Best way to add DirecTV to existing cable/broadband

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IDiggity

Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Middle TN
Hi all,

I apologize if this question has been answered before - I gave a cursory search before posting.

I currently have cable tv/broadband, but I'm self-installing DirecTV, as well. I want to have both signal options available in the house. Most of my rooms will stay with just cable for now, but I will have one TV that I want to to connect to both cable and the DirecTV HD-DVR (HR21).

This is how the cable/broadband signal enters my house now:
Cable_BB_existing.jpg

What's the best way to achieve the setup I describe above?

All suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Aside from the concerns about the B-Band Converters (BBCs) being outdoors, would this work?
Cable-Sat proposed.jpg

Whoops, forgot to draw a SAT-splitter between the diplexer and the HR21 box.

Why ARE you running the sat stuff thru a multi-switch - that will NOT allow you to run both tuners on 1 coax wire. (I assume that's what you are attempting to do :confused: :confused: ) Also, there are only a couple of MS's that are compatible w/HD signals on DirecTV; & none of them will diplex w/other (cable) signals.

And unless you are planning to go SWM, you do realize that if you want both tuners to work, you MUST use 2 coax runs from the dish to the receiver; there is NO other way around it. (you also do NOT need the BBC's if you go SWM, either) So even if you end up diplexing 1 of the coax runs (I think you are mixing up diplexing with multi-switches...) you're still going to need another one - unless you are planning on only having 1 tuner work.

If you do go SWM, you could then possibly use a diplexer on the 1 coax run to your TV; note that only a couple made will work w/SWM properly. It may cause issues with your cable/BB signal, depending on what freqs your local system uses.

You're going to find that in the long run, it would be MUCH easier to just run 2 new coax's from the dish & be done with it... ;) ;)

IF your needing a MS , the WB68 is the only one that is used with D* services that deal with HD signals as of now.

I also would see if you have a way to run coax to the TV you want, that way your not mixing signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)