Best OTA solution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

the_Drake

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Hey. I am in need of local HD's. My locals are broadcast from about 45 miles away, so I need to know what the best solution for antennas would be. I cannot mount a behemoth, I am renting, so something small that I could mount perhaps next to the dish on the roof. Thanks!!

Hey. I am in need of local HD's. My locals are broadcast from about 45 miles away, so I need to know what the best solution for antennas would be. I cannot mount a behemoth, I am renting, so something small that I could mount perhaps next to the dish on the roof. Thanks!!

Can you mount a Non Behemoth OTA antenna ?
You really don't need a large antenna for only 45 miles away.

Charper has good opinions on them, I would tell you,but I cannot remember the model number he normally mentions, it might have been 4228, it's a UHF only, used for digital (HD) channels only, no analog. (which people won't be needing soon anyways (analog, that is)).
I think it's a Channel Master 4228.
This comes as a highly reccomended antenna.

Jimbo

The CM4228 works great for analog too...since there isn't such a beast that only picks up digital OTA stations.

The CM4228 also works fine for strong VHF-Hi band stations too.

The CM4228 works great for analog too...since there isn't such a beast that only picks up digital OTA stations.

The CM4228 also works fine for strong VHF-Hi band stations too.

All true. I am using a Channel Master 4228 and it works great for UHF and high band VHF. the_Drake, what is your zip code? Check this website for further information: AntennaWeb

I'm thinking of this very thing, at the moment. I'm in the Grand Rapids area of MI, and not getting my locals in HD is a nasty thing, after having them with Comcast for years now. And, worst of all, Dish doesn't even have one major local channel in it's "locals", that televizes Piston and Tiger games. So, I guess I have no choice, but to seek an alternative.

So, I used the AntennaWeb link, and I gotta admit, it's a bit perplexing. I spotted a few CraigsList ads for indoor HD antennas. One TERK and one Phillips. I assume these are not what I want, being some of the stations I'd need are in the green color code area? AND, worst of all, the aforementioned local that Dish doesn't carry, WXSP, is in the purple color. I don't get that. It's very close, but it's in the farthest range.

The most confusing element is that it's saying I'd need some super duper, amplified rooftop antenna. Firstly, that's not going to happen on my roof. It is WAY up there. The attic is a possibility. Wiring it through there is another matter........ But, anyhow, I believe it also says that I shouldn't use this antenna for the stations that don't need it? Oversignal, or some such thing. Is that saying I'd need multiple antenna setups? Seems crazy, but that's how I read it. Makes sense I guess, as I know if your CATV signal is too strong, it messes up your picture, too.

Anyhow, any pointers? My zip is 49301.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)