Best way to hook my 722 up to the internet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I want to hook my dish up online. What can you do with the Dish online anyway? Anyway, what's the best way to do this? My router is upstairs so I can't easily run a cable to it. Is there anyway to do this wireless? I have a computer in the same room but it's using a wireless card.

I want to hook my dish up online. What can you do with the Dish online anyway? Anyway, what's the best way to do this? My router is upstairs so I can't easily run a cable to it. Is there anyway to do this wireless? I have a computer in the same room but it's using a wireless card.
I don't have DISH online so I really cannot comment too much on that but, from what I know it allows you to schedule recordings over the internet and I think stream video to a wireless device, such as a cellphone but, don't quote me on that...lol

You need a wireless ethernet bridge - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WET11-Wireless-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B000066JQU"]Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge:?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TWZQJ7GDL.@@AMEPARAM@@31TWZQJ7GDL[/ame]

I bought a Netgear XE 104 pair off ebay and love it. Have one plugged in at the router, and use the other one plugged in behind my tv. It gives HSI to my 722k, my slingbox and my blu-ray player.

I use an Asus WL-330gE on my AV cabinet connected to an ethernet switch. This allows to connect several devices in my cabinet to the internet.

Some of the things this allows on the 722:

- Remote management of the DVR (Sling)
- Negating the need for a phone line (for PPV and avoiding the monthly fee)
- Downloading of over-the-wire programming (most costs money, but some is free and some of that is actually occasionally interesting, although most of that is usually in SD and not HD). This is separate from the on-demand programming which is limited, comes in over satellite and is stored automatically on the hard drive at all times for the off-chance that you're willing to pay for it.

Gaming adapters are the easiest wireless way to connect, but they cost upwards of $80. For about $20 you can find a wireless access point (AKA: Bridge) that requires a little bit of programming.

The 722 comes preloaded with Home Plug that networks via your house wiring. It does not work if you use a surge protector or UPS. If you plug your 722 directly to a wall socket, then it is an option. You would only need a Home Plug adapter that ecost sells for $10 plus delivery.

I would not be comfortable plugging my 722 directly into a wall without a surge-suppressor. I see too many electronic devices killed each year due to surges (storms, etc).

Gaming adapters are the easiest wireless way to connect, but they cost upwards of $80. For about $20 you can find a wireless access point (AKA: Bridge) that requires a little bit of programming.

The 722 comes preloaded with Home Plug that networks via your house wiring. It does not work if you use a surge protector or UPS. If you plug your 722 directly to a wall socket, then it is an option. You would only need a Home Plug adapter that ecost sells for $10 plus delivery.

there are some surge protectors that pass the homeplug signal.

What I use

I use a router configured with dd-wrt software. It allows you to take certain brand of wireless routers and turn them into wireless access points (IE plug an ethernet cable from your set-top box to the router and then the router connects to your home wifi network.)

Google dd-wrt and you will find all kinds of info. I recommend the Lynksys WRGT54G which you can find for about $20 online. While you don't need to be a programmer to figure it out, there are a few steps and some knowledge of IP addresses and networking is needed.

If that isn't up your alley, then you can purchase a wireless access point / wireless bridge from a store (overpriced) or online. Typically they are marketed towards people with PS3 or Xbox's that want to connect them to the net wireless.

I use the remote access feature all the time. It is designed so that you can set timers from anywhere in the world. However I use it more to manage my timers. It is a lot easier to add/delete/resolve conflicts etc from a computer than via the remote. I can also set timers from my Blackberry and from my wife's iPhone.

I would not be comfortable plugging my 722 directly into a wall without a surge-suppressor. I see too many electronic devices killed each year due to surges (storms, etc).

True, although if you have a "whole-house" protector it's not a problem.

If the OP doesn't mind bypassing the built-in homeplug then the solution would be to get a separate homeplug setup (I have a NetGear for my 622). He can then keep the 722 plugged into a surge protector and just put the homeplug directly in the wall. I have my whole house hardwired for ethernet EXCEPT in the bedroom where the 622 is and I also have a wireless AP but I eschewed that for the Netgear setup and I LOVE it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)