Best Dish For Ku Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What's to guess? It didn't die, it's still very much there, and very much alive. People got other options and went other ways. Different people have different preferences and those preferences may have led them in other directions. I've never abandoned it, and hopefully never will. I sure don't intend to.

Al

voomvoom said:
What's to guess? It didn't die, it's still very much there, and very much alive. People got other options and went other ways. Different people have different preferences and those preferences may have led them in other directions. I've never abandoned it, and hopefully never will. I sure don't intend to.

Al

I never left, over 20 years using the same old bud, yes I did try the small dishes, all except Voom and never liked them enough to hold on to them.

I left it because we were moving, and was told by the dealer that I needed to spend more money on a "Black Box" because the channels were all going to get scrambled, and I had a chance to sell it and recoup about 2/3's of my money, so I did.

When I got ready to try satellite again about 95 or so, that same dealer told me that C-Band was all gone, and the only options were D or D. That was a lie. It was his only options, I just didn't know any better. I bought the same line that everyone else did, and faithfully paid month after month for over 10 years.

Until I heard about FTA, and found this website, and am now enjoying FTA from sea to shining sea. :D

Once everything is lined out, I will probably subscribe to a couple of VCII+ channels until they go away, but the rest is FTA baby.

I love it.

I got my first BUD in the early 80's LNA, Downconverter, nothing was Scrambled then got VCII standalone then a GI 2400r then I got D* back in 96 ( to take camping) and migrated my programming from BUD to it, then got E* in '01 for UPN when UPN scrambled on BUD (Star Trek) then migrated the bulk of my programming to E* , now thinking of reducing my package on D* and getting a small package on BUD again for better PQ for SciFi...

dfergie said:
now thinking of reducing my package on D* and getting a small package on BUD again for better PQ for SciFi...

Great idea, I recommend anyone who can sub to do so, sadly I am not sure how long the analog Sci fi will be up or any analog for that matter, mite want to sub only by month or 3 months at a time, good news is the master digital feeds are on Galaxy-15 transponder 24 the 4dtv will be able to get them if a contract is made.

Here are my observations comparing a Channelmaster 10' perf aluminum dish and solid dishs for KU band. The 10'er gives my higher signal quality than any of my solid ku dishs, including my 1.2 meter.

Here are comparative signal strengths on g10 11720 on my pansat 2700a
76 cm winegard sq ~ 35%
40x30 p* dish sq ~ 45%
1.2 meter dish sq ~ 65%
10' perf dish sq ~ 75%

Maybe tomorrow, I'll post some pictures close up of my 10' BUD. I have had a long day, and am too tired to take the pictures now.

I have never let you see it close up for fear that you would laugh at how bad it looks. You would have all told me that it would never work, but it does, and works pretty good too I might add.

The key is in the focal distance, the f/d ratio, and perfect alignment in the center and on the arc.

If it hadn't been for you guys, and your suggestions, it wouldn't have worked, but I will let you see all the defects tomorrow.

For today, here are some pics that I took when I first brought it home. This doesn't show all the hail dents in it. I repaired the tear, and bent back the holes for the most part, but there wasn't much I could do with the hail dents, but it performs beautifully anyway.

Tomorrow I will show you what it looks like now.

repair1.jpg repair2.jpg repair3.jpg

I just checked the SQ on 11720 on G10, and it is 74 -76% on my Pansat 3500SD.

Linuxman

Last edited:
drhydro said:
Here are my observations comparing a Channelmaster 10' perf aluminum dish and solid dishs for KU band. The 10'er gives my higher signal quality than any of my solid ku dishs, including my 1.2 meter.

Here are comparative signal strengths on g10 11720 on my pansat 2700a
76 cm winegard sq ~ 35%
40x30 p* dish sq ~ 45%
1.2 meter dish sq ~ 65%
10' perf dish sq ~ 75%

Doc, what is a perf aluminum dish... Thanks

Well here are the pics that show all the blemishes on my dish and the patch I put on for the big tear.

ten-dimples.jpg ten-more-holes.jpg ten-patched.jpg

I tried to flatten out the hail dimples, but it is like trying to take out the hail dents in your car fender. They just don't flatten. I did manage to close some of the little holes up by using a hammer and a piece of flat steel to mash against.

Here is a pic that shows the hole sizes. The specs on the dish say they are .110 x .150 diamond shaped holes. The pencils are #2 size, and as you can see on the yellow pencil, the lead does pass through the hole. hole-size.jpg

I can't account for why it performs so well except to say that I spent a lot of time tweaking and peaking every aspect of alignment. :D

Fred

Perf aluminum dishs are made from aluminum sheets that have been perforated, not from a wire mesh. I have attached a close up pic of what it looks like.

Attachments

• dishcloseup.jpg
    dishcloseup.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 161
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)