Best setting with Samsung DLP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hunters

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
What setting on the VOOM box should I use for output with my Samsung DLP? The tv is 720p native. Should I choose 720p, 1080i, or native out from VOOM? Should I change it depending on what I am watching?

I have my stb set to 1080i and let my tv convert down to 720p. If you are using component cables be sure to use either component input 2 or 3. Also I don't change the modes either.

I'm using DVI cable. Did you choose 1080i because the tv does a better job of conversion?

Would the Voom box outputting at native be an even better choice? I am not really clear on this concept.

If you have the STB set at 1080i and are watching 720p programming (such as ESPN or ABC), wouldn't you be watching content that is converted twice, first from 720p to 1080i, then from 1080i back to 720p? Wouldn't native mode be a better choice?

I was thinking the same dmm. Thought I was getting lost on all this. Seems that i will just have to fiddle with the settings and see what works as nobody had a definitive answer.

the only downside of keeping it in native, is the program guide when watching SD channels will be stuck at 480i, so it's readability suffers. I keep mine at 720p and am quite happy with the result.

I keep the VOOM STB at 1080i with my Sammy DLP which yields a great PQ. When set to native I get stretching on SD channels which I find objectionable. Even though I have the VOOM STB set to use pillarbox and letterbox these setting don't seem to have any effect on SD channels when the box is set to output in native mode. When my VOOM box is set to 720P I get a 1" black border on the sides and a 1/2" border on top and bottom. At 1080i I get a full screen with no detectable overscan. Even if there are several conversions going on when a channel broadcasts in 720P I can't tell if the picture quality is somehow suffering if I set the box to 1080i.

Supposedly VOOM switched the resolution of the Cinema 10 channels from 1080i to 720P back to 1080i over the past few months and I couldn't tell the difference one way or the other and as evidenced by the unusual lack of outrage and whining very few here noticed it either.