Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
Long story short, I cracked my oil pan last night and have to repair or replace it. Since my car officially has NO OIL in it and I'll be changing it (LOL) myself, what is the best brand of oil filter in general?

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 oil.

depends on the vehicle

I use Motorcraft, but I have a Ford pickup.

I would stay away from Fram...had bad experiences with them

The Mobil 1 filters are very good. I use a K&N filter and Redline Snythetic oil in my car.

Regards

Thanks fellas ... I should have mentioned it was a VW Passat but I wanted an impartial review of the best filter, I guess K&N would be a no brainer, especially since I have the million mile warranty air filter! I did not know they did oil filters too!

Just called my Brother in Denver he is goign to pick one up for me! Thansk again fellas!

I use Purolator PureOil 1 or something like that. It's the "premium" filter sold at Advanced Auto. I stay away from Fram any more as well as the $1.99 filters. I would also recommend replacing your filter more then every million miles. :)

The oil change place (living in an apartment means no DIY oil changing) I go to uses Quaker State oil filters. I use that and Quaker State oil for my Corolla.

Back when I still had my DSM, I found this site that did an not-so-necessarily scientific but still through analysis of a bunch of different types of filters. For Fram users, you might check out this post from a Fram quality engineer.

Well guys I appreciate the help. I dropped my oil sump (lower pan) yesterday and got that bad boy put on. Proud to say there are no leaks this morning. If you need some gasket maker I got this GREAT stuff called "McKanica Formula RS" and I was able to DRIVE my car in 1 minute. Now obviously it took longer to get the pan back on but like I said, I am leak free this morning!

Couldn't dig up a K&N so I opted for the Mobil 1 filter, about as good as an K&N I hear, removes 95% of all particles down to 10 microns! that is like 15 % than a regular filter, according to Mobil. I have been using the Mobil 1 synthetic for a few years now.

Just for those of you who don't know (I didn't), I can do a full change using Mobil 1 products for $30 and about 40 minutes. Grease Monkey charges about $69 with tax and I don't even get a Mobil 1 filter ... I think I'll be doing this on my own in the future.

slacker9876 said:
If you need some gasket maker I got this GREAT stuff called "McKanica Formula RS" and I was able to DRIVE my car in 1 minute. Now obviously it took longer to get the pan back on but like I said, I am leak free this morning.
Where did you find this stuff? Sounds like some stuff to "have around for emergencys". On a related note, I think I will change oil in 1 truck, 2 generators and my lawn tractor today...

My dad (owns a fastener company) sent it up to me. He sells a lot of automotive and like this better than Permatex which he has sold for like 20 years. The coolest thing is it is in a aerosol can and has on finger application!

You can see it here. It is on the second page. My connection to their website was refused ... kind of odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts