Best KU LNB for FTA and offset dish. Recomendations?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 13, 2004
Indiana
Re doing my motorized small dish setup. What is the "best" KU LNB out there for a small dish install? FortecStar 37"x33.5" oval offset dish with Stab HH120 motor and Openbox HD STB. Looking for a 48" dish for the new Stab, that is why the overkill of the HH120 for now on the smaller dish. Recommendations? Thanks guys.

The Titanium PLL-1KS which is a standard, linear, single output Ku band LNBF has worked great for me. I've bought several from KE4EST off Ebay.

EDIT: I'm not seeing the PLL-1KS listed now...

I found one PLL-1KS in CANADA on eBay for $19.95. I believe that is what I have now, the label has come off. I have soooo many old LNB's in boxes, tried many over the years. Part of the hobby I guess.

I'd really like to see REALISTIC Noise figures [NF]. I've got an old NRJ Ku LNB rated 7db. {DRO & NO decimal} And it works as well, Equal "Q" readings, as with a "NEW" LNBF with a published NF of .3db. ????
You'll like the PLL for those 'narrow' TP's tho----

Agreed! No way possible to have 0.3.

Where or what LNB are we seeing a noise figure of 0.3 db? Not on the 3 we are discussing?

No not on these three. Anything lower than 0.5-0.7 on the newer PLL lnb(f)s and it is a marketing lie.
Not sure which one he is talking about, but there are tons out there that have exaggerated figures.
I have saw several even advertise 0.1. :rolleyes:

I wonder what the point of the different colored dielectric is?

Marketing 101:
B) Made especially for Americas and USA markets

...but universal LO????

The orange caught my attention. Anything different than the norm suggests better or innovative. Wrap ,a new package around the old gal and it will sell. The LNB I was steering towards was the Amika because it seems to be a manufacture that has been around for a while marketed in Europe. Not a quick build Chinese knock off.

The Amiko website (from link above) actually shows 0.2 db for a noise figure; although there are other specifications showing 0.7 db, too.

Being hobbyist oriented and that my original choice is out, I'd be inclined to go with the Maverick MK1-PLL (based on PLL, single output, standard and the reputation of the retailers and price). If a dual output, PLL (and/or universal) was needed then the Amiko L203 would be a good choice (again based on reputation of the retailers and price) - just my $0.02...

Thanks for all the advice, I am leaning towards the Amiko due to the twin output. I have several STB's and have experienced they all scan and lock different transponders on the same LNB feed. Weird but not rare. Nice to have the ability to run at least two STB'S at the same time for comparison sakes.

Just for future reference for any one that is wondering. The Maverick MK1-PLL came out of the same exact mold and factory as the Titanium PLL-1KS, it just has a different name on it.
I was the one that designed the Maverick website for Dave(wallyhts). ;)
mavericksatellite.com

Reactions: Jason S
Just wish Maverick had a dual output of the same model LNB.

Just wish Maverick had a dual output of the same model LNB.
I am trying to get that to happen, if it will or not I don't know at this time.

Reactions: Indy
Then again, no big deal to share the LNB loop on the main STB. We are golden, Maverick ordered.

Just for future reference for any one that is wondering. The Maverick MK1-PLL came out of the same exact mold and factory as the Titanium PLL-1KS, it just has a different name on it.
I was the one that designed the Maverick website for Dave(wallyhts). ;)
mavericksatellite.com
I appreciate this bit of info...

Reactions: KE4EST and Indy
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts