Best DVB-S PCI Card, Slaving to STB Receiver, Best Software?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
I'd like to get a DVB-S PCI card for my computer, so I can receive some HD programming, and I was wondering what the best PCI card is for a Vista computer? Also, how would I go about slaving it to a mercury II receiver? Should I get a DC block? Also what seems to be the best software for controlling a DVB-S card? I appreciate any help. :)

Also, is there software or anything out there that currently blindscans?

I used the nextorm dvb world usb 2 box... started using because of the rave reviews here... it's a very nice way to start since everything you need is more or less in the box, and it's super simple to setup.

As far as slaving and junk goes, if you have an invacom quad or some similar type of lnb like I've got, use two of the L and Cs to go to normal fta receiver box and 2 to go to computer... you'll need a switch to combine each L and C. I have mine set up that way so that the stuff in computer won't have to be on same polarity (H or V) as the fta box. If you use fta box's IF out the computer will be on same polarity as the fta box, which could block some of the tps until you switch it over on the main fta receiver... with computer hooked straight to lnb, you avoid that problem... I have the sg2100 motor tied to the fta receiver, not the computer, because I know for sure the fta reciever can move the motor ok. I've read that some pci cards and other computer boxes have problems with motors, either due to too much or too little power coming in to computer or in to motor, which could fry something, like your computer's motherboard or your diseqc switch if you aren't careful... I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

so my setup is basically

LNB C&L 1-->DISEQC SWITCH 1-->SG2100 MOTOR-->FTA RECEIVER
LNB C&L 2-->DISEQC SWITCH 2-->DVB WORLD USB BOX-->COMPUTER

I have lots of stuff after the FTA RECIEVER to send it to a audigy external sound box and to speakers around the house, and a couple of tvs, but what I outlined above is the main setup going to the lnb... and is an easy way to set up stuff if you have both fta receiver and a dvb box or card on computer so they fta reciever and computer more or less act independently and are not slaved to one another, thereby reducing need to be all on H tps or on L tps at any given time (makes using computer as a pvr very nice since it can switch channels all day on it's own without worrying about which polarity you are watching on the main tv in living room so long as you are parked on the right bird in the sky)...

Almost all lnb cards DO NOT have full blind scan...but you should be easily able to load a tp list...

If you use dvb dream (which is free and works with most dvb cards) and use elecard codec, getting hd shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the detailed response. Helped me out a lot. Now I just gotta aim my dish correctly and get used to the stb, and I'll probably pick a DVB card up. Thanks again. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)