BEST OTA Antenna in Geneva, IL (Chicago)

sshams95

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Hello, I'm a new to this forum. I currently have a HD OTA Antenna bought from DTV, I am unaware of model but I would say it has a medium range. I live about 40 miles west of Chicago. I can get most channels except CBS and ABC & FOX scrambles from time to time.

I want a larger range antenna that will get all the channels in HD without problems? Can someone recommend the best antenna? Also, I have a pretty large size attic....will these antennas get good reception if installed in the attic?

I appreciate any help anyone could provide.
Thanks.

I would suggest the Winegard HD8200P or channel master cm 3671 with a cm 7777 preamp on a rotor. You will need a UHF/VHF antenna because chicago ch3 digital transmits on vhf and of of higher gain because of your distance from the towers. Mount the antenna as high as you can and use RG6 dual shield coax. You can try with and without the preamp and see which works best.
A longer antenna will improve reception on the low vhf channels. Channel 3 will be a challenge.
Rick

Last edited:
Another way to go might be to use 2 antennas:

1. A Channel Master 4228 for UHF

2. A Wade single channel yagi cut to channel 3 (http://www.wade-antenna.com/cutchannel.htm)

Then combine these with a Channel Master 7777.

Be aware that the single channel yagi for channel 3 can be over 15 ft long. But you will lock that sucker up tight on channel 3.

sshams95 said:
Hello, I'm a new to this forum. I currently have a HD OTA Antenna bought from DTV, I am unaware of model but I would say it has a medium range. I live about 40 miles west of Chicago. I can get most channels except CBS and ABC & FOX scrambles from time to time.
I want a larger range antenna that will get all the channels in HD without problems? Can someone recommend the best antenna? Also, I have a pretty large size attic....will these antennas get good reception if installed in the attic?
I appreciate any help anyone could provide.
Thanks.
You need to get it out of the attic..... No need to worry about your HOA...

OTA Antenna for Geneva , IL

The antenna to use would be a Winegard HD8200P, the sucker is huge but it will work great, dont forget the preamp especailly for Wbbm DT3 2.1 CBS.

Ron Kelley of Morris antenna service in montgomery would be the guy to get to install that baby.

The latest word I've seen on WBBM-DT is that they are trying to move to channel 11 in 2009.

Keep this in mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)