Best value for PVR with atsc tuner? (+ basic q)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nakedgord

Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
home
I was looking at the SonicView HD8000 which brought me here through google but was scared off by the PSU issues.

Although I may play with FTA at some point (esp if there are still birds carrying a free signal of the major nets and RTN/RTV) my main interest in it is as a PVR for atsc OTA programming.

Ideally I was wondering if there were any units that have a rep for great build quality and warranty service for new or if there are any models out there that don't work anymore for the darkside of FTA that could be picked up on the cheap used that has good build quality and that could be reflashed to a stock firmware to be used as legit FTA again.

Also what format do these record in?Can I attach the HDD to a PC and burn it to disc to save and play it back in a standard PC format?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers!

You could just throw a ATSC tuner in your PC and hook it to your TV....then use either windows media center or some other apps such as GBPVR(great for OTA PVR).

I've wondered the same, and asked question here at least once.

There was an FTA receiver that sucked for real satellite use, but had an ATSC tuner and recording capability.
I asked if it might make a good OTA PVR.
The problem with it, and all others I've seen (*) is . . . no useful Guide.
And let's face it, spending money on a recorder with no guide is just stoooopid! - :rolleyes:

I truly hate the idea of using a computer for a PVR, and so far have resisted using any around here for that purpose.
However, with a computer, there are a number of software solutions, and you do NOT have to use Micro$oft MCS or whatever it's called, to get the job done.

* Yea, there is one decent PVR with a guide.
But, I'm not sure if there is any way to get the digital recording out of it, and so cannot recommend the DishNetwork OTA PVR.
...well, their site is down, and I can't wait for the Sears site to respond, so you're on your own. :)

I love the ATSC (Hottest receiver I have found to date) receiver in the Pansat 9200 HD, the problem is the DVR function leaves a lot to be desired.

If you do not mind tinkering it might be a viable option for you. I regularly record LOST on ABC which is in HD.

* Yea, there is one decent PVR with a guide.
But, I'm not sure if there is any way to get the digital recording out of it, and so cannot recommend the DishNetwork OTA PVR.
...well, their site is down, and I can't wait for the Sears site to respond, so you're on your own. :)

Unless you're determined to keep the programs recorded on a dvd the DTVPalDVR is awesome
I have one and loooove it

-first off its HD so its not like them converter boxes that dont do HD
-record 2 shows at once and watch a prerecorded 3rd if you want
-software upgradable by Ethernet/usb or in some markets OTA
-HDMI/Component/composite/Rf outputs
-dolby surround sound
-7 day guide

the few times I wanted to keep a program from a secondary PBS channel I just copied it to a DVD recorder (the channel is SD anyways) ;)

Unless you're determined to keep the programs recorded on a dvd the DTVPalDVR is awesome
I have one and loooove it
Well, I mentioned it 'cause it was the best available choice I knew of! - :up
However, the OP requested computer access to the video.
And, that's a requirement for me, too.
I used to edit and make DVDs for every F1 race up 'until a few years ago.

Talk to Linuxman some time about the DVDs he makes from HD OTA recordings with his computer!
They play back in outstanding quality, after compressing, ...
... and can be stored and played back in full quality if only moderately compressed.
The range of solutions available with the computer are considerable. - :cool:

Glad to hear you've got one - please do a current review with their latest firmware.
...or maybe you did, just over in the appropriate department. - ;)

Oh, and lest I forget, a word to the OP -
Take a look a the now-discontinued Coolsat 8100 and see if it might be at all acceptable.
I don't think so, but heck, if I found one for $50, I'd sure get it and try it! - :up
That's an HD FTA STB with ATSC OTA. - :rolleyes:

If the SV 8000 records TS file formats which I believe it does and uses FAT32, then yes you can view and burn to DVD with your PC. Windows Media Player Classic is a free download (a stand alone utility) and plays almost anything including TS files straight off the PVR HDD, then you can burn them to DVD with ConvertXtoDVD program or equivilent. Very simple and easy to do.

I love the ATSC (Hottest receiver I have found to date) receiver in the Pansat 9200 HD, the problem is the DVR function leaves a lot to be desired.

If you do not mind tinkering it might be a viable option for you. I regularly record LOST on ABC which is in HD.

I agree with the PVR issues IF you haven't provided a system cooling solution but after I did as most of you remember, I have very good luck using mine and the one issue that I noted is a common issue with many brands. The issue is that they can't record any scheduled timer events without a populated EPG which we don't have with TRUE FTA, I read that the 9200 PVR was designed to work with Dish Network, BEV or any subscription service that provides EPG data. Hmmm??? This makes one wonder... Also I have heard that they will work with OTA channels with EPG data.

However, the OP requested computer access to the video.
that is why I started my post with if recording to a DVD was a requirement...

Glad to hear you've got one - please do a current review with their latest firmware.
...or maybe you did, just over in the appropriate department.

there really isnt a reason to do a "review" per se. Its been out on the market for 2 years now and there really isnt much to a review other than the points I made on the features. Plus there are reviews out there

It has a USB option but I havent figured out if an external drive would work (like some of the Dish receivers do) to record to instead of the internal drive.

For me it works way better than the converter box (and the picture is better than Directv's locals)

I was looking at the SonicView HD8000 which brought me here through google but was scared off by the PSU issues.
The Cap problem was prevalent in first production runs of SV8000HD, and after big warranty return losses was fixed. If you pickup your SW8K now, its already passed the Caps test many times over. Besides, its easy to fix for a DIY type guy. With current prices SV8000HD looks like a good choice to me. ;)

Thanks for all the input guys! I have heard of the Dtvpal dvr and it's Channel Master cousin however it's 30 day warranty kinda scared me off and if there was a good FTA pvr with ATSC I figured I might as well get that to have part of the gear in case I played with FTA in the future.

Re: the SV 8000...I dunno...unless there was a clear way to tell the old batches from the new ones with the fixed PSU issues I'd still be leery.

Esp since as far as a tech guy I'm about at the level of putting a HDD into an enclosure lol.

^
Thanks for clarifying on the warranty.

Regarding the EPG it'd certainly be nice but I'd be more into being able to offload the recordings to disc in HD. I'm using a DVD recorder with HDD and atsc tuner now that downconverts the image w/o the EPG and it is doable using the listing from Zap2it.

Most units didn't have a working EPG for ATSC.

I remember the Coolsat 8100 HD being discussed and tested by Iceberg, and he mentioned that the very first version of firmware offered by Coolsat was for the OTA system only, and the EPG functioned properly. (NO SATELLITE FUNCTIONS!)

If you get completely desperate for an EPG, I guess you could downgrade the 8100 to that original firmware for the EPG functionality.

Correct me if I'm wrong Ice, but wouldn't that work?

It was the 8000 not the 8100 ;)

There was no version of the original (OTA only) ever made. It was in the receiver when the 1st shipment was sent out and there was (hackware) of the software with both OTA & Sat to load into it so I never saw any OTA only software out there

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)