Best omni for roof top?

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
I've been trying to get the local HD signals ota with a Radio Shack amplified omni antenna (flying saucer type). In spite of what" TV fool" says, things are iffy at best with an attic mount with even the most mild rain causing all channels to break up to un-viewability.

Am I apt to do better with a different amp or a better antenna or what? I'd really like to avoid putting up a rotor if I can. Thanks for the ideas.

Your information is a little sketchy but here is my guess. Your located in Bainbridge Wa. using a Radio Shack 15-1634 omni VHF/UHF amplified antenna. From TV fool most of your "LOCAL" broadcasts are from 95-110 degrees and less than 20 miles distant. Your 1 kicker seems to be FOX 13.1 almost 180 degrees the opposite direction and about 30 miles away.
Radio Shack rates their antenna for 30-35 miles over flat open terrain and usually is overly generous in their ratings so you may be asking more than it can deliver. If Radio Shack is a convient shopping location I would suggest trying their 15-2152 VU90 antenna aimed at the 95-110 area and see in you can pick up FOX off the back side of the antenna without needing a rotor. You may need to play with the aim a little to get all to come in but the greatest worry is too much signal on your closest broadcaster, you may get multipath where one reflected signal kills other signals from the same station. Your question was rooftop mounting and I question wether this is the best time of year for Wa. rooftops.

More info, should have said in the first place

Thanks boba, good guess on the antenna, I should have spec'ed it.

As for my signal troubles, it is mostly based, I think, on terrain and trees. I am on the west side of a ridge line that blocks my view of all of the Seattle transmitters. I am also surrounded (340 deg - 210 deg) by tall evergreens (hey, it IS Washington State).

When I looked on Antenna Web, it had predictions that seemed to better fit my experience, i.e. I'm screwed when it comes to omnis.

I tried the RS antenna first because I could get it cheap and move it around in the attic. I'm open to most any manufacturer if it gets the job done.

Finally, I wasn't exactly figuring on running up to the roof any time soon to do an install but just wanted to start figuring out my next steps for when weather would permit me to make the changes.

The specific address is:
10129 NE Kitsap Street

Thanks for your help.

Check out SolidSignal . com . I recently purchased the Antennas Direct Clear Stream 4 and with it just sitting up in the attic, I get great reception about 18 miles from the nearest transmitter. They have many brands, options, and good prices (as far as I could find). And a good help section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)