BestBuy and Costco to stop selling recievers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Two sources. One is a teardown of the HR22-100 from last year that gave the build cost at $188. I could give you a link but its a subscription product and you have to purchase it, and I'm not allowed to disclose the content detail.

Here's the link:
Teardown Analysis - DirecTV Plus HR22-100 HD DVR Set-Top Box - iSuppli

Other source is to break it down ourselves. The broadcom hd dvr chipset which includes just about everything is around $32 in ~10k unit quantity. The WD disk drive in most of these retails for ~$45. The PCB and supporting piece parts with soldering and assembly are going to run around $30-35. The power supply is around $25-30 in quantity one. Sheet metal and box assembly around $30 in larger quantities. Couple of bucks for some cables and the cardboard box it all goes in.

That puts us around $160-180ish without a remote, and I'm sure directv's suppliers get better quantity discounts than 10k unit or single unit pricing. Plus they have a handful of box builders to keep the box pricing competition going.

I'm sure the HR20-100's back 3+ years ago cost a lot more to make. There were a lot more components on the board, the memory it used was expensive then, the disk drive cost a lot more, there were two outboard plug in satellite tuners, it had OTA tuners that cost a good bit, and it required a much more powerful power supply due to the larger content and chips made with a larger nm process.

A corollary to this is the tivo HD. Except for the satellite tuners which are largely integrated in the newer broadcom chip sets without a big hike in the price, the content in the tivo HD is very similar to several of the HR series dvr's. You can buy brand new tivo HD's for under $200 and refurbs for $99. Since tivo may only be making ~$7 a month for these boxes if added to an existing tivo subscription, there obviously isnt a whole lot of service cost subsidizing involved. They're not getting $75-100+ a month in service fees.

That these guys are dropping the product should make a big statement to directv management. Here you have a retailer who can sell computers, cell phones, tivo's, and all other manner of consumer electronics products loaded with contracts, support issues, and enormous complexity and be successful at it and make a profit.

But they cant successfully sell a set top box for a tv and they're either so unsuccessful at it or unprofitable in selling them that they're getting out of the business.

Bestbuy is one thing, but Costco customers tend to be more affluent and intelligent than the average joe, according to their demographics and their employees tend to be a lot further up the retail food chain than most companies.

Directv has to make their sales and pricing models simpler and learn that sometimes its better to make the carrot longer than to continue adding larger sticks.

Is BB and Costco dropping selling the recvrs, or is D* pulling them out of the stores to have complete control ?

Dish did the same thing awhile back.

Is BB and Costco dropping selling the recvrs, or is D* pulling them out of the stores to have complete control ?

Dish did the same thing awhile back.

we are pulling them do to issues of customers not completely understanding it still a lease even if they buy from bb and costco

IF you all find these boxes now only cost $200 to build, or less ....
And they are charging $ 199 or there abouts for most ....

Shouldn't they be owned by the sub ?

Originally they were charging about $850 to "buy one" ...
I can understand with the difference in cost, but none of us know how much they really spend to build them.

Also there is no laws that prevent them from making whatever profit amount that they can...

Pricing of a product rarely has anything to do with the actual production cost. In most cases, the price of a product is calculated as "what the market will bear" -- basically the maximum price the company thinks they can get away with and still sell (or lease) the product.

They find a price that:
* If they raise the price, sales go down to an unacceptable level,
* If they lower the price, they can't produce them fast enough to meet demand (which creates a shortage and raises the price back to a good range, based on supply and demand), or
* If they lower the price, they can't make a profit or at least break even. In a service industry like this, though, they may intentionally take a loss on the production cost of the device just to get the product in their customers' homes to spend more money on the monthly service offerings.

Only one of those bullet points has anything to do with basing the price off of the cost of production. And that one's flexible, since they would have the option of making up the losses by raising monthly subscription fees or lease fees (like DishNet customers are currently griping about, with their significant changes in equipment lease fees).

So, even as production costs inevitably go down (as usually happens with mass-produced electronics), they can maintain the same sale/lease price because the marketplace in general (if not specific individual customers) is willing to pay that price.

If they can reduce production costs and maintain the same sale/lease pricing, then they make a larger profit and have happier shareholders.

So, as I said, pricing of a product rarely has anything to do with the actual production cost.

Both BextBuy and CostCo have already removed DirecTV receivers from their websites, and redirect to DirecTV's site for receiver orders.

Just got off the phone with the local Costco down the street and they have HR22's and H22's in stock....

He has heard no word of them being pulled, thats not to dispute any info hear, they just haven't been informed at the store level yet.

I would imagine they will be available for at least a few week yet.

Didn't bother calling the local BB's they really have no interest in selling them in the first place.

I was told they were going to sell them until there was no more stock left but best buy down here ( I have 3 near me ) all said they got orders to pull recievers and they are shipping them back. Which is different then what I heard.

I was told they were going to sell them until there was no more stock left but best buy down here ( I have 3 near me ) all said they got orders to pull recievers and they are shipping them back. Which is different then what I heard.

Any chance of posting that memo (deleting internal specific stuff that may not pertain to us here on SG, of course)? :)

Any chance of posting that memo (deleting internal specific stuff that may not pertain to us here on SG, of course)? :)

I tried finding it today and it was gone from our reference system, I see if I can find out what happened to it. It might be just bb pulling recievers.

found it.

Sent at:
Subject: <Censored>
Attachments:

The following message is for Customer Care.

What:
All consumer electronics (CE) retail partners – Best Buy and Costco – are no longer carrying DIRECTV receivers or upgrade equipment in store and online.

Note: New customers can still sign up for DIRECTV service through these CE retail partners.

When:
Effective immediately

Why:
To improve the overall customer experience for customers, DIRECTV has decided to no longer make upgrade receivers available at CE retail partners such as Best Buy and Costco.

Several years ago, DIRECTV moved to a lease-only business model for all CE retail partners. The reason behind this was to make our receivers more affordable for customers to acquire them. However, this has created several customer service issues and complaints as customers thought that the receivers they had paid for at a retail partner were owned and not leased; and they misunderstood the terms and conditions of the leased equipment, which includes a customer agreeing to a 12- or 24-month service agreement upon leasing a new receiver.

How:
· Customers who want to replace receivers or upgrade the equipment for their system will need to call DIRECTV at 1-800-DIRECTV or order online at directv.com.

· Customers will still be able to purchase non-receiver related equipment from these retailers (e.g., remote controls, multi-switches, cabling, etc.).

· New customers can still sign up for DIRECTV service at Best Buy and Costco.

Where:
<censored> will soon be updated to reflect this change.

Title says it all, why because customers cant read that it is a lease and not owned when they buy one from retail locations upgrades on equipment are to go through 1800-531-5000 ( national number )
Does DIRECTV think that offering receivers through inventory clearance and drop-ship operations is a more reliable way of getting the point about leasing across?

Does DIRECTV think that offering receivers through inventory clearance and drop-ship operations is a more reliable way of getting the point about leasing across?

You would eliminate the retailer being involved, less hands involved, the better is probably thier thoughts.

To be honest BB and Costco where just being used as examples. DTV retailers ( different from CE retailers ) like Dishstore and weeknees and others will still be allowed to sell the equipment from my understanding .

You would eliminate the retailer being involved, less hands involved, the better is probably thier thoughts.
One of the implied goals of the move was to improve customer awareness and education. I can't imagine how selling HR24s through an operation such as overstock.com (one of the most recent examples) or a "hands-off" drop ship storefront accomplishes this goal. For their part, overstock.com makes no mention either way of the HR24 being an outright purchase or a lease. I use overstock.com as an example as it is the first sales option listed if you google DIRECTV HR24.

Surely there are problems with outlets like BB and Costco, but why force customers to buy something sight unseen and largely without even semi-informed consultation?

With respect to the "examples" that stonecold used:

To be fair, if you look at the Solid Signal listing for the HR24, they mention in the feature overview that it is a lease, but they refer you to the specifications for details and there are none related to leasing.

weakknees.com seems to neglect any discussion of the whether the HR24 that you buy from them is leased or owned. They're all over the fact that it isn't a TiVo though.

Last edited:
found it.

Sent at:
Subject: <Censored>
Attachments:

The following message is for Customer Care.

What:
All consumer electronics (CE) retail partners – Best Buy and Costco – are no longer carrying DIRECTV receivers or upgrade equipment in store and online.

Note: New customers can still sign up for DIRECTV service through these CE retail partners.

When:
Effective immediately

Why:
To improve the overall customer experience for customers, DIRECTV has decided to no longer make upgrade receivers available at CE retail partners such as Best Buy and Costco.

Several years ago, DIRECTV moved to a lease-only business model for all CE retail partners. The reason behind this was to make our receivers more affordable for customers to acquire them. However, this has created several customer service issues and complaints as customers thought that the receivers they had paid for at a retail partner were owned and not leased; and they misunderstood the terms and conditions of the leased equipment, which includes a customer agreeing to a 12- or 24-month service agreement upon leasing a new receiver.

How:
· Customers who want to replace receivers or upgrade the equipment for their system will need to call DIRECTV at 1-800-DIRECTV or order online at directv.com.

· Customers will still be able to purchase non-receiver related equipment from these retailers (e.g., remote controls, multi-switches, cabling, etc.).

· New customers can still sign up for DIRECTV service at Best Buy and Costco.

Where:
<censored> will soon be updated to reflect this change.

Thank you!:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)