Best EHD for Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Just got my Hopper installed the other day. I am now going to buy a new external hard drive.
So, what's the consensus about the best hard drive for Hopper?
What's the safest choice? Any particular brand recommendations?
I assume the eSATA interface is not enabled yet. Correct?
Should I stay within 2TB? Your comments and recommendations are welcome!

Stay within 2TB, WD Elements seems to be the most popular. I use one that came off of my 722 to my Hopper and it works just fine.

Just got my Hopper installed the other day. I am now going to buy a new external hard drive.
I tried an ESATA connection and Hopper popped up an alert saying that feature is not supported. Maybe some day but for now you need to stick with USB drives.

You need a powered drive. USB-powered drives aren't supported and probably won't work. The "portable" drives are most likely USB-powered and should be avoided.

You can run multiple drives at the same time on Hopper (and the 922) using multiple USB ports on the receiver or via a hub.

If you will be archiving programs you don't want to loose, consider a RAID 1 (mirroring). They aren't supported but mine works fine. RAID 1 doubles the cost of EHD storage but it's insurance against program loss. Take the attitude that a drive WILL fail someday. If you can't afford to loose the information, back it up. You can't do copies with the Dish receiver's interface so RAID 1 or cloning drives on a unix PC would be your only choices.

Green drives will consume less energy at the expense of performance. But in the case of an EHD for your satellite receiver you may not notice any performance issues (slowness to access programs, freezing/dropouts during playback).

Some drives may also spin down without activity. My 922 was OK with this and just took longer to begin playback. But Hopper reports problems accessing the drive if it's in standby and you have to try again.

The "best" brand. I always used Seagate but had some recent failures and switched to Western Digital. WD seems to have the best track record currently.

The WD Elements drive referenced by "Bobby" is a green drive with power management (spin-down). It is self-powered and a reasonable choice price-wise.

I got this for 79 bucks shipped a while back. It works perfect

Newegg.com - Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAF0020HBK-NESN

Breathing Borla said:
I got this for 79 bucks shipped a while back. It works perfect

$79?! That must've been before the flood...

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

I've been using USB drive docks (from NewEgg or Amazon) and have had no problem plugging in any of the extra drives I have laying around from my computer. You just have to spend $30-$40 on the dock once, connect it to the Hopper, and then plug in any bare 2TB or less drive. The open-air design of the drive docks also tends to keep the drives cooler.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)