1. Another Team Summit in the books!

Thanks to the generosity of a number of our members SatelliteGuys will be covering DISH Networks Team Summit Event from Phoenix, Arizona!

CLICK HERE for our Team Summit 2019 Coverage!

CLICK HERE to see our 2019 DISH Team Summit Recap Video! Thanks for being part of SatelliteGuys!
    CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
    Dismiss Notice

Best Long range UHF outdoor antenna

Discussion in 'Over the Air TV By RabbitEars.Info' started by dfecarter, Apr 15, 2019.

1. dfecarter

dfecarter Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

Hi am interested in opinions ...

am now considering trying reception with a Winegard HD 7698P , as my Yagi antenna, used with the Kitz 100 pre-amp. , has had a tough time locking in some chs. especially when windy (trees)
    however I am concerned about investing in a new antenna with the repack and new DTV format pending?
    Is it likely that the frequencies of the Winegard would cover the expected new channel ranges?

Have been using an HDB91X yagi style antenna with a small diopole for 1 VHF - Hi channel in my area
    tv fool - TV Fool

2. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

The Winegard and all other antennas will work the same as always. Many UHF only antennas are tuned for higher gain at higher frequencies, (above 36) which are going away. So, you might lose a little gain on those type antennas as channels move to lower frequencies. But they'll still work.

As for the Kitztech, I'm VERY partial to the KT-200-coax model. It's the perfect amp for 95% of people out there that need one. Not so much for any other versions.

3. larrykenney

larrykenney SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

I've been happy with my Antennas Direct XG-91. It works well for UHF stations that are up to 62 miles away. It is quite directional for distant stations, however, and you need to be pretty much spot on the right direction.

charlesrshell, Larry1, FTA4PA and 2 others like this.
  4. dfecarter

dfecarter Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

anybody use a
    Blonder Tongue BTY-UHF-BB??? for longer range UHF reception

5. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

Nope, not going to pay almost $400 for any antenna, sorry. The HDB91x is as good as that one if not better, and much cheaper.

6. Tower Guy

Tower Guy SatelliteGuys Pro

I have used the Blonder Tongue antenna. It’s fortè is durability.

I believe that you already have the best antenna for the UHF channels from Hartford. Do you want to try another band or another direction? There are stations from New York City and Albany that you might be able to pick up.

7. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

If you're going to drop more than $150, you might as well get a full-spectrum antenna like the Channel Master Masterpiece 100.

The HDB91x is both a blessing and a curse as it has a fairly wide beam (60 degrees). Another consideration is that its gain peaks around channel RF48-52 where the TV band will top out at RF36.

8. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

The rated gain (however conservative it may be) is only 10.2dB. You can get much higher gain numbers for a lot less (though you will sacrifice durability and possibly the narrow beamwidth). Examples are the 91XG and its somewhat less powerful knock-off, the HDB91x. Most of the 8-bay antennas have gains in the 10dB range as well.

9. Wireless Engineer

Winegard antennas are simply the best in vhf\uhf combo antennas and unlike Antennas Direc

10. Wireless Engineer

Yes,Blonder Tongue antennas are simply the best built antennas made.
    I used their cut channel yagis for master antenna systems and head ends for many years.
    You can literally stand on the booms and not bend them and they use a quad driven element so unlike consumer grade antennas they ar
    Actually, unlike AD and others,
    Actually, Both Blonder Tongue and Channel Master use a DIPOLE as their gain reference instead of the unrepeatable isotropic reference used by AD and others trying to make their gain LOOK higher.
    The BT will be over 12Dbi and the 4228 produces nearly 15Dbi peak gain.

11. Larry1

Larry1 SatelliteGuys Pro

What about raising your antenna. How high is it now?

2 edge signals are going to be hard to get reliably.

Separate names with a comma.

More...