Best reading for satellite-newbie?

kil

Original poster
May 31, 2006
Coming back from the dark side (Comcast) and moving into the satellite arena. I've been trying to chase enough reading material down to make a somewhat (I urnt 2 smart) educated decision on which set-up to use. I would appreciate any input/direction in trying to decide between Direct and Dish, then, more importantly, which equipment to purchase/rent. Alot of discussion of OTA/DVR's/antennas that can be somewhat overwhelming for a Kentucky graduate.

I currently own an overhead HD LCD projector showing at "95 and just purchased the Sony Bravia 40" LCD. I will be upgrading the overhead to a higer-end DLP shortly and adding a 50+" plasma within the coming year so I don't wish to sell the equipment short by going cheap on the signals. I plan on using HD-DVR in at least one room, if not two, with a total of 3 rooms being HD capable.

I reside in the Seattle region and have most options available to me. Any articles/threads/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would consider DirecTV over Dish. Although most satellite providers will have their drawbacks, DirecTV offers a greater variety of programming and is considered to be used by most of the satellite subscribers out there. Coming from the world of the "big dish", it's the best that I can find in the world of satellite services.

DirecTV offers a greater variety of programming and is considered to be used by most of the satellite subscribers out there.

heh?
14 million for Direct to 12 million for Dish.....so I dont thinkn "most" use Directv

For the OP...just check out both Dish & Direct forums here and see the differences and make the best decision for you

I am brand new to this also - but I have been doing my homework the past few days.

What I have already found out is - if you are into professional sports your choice has to be DIRECTV, the other one doesn't offer a football or a basball package.

DISH has a nice package of hi-def channels I never heard of before, and you can't get them on the other satellite. Looks like some movies and stuff like that mostly.

90% of it is identical.

I'm signing up today, and I prefer the sports over those movie thingys so I am going with DIRECTV. They also can get me a discount on my new HDTV because I am going to sign up for DIRECTV - and its $300 bucks - that's darn nice.

Yeah, I've long been looking for quality reading material: books, magazines, etc but by far the best information is right here and there's plenty of it!

More

Thanks for the responses. I will try the forums as suggested and hope they do the job. I am gong to assume that in those forums I can get some good advice on which pieces of equipment to look at prior to purchase. I am hearing there is quite a choice in antenna's and DVR's?
Thanks again,
Kil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts