Best LNB for old dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mandan

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Western North Carolina
Hi, I have a 10ft Unimesh dish that I am re-claiming from my old residence. It has been idle for about 7 years now. It has the older Chaparral co-rotor with c and ku lnb's. I think I should upgrade to an lnbf because I don't want the hassle of maintaning the skew motor, extra wiring etc. What would be a good replacement that would fit correctly and provide reliable service?

\\\

Do you have an analog receiver to use as a dish mover? It could also be used to select polarity if going the LNB route.

Hi mandan! Welcome to Satguys'
With all due respect to Fat Air I wouldn't recommend a WSI 741 LNBF to anyone based on my ownership experience of one. Mine had bent Ku band probes which I only found out about after I had installed it on a 10' dish 20 feet in the air. I am not the only person to have issues with LNBF's either. Very often the tweaking of the LNBF for best C-band performance results in poor Ku-band performance and vice versa. Besides I don't think WSI makes that 741 model anymore. I think it's been replaced with a 541(or some number close) model. If you are set on an LNBF check out what our site sponsor Brian @ SatelliteAV has to offer. A link to his site is on the site banner to the right of the Glorystar logo.

One idea is to keep the Co-rotor. They are reliable. If you suffer poor performance and you want to change things try some Norsat lnb's.

My general recommendation for people wishing to upgrade is to install a dedicated 39" (or larger)offset Ku-band only dish with a diseq motor and convert your BUD to C-band only with an orthomode feed with 2 Norsat LNB's. Then install a multi-switch to tie it all together.

Your mileage may vary based on your technical skill level, how much your budget is etc.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Last edited:
. . . I should upgrade to an lnbf because I don't want the hassle of maintaning the skew motor, extra wiring etc.
Mandan seems to have made the decision, and I can't argue with it. :)

LNBF or an ortho... ;)
Not a fan of corotors :(

I will be using the BUD exclusively for C band and for the time being stationary on Anik F1R. I will set it up to move later on, and I will be using a separate offset dish for KU. I need to get the dish to my property and then start the upgrade process one piece at a time.

Thanks to everyone

I will be using the BUD exclusively for C band and for the time being stationary on Anik F1R. I will set it up to move later on, and I will be using a separate offset dish for KU.
In that case, I would get a C band only LNBF.
When they were available, the dual output C2 from SatelliteAV would have been the best choice.

For now, I'd go with just about any inexpensive C only LNBF.
Then, I'd learn what an ortho feed is and keep on the lookout for one. ;)
Might take a year or two, but you'll run across a used or new ortho and pair of LNBs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)