Best way to take a C Band dish off of a pole?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daydreamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
What's the best way to take a C Band dish off of a pole if you are going to take and relocate it to your house? How hard is it? I would think you might have to take the dish apart into two pieces to get it into the back of a pickup truck? I know of at least 6 C Band dishes within 10 miles of my house right now. I would like to see about getting one when the weather warms up this spring.
My neighbors across the street had one and took it out and had it laying in the yard. I think they just threw it away or had it hauled off. I wish I would have ask about it but I didn't think my wife would let me have one in the yard. I have since talked her into letting me have one.
On the way to work I would always see one (at least 8'). Then I saw the guy taking it down one day and I ask about it a couple of days later and he said he got rid of it for scrap. He put it the local paper for $25 and didn't get any takers but I didn't see the paper those 2 days.
I also have been offered one on a 20 foot pole but it's about 50 miles from my house. He says it at least an 8 footer but I haven't seen it. I would think it would be hard to get one off of a 20 foot pole. Sorry about the long rambling post. Thanks for your replies.

Mesh dishes are light enough I just unbolt them from the polar mount then lift it all off and disassemble it on the ground. Solid, you'd need some help.

A 10' mesh is likely to be too heavy and bulky for one person to handle it. As mentioned, you need to remove it from the Polar mount. 3 people would be recommended for this. Be careful not to dent the mesh or warp the frame.

After removing it from the Polar Mount, it should be disassembled to place it on the truck.

Be sure to secure the Polar Mount on the truck so it cannot bang into the dish and create dents.

I moved the 10 footer I have about 20 miles. It is a mesh dish so I took it apart into its 8 sections and moved it inside my full sized van. My wife was nice enough to help me. Before putting it back up I really cleaned up all of the iron parts, phosphated all the rusty spots, gave it a coat of primer and two finish coats of paint. The stainless and aluminum parts I left as is. It was pretty easy to clean up that way. Getting the sections back together so the dish was round and flat across the face was a bit tricky but I got it done.

There was a wasp nest as big as my head inside the feed horn cover. That was tricky too. (I did this in August)

Last edited:
in my opinion the less you take apart the better off you are

my 9 foot solid fit in a pickup feedhorn up. the pickup also has a big behind-the-cab tool box and a headache rack and it still fit nicely, only a foot hung out on the sides. the toolbox or cab kept the dish off those loop things which would have otherwise punctured my dish up :) that you tie down stuff with. 9 foot fits perfectly in a standard traffic lane. 10 footer might make you hug the curb but can be hauled just as easy in whole. dishes, if one person is on each side and lift it up, tend to get top heavy (actually its the mount that makes it hard to hold like it's mounted) so you will need a third person to keep it from flipping out of grip if its a heavy one.

wow on that bees nest did you heave the dish and run? lol

Last edited:
What's the best way to take a C Band dish off of a pole if you are going to take and relocate it to your house? How hard is it? I would think you might have to take the dish apart into two pieces to get it into the back of a pickup truck? I know of at least 6 C Band dishes within 10 miles of my house right now. I would like to see about getting one when the weather warms up this spring.
My neighbors across the street had one and took it out and had it laying in the yard. I think they just threw it away or had it hauled off. I wish I would have ask about it but I didn't think my wife would let me have one in the yard. I have since talked her into letting me have one.
On the way to work I would always see one (at least 8'). Then I saw the guy taking it down one day and I ask about it a couple of days later and he said he got rid of it for scrap. He put it the local paper for $25 and didn't get any takers but I didn't see the paper those 2 days.
I also have been offered one on a 20 foot pole but it's about 50 miles from my house. He says it at least an 8 footer but I haven't seen it. I would think it would be hard to get one off of a 20 foot pole. Sorry about the long rambling post. Thanks for your replies.

I have scrounged 3 dishes , an 8' and 2 - 10' dishes ( on different occasions ) .

The 8' I put in the back of the truck and tied it down . The 2 - 10' dishes , I seperated it into 4 panels , each 1/4 of the dish + the polar mount and accutator .

Tied everything down and away we went . :)

Wyr

I've removed several dishes and the easiest way I found is using a tractor with a front-loader and a chain. You can grap onto the mount and lift it or wrap the pole and pull the pole and dish together. If the cement on the pole is too heavy, just cut it at the base. If you take it with the cement, it can be busted off and the pole reused. Just be advised the dish will tip forward when set free. On the dishes I've removed alone without a tractor, I've taken them completely apart and re-assembled them later, without any loss in reception. Also when they're apart, I can check them for rust, missing parts and straighten out any panels that were dented from hail or tree branches. Just be careful. There are sharp metal edges and the polar mount itself can be real heavy. Have fun.

When I got mine, me and a friend went the day before and put penetrating oil on the screws and bolts. It was a 10' mesh, and pretty easy for us 2, it was about 4 ft. off the ground, and my pole is 6.5' off the ground here and we managed to haul it back here, 40 miles away, on an old trailer...lifted it up in 1 piece and placed it on top of the pole here. Easy move...just make sure you get your pole at your house dug and cemented the day before...have fun with it, I know I did.

I picked up a 10'er yesterday, from an old friend of the family. It's 24 years old, it's a 10' Channel Master fiberglass dish, it has an 85 degree Gould LNA with downconverter (haven't seen an LNA or downconverter, since I changed mine over several years ago), and it was being controlled with an STS MBS-SR receiver with STS MBS-AA contoller (for actuator). It also has a VideoCipher II Descrambler with module, I already have one of those in the closet. He already had pulled it out of the ground with his tractor, and had taken the dish off of the polar mount. I helped him remove the polar mount from the pole. We tried to bust the cement from the pole, but all he had was an axe, which we used the back side of, that's shaped kind of like a mall, and it just wasn't heavy enough. I have a 12 pound sledge hammer, and he's supposed to call me when he's ready to try again, after he tries to drill a few holes in it. I have a Stake Body dump truck, 7'x10', and we loaded the dish and polar mount onto it and tied it down good and tight and I drove home (7-8 miles) at about 30mph with no problems. Lucky me, I didn't have to get on any major roads. It helps a lot when everything sort of works in your favour. Not sure what or when I'll do with it, as I already have 3 BUDs laying around (two 10's and a 12', waiting on me to do something with. But, I just couldn't let him through it away.

Al

Best way to move a c band dish

Im gonna give you the top 10 like letterman does

6. cut if off the pole with sawzall and let it roll down the hill.
5. Attach leftover plastic explosives and go (need I say more)
4. Attach a chain to your Dodge ram and the other end of chain at base of pull and put dodge in Drive.
3. Run it over with the wifes car and drag it home with a borrowed trailer.
2. Call Charles Ergen, him and Jim DeFranco will remove it for you so you will have to sub to E*.
1. Contact a Satelliteguys member , and that member and friends will come over and remove it for you.
Sorry I only thought of 4 someone else can chime in and add 4 more.

I have a 12 pound sledge hammer, and he's supposed to call me when he's ready to try again

But, I just couldn't let him through it away.

I rescued a 7.5" mesh a couple weeks ago when a new neighbor moved in down the street. Same deal, he was going to trash it, and I just couldn't let it happen. I cut the pole off with my torch, thankfully that opened some small cracks in the concrete, but it was still one good workout with the sledge breaking it all up. Not fun.

How Do I Tell Which Feedhorn Is C And Which Is C And Ku Band?

the first one is a CBand only and the second one is the ku (the ku lnb goes on the end of the little elbow) and cband

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 300
  • cku.jpg
    cku.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 287
C Band Or KU Band?

Is either one of these horns KU Band?

Attachments

• DSCF0074.JPG
    DSCF0074.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCF0088.JPG
    DSCF0088.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCF0086.JPG
    DSCF0086.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 298
setup

when i moved my sat i dont think i have the right sat . i have a arm now and i dont know maybe i did something wrong . its confusing whats the best way to find a sat? ne affordable tools?

You don't really need any tools to "find a sat". First of all you are only replacing an arm, so start with going to G5 a fairly strong satellite. you can go to G5 3 and see the trinity channel. Now go east or west and check to make the picture better. when you get a good picture try to adjust the skew if necessary to further improve the picture. Now you have to "recalibrate satellite" to correct the "count" of where everything is to your reciever.

Edit to add: You may want to set your east and west limits before getting started because changing the arm can slightly move this, wouldn't want you to go too far

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)