Best way to add DirecTV to existing cable/broadband

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IDiggity

Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Middle TN
Hi all,

I apologize if this question has been answered before - I gave a cursory search before posting.

I currently have cable tv/broadband, but I'm self-installing DirecTV, as well. I want to have both signal options available in the house. Most of my rooms will stay with just cable for now, but I will have one TV that I want to to connect to both cable and the DirecTV HD-DVR (HR21).

This is how the cable/broadband signal enters my house now:
Cable_BB_existing.jpg

What's the best way to achieve the setup I describe above?

All suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Aside from the concerns about the B-Band Converters (BBCs) being outdoors, would this work?
Cable-Sat proposed.jpg

Whoops, forgot to draw a SAT-splitter between the diplexer and the HR21 box.

Why ARE you running the sat stuff thru a multi-switch - that will NOT allow you to run both tuners on 1 coax wire. (I assume that's what you are attempting to do :confused: :confused: ) Also, there are only a couple of MS's that are compatible w/HD signals on DirecTV; & none of them will diplex w/other (cable) signals.

And unless you are planning to go SWM, you do realize that if you want both tuners to work, you MUST use 2 coax runs from the dish to the receiver; there is NO other way around it. (you also do NOT need the BBC's if you go SWM, either) So even if you end up diplexing 1 of the coax runs (I think you are mixing up diplexing with multi-switches...) you're still going to need another one - unless you are planning on only having 1 tuner work.

If you do go SWM, you could then possibly use a diplexer on the 1 coax run to your TV; note that only a couple made will work w/SWM properly. It may cause issues with your cable/BB signal, depending on what freqs your local system uses.

You're going to find that in the long run, it would be MUCH easier to just run 2 new coax's from the dish & be done with it... ;) ;)

IF your needing a MS , the WB68 is the only one that is used with D* services that deal with HD signals as of now.

I also would see if you have a way to run coax to the TV you want, that way your not mixing signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts