Best way to get apartment reception?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I just recently moved into a second floor (out of three) apartment, facing the north. I'm in a small town (Lafayette, IN) and XM has no repeaters here. Needless to say, my little 'home kit' for the Roady2 gets zero signal anywhere on my balcony.

What are my options as far as reception? My complex is strict about the "nothing outside your balcony" rule as far as antennas for D* or E* reception goes. Are there any higher gain antennas I can try, or is there anyway I can convince my apartment complex to legally allow me to move a xm micro antenna someplace where I can get reception?

Thanks Satelliteguys. You guys all rock.

I'm in an apartment too. You need a SW exposure for the XM antenna. I had to run my antenna behind the baseboard heat and have it pointing out a window in a different room. The wire isn't seen and I have full signal. You may want to try this first. It's probably quicker and easier than getting permission from your apartment building to run wires and get into a complicated install.

Appreciate the help guys...the streaming one doesn't get me all the channels I like to listen to.... and I don't know the neighbors well enough yet for them to let me put a mysterious box in their apartment facing the window :)

What about options for a higher gain antenna? If I move my home kit antenna around, I can get a hint of an signal on my balcony, but it isn't stable at all.

What about if I throw a micro antenna on the roof?? Think anybody would notice ;)

Dude, get a home kit with the 50 foot antennae line and all you have to do is place the antennae up on the roof, the line for the module is not huge and if you go down and talk to the people responsible such as the property manager and the head of maintanance and show them how thin the wire is you stand a good chance of them working with you to get the module up on the roof. The wire is thin enough that it can be easily hidden in a wall seam, behind a down spout or along some trim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)