Best way to leave Dish?

Brodieb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Maryville, MO
I have been a long time Dish customer, but with my contact about to expire in a few months I think it is time to cut the cord and go to streaming only. The lack of new hardware since the H3 and rising costs have resulted in paying more and getting the same or less.Is there a preffered way to end service? I want to make sure I get all leased equiptment back and leave my account in good standing.

I have been a long time Dish customer, but with my contact about to expire in a few months I think it is time to cut the cord and go to streaming only. The lack of new hardware since the H3 and rising costs have resulted in paying more and getting the same or less.Is there a preffered way to end service? I want to make sure I get all leased equiptment back and leave my account in good standing.
Well, the best ways to call Dish and let them know you wanna leave so they can process that and send you packaging to ship your equipment back but to say there’s no new hardware since to hopper three is completely not true. Unless you don’t follow this site at all, as of today there is exciting new hardware available which gives you the ability to stream anything you’d like by updating the hopper software to android TV, including new Joeys and wireless Joeys that are 4K

Reactions: charlesrshell
What more could you possibly want out of the H3?
Non-sluggish performance, a smaller form factor, lower cost to have on my account, actual 4k programming, I could go on.

As for new hardware, I basically mean a new Hopper - the Joey's and Android TV add-ons are fine but they are not able to replace my many years old Hopper as the main way to watch Dish. Even aside from the aging hardware, I pay $140 per month and barely watch Dish these days so for me it is time to move on.

I have been a long time Dish customer, but with my contact about to expire in a few months I think it is time to cut the cord and go to streaming only. The lack of new hardware since the H3...
Lack of new hardware? The Hopper 3 is the pinnacle of receivers. Shy of being exclusively 4K, there is little else that Dish can offer tech wise!
...and rising costs have resulted in paying more and getting the same or less.
That is definitely true! BUT, if you go with a streaming service with the channels, the cost savings likely won't exist.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Lack of new hardware? The Hopper 3 is the pinnacle of receivers. Shy of being exclusively 4K, there is little else that Dish can offer tech wise!

That is definitely true! BUT, if you go with a streaming service with the channels, the cost savings likely won't exist.
The biggest savings with OTT Services is no fees.

The best savings is with streaming services like Hulu, Paramount and the likes.

You would get the majority of content on Live TV before/same day/day after plus the exclusive stuff and still even be less then YTTV.

Even aside from the aging hardware, I pay $140 per month and barely watch Dish these days so for me it is time to move on.
I suggest going on DISH Pause, keep all of your equipment in place, and try the streaming service route to see if you like it. It's only $5 a month for Pause and you can go as long as 9 months on it and come back to what you currently have at any time.

If the grass isn't greener there, you can always look at scaling back programming or seeing if you can swing a DISH discount to save money. If the equipment is still the main issue for you, then my point is probably moot because there really isn't a way to work around it unless you go with what others are recommending. Good luck!

I suggest going on DISH Pause, keep all of your equipment in place, and try the streaming service route to see if you like it. It's only $5 a month for Pause and you can go as long as 9 months on it and come back to what you currently have at any time.

If the grass isn't greener there, you can always look at scaling back programming or seeing if you can swing a DISH discount to save money. If the equipment is still the main issue for you, then my point is probably moot because there really isn't a way to work around it unless you go with what others are recommending. Good luck!
I agree. I have both streaming & Dish and quite a few channels I watch are not available with streaming, unless you pay for a big package and they isn't much cheaper than Dish. Plus I would lose a lot of channels. It is not worth it. I go over the list every year trying to save, but unless I want to lose a lot, I stay with Dish. I still have AT250+Supers+Movie Pack. Buck for buck, even with the higher prices these days, it is still the best deal for me.Plus the On Demand material Dish has is great for no extra cost.

... I pay $140 per month and barely watch Dish these days so for me it is time to move on.
I am in a similar situation. I have Amazon Prime and recently added Paramount+ and Netflix. I get my local channels with my rooftop antenna and a TiVo. So I rarely watch Dish Network anymore and am also planning to cancel.

I only have a single receiver (Hopper Duo) with AT120, ShowTime and no locals for $71.15 per month

The ShowTime is only $1.99 per month for 6 months (I started a thread about it).

So instead of cancelling now I figure I'll watch ShowTime for a month or two. Then I'll cancel. And I have a very good reason -- my family's monthly spending currently exceeds our income! So some things have got to go.

EDIT: Forgot to mention about the cancellation process. ... I have subscribed and cancelled Dish twice before. One time I got a return box and the other time I never did. So I got the shipping address from someone here and sent the receiver back to Dish via UPS in an appropriate size box.

Long ago my brother-in-law never got a return box. So he didn't return the receiver and there was a collection agency involved.

But that was long ago and I think most of the time they send you a box. I think they charge you a return shipping fee. And they may charge you for the LNBF if you don't include it in the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
BUT, if you go with a streaming service with the channels, the cost savings likely won't exist.

Not necessarily true.
We were long time subscribers to dish and cut the cord several months ago. We had started streaming for well over a year maybe even 2 years ago and watched dish less and less. Now we are totally streaming using our shield pro tv streaming device from Nvidia. If one does their due diligence they will find streaming far less then what they were paying for Dish. While I will not go into it here , one only has to use their search engine to look into it and there were/are many you tube videos out there that guide people through the process. Those paying $140.00 or more a MONTH could get much more than what they were getting for about $120.00 per YEAR!
I know this to be true as we have done it. I will not say it is for everyone as there are glitches from time to time but overall our family is extremely happy with streaming tv and we have no plans to ever go back nor do we have any regrets.

Cutting the cord with dish was not the most pleasant experience as they kept asking many questions that had nothing to do with them. They wanted to know what we were going to watch and how; which was none of their business. We had a credit on our account at the end and they told us the amount but never refunded that back,so make sure if you have any credits on your account you use them all up or risk losing them. Our equipment was purchased outright so we did not have to send anything back, those who do not own their equipment will need to send it back.

Those paying $140.00 or more a MONTH could get much more than what they were getting for about $120.00 per YEAR!
You know, I'm not going to say that this is impossible because I suppose it can be done. However, it is highly dependent on what one watches. I would guess that anyone who can do this probably wasn't making full use of the $140 plan they were on.

I'd love to get my channels for $120 YEAR, maybe you can help me. I would need to have ESPN, Grit, TMC, TNT, TBS, NFL Network, and The Golf Channel. For that, I pay $83 MONTH for the Top 200 and a Wally. I use a Tivo for local channels OTA.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cutting the cord with dish was not the most pleasant experience as they kept asking many questions that had nothing to do with them....
I also remember it being unpleasant to cancel Dish when I did it on previous occasions.

Many modern services let you cancel easily online by clicking a box. Click and you are done. No waiting on hold forever and getting questioned to death by a salesman trying to get you to stay.

If Dish made the cancellation process easier, customers would not leave Dish with such a bad impression and might be more likely to return at some point in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)