Best HD Choice?

aarontx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hello all,

I have been a dish network customer for a few years now and have a 522. I have a large HD television, and I currently use an OTA antenna and my integrated digital tuner to get all my HD locals.

I would like to get national HD channels soon, and I need some help on which carrier I should choose.

My fav SD channels are History, ESPN, ComedyCentral, NFL network, HGTV, Cartoon Network, Discovery, Science channel, Spike. I also watch all of the local sports Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars and Rangers.

Which provider would probably be better for me Dish network or Directv? I do not mind waiting alittle while to get some channels. I have charter cable available too, but they seem to not have any channels.

Also I only want 1 dish total installed, I currently have a dish 500 installed and 1 522.

Thanks for the help guys,

Aaron

If you upgraded to an HD-DVR, then Dish would replace your Dish 500 with a Dish 1000.2 - which is still a single dish. Dish has a program for existing subs, called "Dishin It Up" which has a low HD upgrade cost and rebates. The installation of the new dish would be included at no extra charge.

If you upgraded today, you would be able to get ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, NFL Network-HD, HGTV-HD and Discovery HD from your list (and a couple dozen other HD channels). Science-HD and History-HD are likely to be on Dish some time this fall when they startup.

Beyond that, both Dish and DirecTV are launching new satellites to add new HD channels. All the SD channels have plans for HD eventually, but they are really dragging their feet about it. For example, The Weather Channel is launching an HD channel this fall, BUT it will have only have SD content for some months, until they can finish changing all their equipment to HD. So, it is sort of a "place holder", holding their spot in the cable and satellite lineups. I suspect a lot of channels will do the same.

Conclusion - no one can tell you today what the situation is going to be in 6 or 12 months from now.

PS 12 months from now will be the Olympics, and HD TVs will be flying out the door of stores so people can see it - you can be that China is planning some pretty spectacular shows for that. This means that channels that have a clue will want to be running in HD in fall 2008 - and by then, both Dish and DirecTV will have all their new satellites online.

If you upgraded today, you would be able to get ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, NFL Network-HD, HGTV-HD and Discovery HD from your list (and a couple dozen other HD channels). Science-HD and History-HD are likely to be on Dish some time this fall when they startup.

Say I have AT100...will I still get all the HD channels or only if I subscribe to the proper program package? Example...National Geographic HD. I do not have it now, but will I when I get HD?

I actually have AT200 now, but I may downsize to offset the HD cost.

(say I have AT100...will I still get all the HD channels or only if I subscribe to the proper program package? Example...National Geographic HD. I do not have it now, but will I when I get HD?)

no you will not-but you should. ron

Say I have AT100...will I still get all the HD channels or only if I subscribe to the proper program package? Example...National Geographic HD. I do not have it now, but will I when I get HD?

I actually have AT200 now, but I may downsize to offset the HD cost.
You will only get National Geo HD if you subscribe to AT250. Don't blame Dish, it is a NG requirement.

My fav SD channels are History
SD
ESPN, ESPN 2 available from both carriers; additional ESPN channels may become available later in the year on D*
ComedyCentral
SD
NFL network
E*
E*
Cartoon Network
SD
Discovery
SD E* requires AT250 for the more exotic channels
Science channel
SD E* requires AT250
SD

SD means that an HD rendition is not currently available (HD versions do not exist). DIRECTV has announced that they plan to carry all of your listed channels.
I also watch all of the local sports Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars and Rangers.
What regional sports are available and what antenna you need are entirely dependent on where you live. For example all but the deep southern portions of Texas are served by the Dish 1000.2. Fox Sports Southwest is currently available to subscribers in their market area from D* and E*.

The Cowboys may be the deciding factor and where you live will figure in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts