Best set up suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gebo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I have 2 hd tv and 1 sd tv. Must have dvr and hd on both hd TVs. The sd is just a bathroom-makeup tv only watched 1 hour for news in morning. I've studied 922, 722, 612, 211 etc til I am blue in the face. What would be your set up? I love the interface of the 922 but everyone seems so down on it's sling. I've got to get it ordered on Monday so let me know what you think...

You will probably get a lot of replies on this and they will have a lot of good suggestions. I would recommend getting the VIP722 with the sling adapter under the rebate promotion. This will run One HD & One SD TV, I would recommend that you get the VIP612 for the second HD TV, it will be $3.00 a month more expensive then doing a VIP211 but you will be able to put external hard drives on both units and swap them between units. Good Luck and if you ever have any questions or concerns, remember DIRT is here for you!!

You will probably get a lot of replies on this and they will have a lot of good suggestions. I would recommend getting the VIP722 with the sling adapter under the rebate promotion. This will run One HD & One SD TV, I would recommend that you get the VIP612 for the second HD TV, it will be $3.00 a month more expensive then doing a VIP211 but you will be able to put external hard drives on both units and swap them between units. Good Luck and if you ever have any questions or concerns, remember DIRT is here for you!!
The 612 is also a dual tuner but only has a single output.

I say get either 2 722's and leave one in single mode as its going to charge you the same monthly fee as a 612 should if im not mistaken, or if you are willing to pony up for an external hard drive get 1 722 and get a 211 and throw a ext-hd on it. Stay away from the 612 its garbage IMO for what you are looking for, has a much smaller hard drive (HD) than the 722's do and is a POS IMO. Using a 211 will save you $$ each month vs. a 722 for lease fees so thats one advantage. If I were you I would just pony up and get 2 722's and call it a day.

The additional 722 is $17/mo, the 612 is $10/mo, the 211 is $7/mo. With the 211 you will not have the dual sat tuner dvr options with the EHD.

I would get as suggested. One VIP722K Has one HD out put and one SD. Dual tuner DVR. Request a sling adapter should still have that promo going and yes it is a problem for some but why not play with it. If you have OTA request a OTA module for the 722k. Also the VIP211 is you signal HD option can add a EHD and move it from receiver to receiver if you want. This setup gives you what you asked for. Also sling adapter could go on the Bedroom receiver least used no conflicts. IMO Peace

You cannot inter change an ehd between a 722 and a 211. Different formats.
Here's my suggestion. It's basically the way I have set my system up. A 722 and a 211. Both have ehd's. It will cost a 1 time fee of $40 for the 211. 722 in the living room. 211 in the bedroom. Both connected via hdmi. Use the home distribution output from the 722 and split it to the bathroom and the coax input in the bedroom. This gives you the option in the bedroom to watch in HD from the 211 or by switching the input, anything recorded on the 722 in SD. If you get a k series, get the ota modules.

Reguarding EHD.

You cannot inter change an ehd between a 722 and a 211. Different formats.
Here's my suggestion. It's basically the way I have set my system up. A 722 and a 211. Both have ehd's. It will cost a 1 time fee of $40 for the 211. 722 in the living room. 211 in the bedroom. Both connected via hdmi. Use the home distribution output from the 722 and split it to the bathroom and the coax input in the bedroom. This gives you the option in the bedroom to watch in HD from the 211 or by switching the input, anything recorded on the 722 in SD. If you get a k series, get the ota modules.

Sorry my bad. dwarren2 is correct.

So far it is a 722 main receiver and either a 211 or a 612 as second receiver. 211 Saves $3/mo. and a 1 time fee of $40 if you add a hard drive that you also have to buy. 612 Coxts $36 a year ($3x12) more than the 211 but has a second tuner and a hard drive. An external hard drive can be swapped between 722 and 612 to move programming from one receiver to the other can't be done with 211.

Well, DirecTV made their last offer to get me to stay. One month free and a $200 credit on my account. It amazes me how some companies will treat you bad until you threaten to quit and then offer you the "moon". Long story....

I started with DISH and only left because I could never speak to someone in CS who spoke English I could understand. Apparently, that has been resolved. I'm going with a local long time installer who has recommended a 722 and a 612. He's a great guy and I'm gonna show him what you guys/gals have said. RIght now with DirecTV I can watch one show and record 2 others. Am I right that DISH does not work the same? Also, all of you are talking about EHD's. What size do you normally get? Also, do I understand you that I can only swap EHD's between the 722's and 612's? Can't be done with a 211, right?

To help you understand my setup. Our big screen HD is downstairs and our regular screen HD is upstairs in living room right above the big screen. The SD is in the bathroom on upstairs level.

Thanks, Gary

You can swap Hard drives on a 211 but to only the 211's on the account. So if you have one 211 all you can do is switch out hard drives (if one gets full and you dont want to delete anything)

Another question, how do I know I am getting the "best" dish setup? I live in VA. 24151

You can swap Hard drives on a 211 but to only the 211's on the account. So if you have one 211 all you can do is switch out hard drives (if one gets full and you dont want to delete anything)

THANKS!

Another question, how do I know I am getting the "best" dish setup? I live in VA. 24151

The zip you posted looks like you would get Roanoke locals. You would be set up with a Dish 1000.2 that sees 110,119,129. Your HD locals (and most other HD) is on 129
110 & 119 would be for the channels not carried in HD

With the 722 you can record 2 Dish feeds and 1 ota feed at the same time and watch something already prerecorded. If you get a k model with the ota module, I think you can record 2 ota shows in addition to thee 2 Dish feeds. The ehd on the 722 gives you the option of moving previously recorded programs off the internal drive of the 722. This has been a boon when my 722 started to die. I was able to move almost all the programs to the ehd. The k model also allows you to store your timers on the remote. Also, the 612/722 allows you to move the ehd between the receivers, I think Correct about the 211 ehd. Currently the max sized of an ehd is 2 tb.

A little trick is that if you wqant to watch something that is being recorded to TV2 tuner while something else is being recorded to the TV1 tuner, you just wait a few seconds and then use the dvr function to play it back from the beginning.

The zip you posted looks like you would get Roanoke locals. You would be set up with a Dish 1000.2 that sees 110,119,129. Your HD locals (and most other HD) is on 129
110 & 119 would be for the channels not carried in HD
A little surprising Dish didn't put the locals on EA, but then again this is Dish so anything's possible. I hope the OP won't have any problems with getting 129

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)