Best Old Hd Dvr

Lj009

Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Hi Guys and Gals.
I'm looking to purchase a older HD DVR like the 942 or 921 ect. At this time I do not have the need of Dish network HD programing what they have that interests me is not worth the bucks and I receive a great signal OTA on the major networks. Dish has told me there are charges if I buy the 622 and not get the programing.So I want an older unit, What I need to know is which unit would be most dependable as a whole ,Where can I get one and what would I do if repairs are needed?Who would fix it? Thanks if anyone can help. Jack

I suggest you avoid the 921. The 942 is good.

But why not get a 5xx series or the 721? There's a 721 for sale right now at this site. No DVR fee. These won't pick up or record OTA HD, but you might be ahead to get one of these, and a separate OTA HD DVR.

Here's one 942 for sale here.

Nobody sells new standalone hd dvr's right now, other than computer based systems. However I do love my old sony dhg hdd 250 standalone hd dvr. Free OTA guide and no dvr fees.

Are you saying the SD out from the 721 is any different than the SD out from a ViP622, 942 or 921? He's no doubt feeding his HDTV with SD from a DVD player, anyway.

No, I was referring to some HD tv's not handling the sd inputs (s-video, composites, rf) very well (which is why I like to stay away from mentioning them). I had a 501 for many years myself. These tv's usually handle the sd fine using components and HDMI inputs. Since the op was asking about the 942/921 units, I thought it best if he stay along that line.

I just upgraded a 721 to a 622. Was having all sorts of reboot problems on the 721 within the last few months. Before then, everything worked fine for over 3 years. My 501 right now is working great. Don't know about other 721 owners out there but would recommend staying away from 721 (possible software bug).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)