Best Internet Phone (VoIP) Services?

I really want to go with Nettalk, but can't because they don't offer number porting (which makes it a non-starter with my wife)

With Nettalk you just pay one price for a year's service and that's it, no extra taxes or fees each month and no computer needed. That is why I went with it.
That one price per year is the same or more than the monthly tax fee with Ooma. And you do not need a computer with Ooma either

That one price per year is the same or more than the monthly tax fee with Ooma. And you do not need a computer with Ooma either

You don't need a computer with Nettalk either. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on Ooma, but I am reading some chatter on the internet about the sustainability of their business model. I can't tell if its just people trolling or if there are legit concerns. I'd hate to drop $250 and then have the company fold a week later.

Having to drop a lot more upfront for Ooma not knowing if they will be in business next year and having to pay a monthly fee anyways is why I went with Nettalk. I would rather have number portability though. A solution to that would be using Google Voice once they are able to do so but the number that shows up on the other person's caller id would show up different than the one they called so if the number were to change that may cause an issue.

I have been an Ooma customer for 2 years now. It's turned out to be a very smart move for me. I checked others, including V***** which my in-laws have, and other VOIP products. Even going with Ooma's Premier service, it is cheaper for all the features.

I still like Ooma.

Regards

I just pulled the trigger on Ooma. It will be arriving tomorrow. Here's to hoping the company stays in business at least until I break even! :D

So where did you buy it from? Have you found it on sale anywhere?

I bought it from amazon. It was on sale for $193 (down from $199). I was considering getting it at Best Buy (for an easier return), but it was $249 there.

If I can get it for like $100 then I would get it but at $200 it would take me 7 years at $30 a year before I would break even not counting the monthly fees charged by oOma vs. NetTalk. Number portability though is important to some and you would save money within a year's time compared to what Vonage charges.

I use a service called "Line2". I like this service because one dies not need to have another phone service to forward their calls to so their VOIP phone will ring. Plus Line2 is a US based company with great customer service. Only 9.99 a month unlimited calls to all US and Canada. You get a nice full screen dial pad with this application. Resembles the IPhones dial pad.

Today is the first day of your life.

The Ooma arrived yesterday and I was up and running within 15 minutes. The call quality was crystal clear. I ordered my number port and received an ETA of 1 week. So far, so good...

The Ooma arrived yesterday and I was up and running within 15 minutes. The call quality was crystal clear. I ordered my number port and received an ETA of 1 week. So far, so good...
Did you plug the phone line into an wall jack to power all phones or did you plug one phone directly into the box?

Also, even though the directions tell you to place the Ooma between the modem and router (if you have a separate modem and router), you can place the Ooma into the router directly and everything still works

Did you plug the phone line into an wall jack to power all phones or did you plug one phone directly into the box?

Also, even though the directions tell you to place the Ooma between the modem and router (if you have a separate modem and router), you can place the Ooma into the router directly and everything still works
I plugged it into a wall jack to power all the phones.

Right now I have it between the modem and the router. If that slows down my network, I'll plug it into the router. Thanks for the heads up.

I plugged it into a wall jack to power all the phones.

Right now I have it between the modem and the router. If that slows down my network, I'll plug it into the router. Thanks for the heads up.

You can plug it into your router and then setup QOS for the port that you plug it into so it has the biggest priority.

Seen an Ooma commercial this morning while watching "Trucks" on Spike TV. This is the first time I have ever seen them advertise. The commercial was pretty cheesy and lame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts