Best FTA receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AstroJMC

Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Greetings all,

I'm looking for the best FTA receiver for my 27" Sanyo HDTV with component inputs. My FTA system consists of a motorized 8' C/KU dish and 36" stationary dish managed by a Disecq switch.

The following 4 criteria are most important to me:

1. Picture Quality: Which receiver has the best picture quality with component video?

2. Ease of Use: Need a receiver that's easy to setup and operate (must be able to sort and bin channels by satellite, etc.) and fun to use!

3. Quality & Reliability: Which units have the fewest problems, good updates, and best support?

4. Sensitive Tuning: Having some problems with the weaker transponders due to my location (Washington State).

Have a few particular models in mind:

Pansat 3500

Coolsat 5000/6000

ExtremeView Magnum XV 3300

Viewsat Extreme

Neusat HD-8000

Looking forward to your opinions!

Split from the the review area!

WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

:welcome

The BEST receiver I have seen for picture quality and sensitive tuner has to be the Traxis DBS 3500. Alas it does not have Component video output.

Its also a lot of fun and can be used as a satellite meter using the signal quality tone and LCD display!

See the review here.............

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56755

I have had three receivers but am currently using the Fortec Lifetime Classic NA. I would recommend it for scanning as you can set the quality of the scan you want. It also has component video and AC3 sound and is easy to use.

I'm trying to decide between the Viewsat Extreme and the Coolsat 6000.

Which has the better picture, sound, reliability, ease of use and tuning sensitivity?

Equipment: 27" HDTV with component inputs and an 8' C/Ku motorized dish.

Looking forward to your opinions!

moved out of review area and merged thread :)

Please see your original thread. that had some answers in it

Last edited:
AstroJMC said:
1. Picture Quality: Which receiver has the best picture quality with component video?
dont use component so I can't comment

2. Ease of Use: Need a receiver that's easy to setup and operate (must be able to sort and bin channels by satellite, etc.) and fun to use!
Coolsat 5000, Pansat 3500 and Fortec Classic are my top 3

3. Quality & Reliability: Which units have the fewest problems, good updates, and best support?
Pansat & Fortec have pretty good updates. Coolsat is pretty stable right now :)

4. Sensitive Tuning: Having some problems with the weaker transponders due to my location (Washington State).
There are a few weak satellites that hit MN (AMC2 at 85 and SBS6 Vertical on 74) and both the Coolsat and the Fortec pick them up. Fortec is a little more sensative.

Have a few particular models in mind:

Pansat 3500

Coolsat 5000/6000
both good units

ExtremeView Magnum XV 3300
clone of another unit

Viewsat Extreme
eh, its OK. I wouldnt use it with a motor

I have worked with enough units to know the good from the bad. The Fortec, Pansat & Coolsat have a true blind scan. Viewsat has a so-so blind scan (the original ones did not).

Some "claim" a blind scan but its bunk. Doesn't work. Captiveworks, older Viewsat and NeoSat "claim" blind scan but it doesn't work.

IMO, a blind scan is a must for finding all those weird channels and feeds :)

The Fortec Classic has a pretty clean picture using regular old A/V cables :)

Last edited:
The only HD units are the $600+ Quali unit and a DVB card/USB device for a PC.

I've never seen a 27inch HD screen before... other than being 16:9 you probably can't see all that much difference between SD and HD except for the color palette, eh?

Is the Traxis a clone or an "original" receiver?

Is there a website that lists all the genuine receivers as well as the clones. That would be helpful for newbies getting into FTA

Jammer

One of the units you listed earlier has a USB port for a thumbdrive and the new Pansat has an SD card. Either of those makes editing your channels and satellites MUCH easier sine you can pop them into the PC then back into the receiver w/o messing with a cable. Having component video our also helps keep other ports on your TV free if you have other stuff to plug in.

:hatsoff:

I like the Fortec Mercury II which I have been playing with over the past week. I really didn't think I would like it better then my Coolsat 5000 but I do and it really surprised me.

What about the MVidea and the Megasat.
Are any of these receivers genuine or clones?

Sorry to keep asking these questions guys but I'm planning on getting a receiver wthin a week or so and just want to know whats legit & whats not.

Jarugz

Jammer said:
What about the MVidea and the Megasat.
Are any of these receivers genuine or clones?

Sorry to keep asking these questions guys but I'm planning on getting a receiver wthin a week or so and just want to know whats legit & whats not.

Jarugz

Those are brand names, so there will be genuine and cloned receivers out there. If you buy from one of our GOLD sponsors you will have NO worries about clones!

beeing my first FTA stb, I cannot comment if it's better than others, but i'm rilly enjoying my fortec mercury II. It can bin the channels from each satellite, sort them in many ways, has component output like previously stated by others. As for ease of use, the default factory transponders are allready set on (well 98%) active transponders, so it's easy for a beginner to find quality signal. The blind scan has found everything and more, that my twinhan in the old computer gets. If there isn't anything on tv, built in Tetris!

Last edited:
So you would suggest I stay away from both MVidea and Megasat?

I've basically narrowed my choice down to two receivers already, the Traxis 4550 and the CaptiveWorks 600S Premium, but the features of both the MVidea and the Megasat peaked my interest maybe for a second receiver.

Please give me your honest opinion on all four if you can.

Thanks

Jammer

the Megasat brand are clones of the Coolsat brand. If you didn't know this allready.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts