shipped to my buddy in NY and going to pick it up but never did.

I was quoted on a 10' DH and a 3.1 meter Patriot solid, I do not think they are shipped fedex or ups I did not ask.

You can't go wrong with a solid dish it will be best on both C-band and Ku-band.
Good Luck!

I was looking at eBay yesterday afternoon under dishes and saw 2 or 3 different Canadian eBay stores with good size dishes.. If you're still looking you might want to check that out..

I will take a look, I am now looking for a 12' solid I already have a 10.5' mesh and I would like a larger dish, and one that will be super on Ku-band.

I had the pleasure of talking on the phone with the man who designed the Intersat IQ 160 analog receiver back in 1982. He lives less than 15 miles from me.

He has a 16' fiberglass disassembled and in his basement. He also has a 12 footer of some kind down there too along with several of the units he designed still new and in the box.

I don't know if he wants to sell the 16 footer or not, but can always call and ask. I don't know how you would get it other than drive or have it shipped by motor freight.

The analog units are too old to do us much good. They only have C-Band inputs. Built before there was any KU.

He said he used to catch two Russian eliptical satellites that used to be up there, but then the Russians didn't have the rocket power to get them into the Clarke Belt.

Very nice guy, and full of lots of the old day stories. Was interested in the new FTA I told him about. Is burned out on electronics, and is now re-habbing houses.

If you are interested, I can call and find out about it.

Fred

I know what you mean. He is a very interesting person to talk to.

He said that when they first introduced the IQ 160 at the electronics show that year, the IQ 160 was the only receiver that actually had an IR remote. Everyone else had a wire that ran across the floor and plugged into the receiver. :D

Almost all of the old school electronics lasted a lot longer than they do nowadays. My parents had an old top loading VCR that lasted about 15 years. Then again, they paid a $1000 when they came out. Sure, they lasted longer than they do nowadays, but our VCRs cost less than a tenth of a price. You get what you paid for. That is really interesting gabshere!

I think I mentioned I actually bought one of those IQ 160's in 1983 or 4, can't remember exactly. It and a 12' Challenger Fiberglass dish cost me about $3000.00 all set up and working. I didn't know anything about how it worked, just knew that you could push buttons, and watch tv. :D

The dish had to have a yard of concrete poured and bolts placed into it for the base to set on, but the picture and the way it worked was fabulous. If they haven't gotten rid of it, the people I sold it to might still have it. I'll have to run by there and check it out some day. It came in plates that were bolted together. It took two guys about 14 hours to put it together, and tune it in.

Wow, two guys and 14 hours. And some people gripe about having to put up a D*/E* 18" dish. I can aim and lock a high signal in 10 mins easy. I'm 21...wish I would've been alive and kicking when C-band was hot. Of course, I'm having a blast with FTA, and surely can't wait till I can get a BUD. It's funny how I've chatted with people that used to have C, got rid of it, and now wish they had it back. Why did it die, and why so quickly? Anyone have a guess?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts